Enhanced Auto Pilot Question

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Chihuahua

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My invite is quickly approaching and am deciding whether or not to order EAP. I have a pretty simple question. If you don't order EAP, does the display on the touchscreen still show you cars that are detected around you? This would be best answered by someone who has already taken delivery of a car without EAP. For example, shown in this from an S/X instrument cluster:

I looked around at other EAP threads trying to find the answer to this. Please forgive me if it is answered elsewhere.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a good question... I do know that when we tested the Model 3 EAP wasn't available to use on the car (even though the owner had paid for EAP) but it was showing the cars so at least it was detecting them.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My invite is quickly approaching and am deciding whether or not to order EAP. I have a pretty simple question. If you don't order EAP, does the display on the touchscreen still show you cars that are detected around you? This would be best answered by someone who has already taken delivery of a car without EAP. For example, shown in this from an S/X instrument cluster:

I looked around at other EAP threads trying to find the answer to this. Please forgive me if it is answered elsewhere.
Safety is standard, so the car is always detecting what is around whether you have EAP or not. I can’t say 100% what the screen shows, but given that the car doesn’t have blind spot detection in the mirrors I have to imagine the screen is showing obstacles.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Mine showed the cars when the EAP was still calibrating and unavailable, so I a assume so. Please as @SoFlaModel3 said, you still get the emergency braking and (I think) TACC without EAP, so it would have to see the cars for that anyway. The current EAP only shows the cars in the lane in front of you, nothing in the lanes next to you except arcs around the sensors when they detect something next to you. I don't know if the cars in the other lanes will ever be added, or if that's how the new EAP is intended to operate.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Adjacent lane vehicles are only shown in AP1. Different graphics for truck/motorcycle/car are only in AP1. AP2 and AP2.5 are still car graphic only and same lane only (not including reindeer)

Chihuahua

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I knew I had seen pictures of adjacent lane vehicles, but I guess it was discontinued. I wonder why that was rolled back. Maybe it wasn't very accurate. Adjacent lane indications are actually all I am interested in. This is to cover the situation where you turn on your turn signal, check your blind spot only to find a car there. This is especially valuable due to the fact that checking your blind spot usually causes you to drift albeit slightly in anticipation of the lane change.

There is still no confirmation either way that other vehicles are displayed in non-EAP cars (not just ones where it wasn't active or calibrated yet).

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Yes, it does. My car was delivered before EAP was rolled out to M3. However, my car wasn't configured for EAP by mistake (had to contact Tesla to add it after I saw other owners using it). My car has shown other cars on the screen at all points throughout the process. Pre-EAP roll-out, post EAP roll out but not configured with EAP (which is your question), and after EAP was added to the car.

Chihuahua

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Yes, it does. My car was delivered before EAP was rolled out to M3. However, my car wasn't configured for EAP by mistake (had to contact Tesla to add it after I saw other owners using it). My car has shown other cars on the screen at all points throughout the process. Pre-EAP roll-out, post EAP roll out but not configured with EAP (which is your question), and after EAP was added to the car.
Thanks for the information. I just watched a Model 3 EAP video showing the side radar indications of a vehicle present.

Tdh

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Does a M3 with no EAP still get TACC? Also, how does the car alert you if there is another car in your blindspot while changing lanes, or does it?

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They could eventually add blind spot monitoring with software, but cross traffic alert requires radar, so that will never happen.
I was assuming the rear side-view cameras in AP2 were meant for eventually detecting (rear) cross traffic via computer vision instead of relying on radar. Is it known that "it will never happen", or is that your opinion (honestly curious).

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The only camera far enough back to be able to do that (tell you that a car is approaching as you back out of a parking space) is the rear facing camera, and it is not wide enough to warn you of something coming from down the aisle.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was assuming the rear side-view cameras in AP2 were meant for eventually detecting (rear) cross traffic via computer vision instead of relying on radar. Is it known that "it will never happen", or is that your opinion (honestly curious).
The car is flanked with ultrasonic sensors for detecting objects up close.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
File under the category of 'take a second look'. I downloaded a bunch of photos from the internet to set up a screen saver. This one caught my attention this morning. Why settle for EAP?
tesla-model-3-interior-png.5354