Enhanced auto pilot - only work on highway driving?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TSLA_Model<3

Enhanced auto pilot only works on highway at the moment right? (for model 3)
It cannot be active on local roads? Is there a speed limit? Say can it be engaged on local road that is 35-45 mph speed limit?
What else do you get with EAP? Summon, and parallel parking on its own?

What is the general consensus amongst most people? Get it at the time of purchase for $5k or wait till later?
I am thinking it put 5k away and buy Tesla stock and sell it when it goes to 6k+ and buy it, in the end same cost but have to pay capital gains tax on it lol

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I want EAP, but my wife doesn’t want me to get it — lack of trust (even though we’ve taken out my dad’s S numerous times and she’s experienced how good it is).

FSD for me personally it’s a wait. Who knows, I could go sell my car and it still may not be available yet.

If you’re financing the car, it’s worth considering buying EAP today especially as that $5,000 will be nicely spread across your payment term rather than being a $6,000 charge to your CC down the road.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
+1 to what @MelindaV said already here about the limitations and proper locations for when to use EAP.

To answer your other questions:

Is there a speed limit? - EAP is limited to a max speed of 90 mph.

Can it be engaged on local road that is 35-45 mph speed limit?- not wise to use it on local, unmarked or poorly marked roads. Speed limits are a bit tricky depending on AP 1 or AP2 hardware. For simplicity's sake let's talk only about AP2. These are my experiences with speed and EAP:

1. On the freeway, default speed is set by the GPS data from Tesla. If I engage AP at 50mph on a freeway with a speed limit of 65, the car will go up to 65mph and maintain that speed if there are no other cars in front of it. I can manually change the speed to go higher or lower via the touchscreen (and yes agree would be nice if that was adjusted via scroll wheel).

2. If I engage AP above the 65mph road speed limit, say at 70mph, the car will maintain 70mph unless another car is in front or I manually adjust.

3. I have used AP on large and very well marked local roads well-traveled by other Teslas and engaged it to help relieve the monotony of stop and go traffic. Speed limit rules in #1 apply if available. If the car does not have the speed limit from its data banks it remains at whatever you set it. Mind you though, I only used AP while sitting in traffic with other cars so the Tesla was going 20mph tops the whole time it was engaged.

What else do you get with EAP? Summon, and parallel parking on its own? Summon sounds like a yes, eventually. The app shows the options to summon but doesn't actually do anything on the car yet from what I've tried. Parallel AND perpendicular parking is active now and working. Minor pedantic clarification: the driver still needs to position the car properly and engage Autopark from inside the car so it's not 100% "parking on its own" just yet. (I WISH the car could find and park in a slot all by itself without me inside! That would be a godsend in San Francisco!) :p

What is the general consensus amongst most people? Get it at the time of purchase for $5k or wait till later?

I think it's worth the $5k. Originally I did not want EAP due to budget, but spouse convinced me it was worth it. He was right. I use it every day and it makes the commute SO much easier and relaxing. Still don't use Autopark a lot because it just freaks me out, but gotta admit it looks like the car parks itself better than I can in some situations. :rolleyes:

TSLA_Model<3

+1 to what @MelindaV said already here about the limitations and proper locations for when to use EAP.

To answer your other questions:

Is there a speed limit? - EAP is limited to a max speed of 90 mph.

Can it be engaged on local road that is 35-45 mph speed limit?- not wise to use it on local, unmarked or poorly marked roads. Speed limits are a bit tricky depending on AP 1 or AP2 hardware. For simplicity's sake let's talk only about AP2. These are my experiences with speed and EAP:

1. On the freeway, default speed is set by the GPS data from Tesla. If I engage AP at 50mph on a freeway with a speed limit of 65, the car will go up to 65mph and maintain that speed if there are no other cars in front of it. I can manually change the speed to go higher or lower via the touchscreen (and yes agree would be nice if that was adjusted via scroll wheel).

2. If I engage AP above the 65mph road speed limit, say at 70mph, the car will maintain 70mph unless another car is in front or I manually adjust.

3. I have used AP on large and very well marked local roads well-traveled by other Teslas and engaged it to help relieve the monotony of stop and go traffic. Speed limit rules in #1 apply if available. If the car does not have the speed limit from its data banks it remains at whatever you set it. Mind you though, I only used AP while sitting in traffic with other cars so the Tesla was going 20mph tops the whole time it was engaged.
:rolleyes:
Very good reminder about using EAP during stop and go traffic!
Okay just for that alone it's worth it.
I am now convinced to get it. :)
Thx

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Very good reminder about using EAP during stop and go traffic!
Okay just for that alone it's worth it.
I am now convinced to get it. :)
Thx
Others have noted that in stop and go traffic, for smoother driving, don’t keep the max speed at the speed limit, but something like 10 over your current max speed. So set it to 25 instead of 80 and it will feel more like a person driving and a 15 year old learning to drive person driving.

TSLA_Model<3

Others have noted that in stop and go traffic, for smoother driving, don’t keep the max speed at the speed limit, but something like 10 over your current max speed. So set it to 25 instead of 80 and it will feel more like a person driving and a 15 year old learning to drive person driving.
Melinda,
Highway EAP, if the speed limit is 65 MPH, can I set auto pilot to go more than 5+ MPH speed limit? Say, I want to go at 80 MPH, would EAP allow me to cruise that fast? I remember reading somewhere that - there is some sort of software lock that does not allow you to go over certain speed limit.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Melinda,
Highway EAP, if the speed limit is 65 MPH, can I set auto pilot to go more than 5+ MPH speed limit? Say, I want to go at 80 MPH, would EAP allow me to cruise that fast? I remember reading somewhere that - there is some sort of software lock that does not allow you to go over certain speed limit.
65+5=80 ? ;)

IIRC, the current released version can be set up to 90 when it recognizes it's being used in the appropriate place (divided highway).

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
it is for divided highways only, not local roads or un-divided highways.
what it does / doesn't do: https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

I most definitely will be getting EAP from day one... maybe FSD as well.
I have EAP on my X now but I will not be getting it on my 3 because the software is not ready and my kids, who will be new drivers, will have enough on their minds trying to navigate unpredictable drivers without worrying about unpredictable steering and braking actions from this unfinished software.

Regarding FSD, I STRONGLY recommend waiting. I am almost at the 6 month ownership period for my Model X and I want to buy the extended warranty. If I buy before 6 months, I get 20% off or I can buy anytime before the warranty expires and pay full price. The extended warranty is transferrable to the next owner if I decide to sell my car. The reason why I don't want to buy now and why you should also not get FSD now is that I will not be able to benefit from this purchase for SEVERAL years and if I get into an accident and total the car (which Teslas are very easily "totaled" with minimal damage) the extended warranty or FSD is nonrefundable. Not to mention whether or not the current AP2.5 technology will meet any requirements of future laws dictating the minimum abilities for an autonomous car....

Last edited:

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
... The extended warranty is transferrable to the next owner if I decide to sell my car. The reason why I don't want to buy now and why you should also not get FSD now is that I will not be able to benefit from this purchase for SEVERAL years and if I get into an accident and total the car (which Teslas are very easily "totaled" with minimal damage) the extended warranty or FSD is nonrefundable.
But if you total the car, the value of FSD and the warranty should be baked into any settlement, right?
Since you can sell them with a transfer to another person.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
But if you total the car, the value of FSD and the warranty should be baked into any settlement, right?
Since you can sell them with a transfer to another person.
Usually not but thankfully I've never had a car totaled so I can't be sure. My understanding is that the ins. co. usually gives you some cooked up number that is not enough for you to buy an identical replacement and many times, people are underwater on their loans or leases.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Usually not but thankfully I've never had a car totaled so I can't be sure. My understanding is that the ins. co. usually gives you some cooked up number that is not enough for you to buy an identical replacement and many times, people are underwater on their loans or leases.
There is additional coverage possible for "new car replacement" and "gap insurance" as well. I've never opted for new car replacement, but always carry gap insurance. Last thing I want to do is total a new car and write a check for the amount under water that I am (of course this has never happened, but still feel it's worth being covered).

Johnm6875

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
There is additional coverage possible for "new car replacement" and "gap insurance" as well. I've never opted for new car replacement, but always carry gap insurance. Last thing I want to do is total a new car and write a check for the amount under water that I am (of course this has never happened, but still feel it's worth being covered).
"New car replacement" is all well and good but, how long would that take. Might it be prudent to reserve a second Model 3 now as "insurance? "

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
"New car replacement" is all well and good but, how long would that take. Might it be prudent to reserve a second Model 3 now as "insurance? "
Well that's a whole different story -- you're made whole, but you can't necessarily get the car :(

Let's hope this doesn't happen to anyone!

DR61

Country
Country
I totalled a car (Ford, 2013-model year) a year ago, and my USAA insurance gave me about $1000 over the expected Kelly Blue Book retail amount. They even included two child seats and an aftermarket trailer hitch. Although the accident was a real bummer (no serious injury thank goodness), this was an unexpected bonus.

RolfS

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Regarding FSD, whether to get it or not. Elon Musk said that in 2 years it will be able to drive as well as a human and in three years an order of magnitude better (10x). Elon is always very optimistic so take that with a grain of salt. But, he also said at the Q3 financial phone conference that if it turns out that the sensors and/or computer hardware is inadequate for FSD Tesla will eat the additional cost of the upgrade for those that bought FSD at the time of purchase. If not purchased then there will be an extra charge to upgrade the hardware if you want to add FSD.

I got that information from one of the episodes of “The Tesla Show” podcast.

I have not made that decision yet, but then I have a year to wait. Things will probably change by then. I will be getting the EAP for sure.