Enhaced vs Full? I thought I bought Full .....

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought my car in December of 2018. for all I know, and my best recollection I bought it with the packaged that promised that in the future it will support a full self driving car.
With this car I can do autopilot, autopilot on the highway with on/off ramp support .... for all I know, I am getting out of the car, the max possible (given, hardware/computer is v2).

But today I got this message:

1565138057118-png.28179

The offer is to buy the full Self Driving capabilities. But I thought I had it ... reading the description of what the Full Self-Driving brings to the table, it looks indeed like everything I already have.
My thinking, "Ha, they probably blasted everyone or just made an error ..." as clearly, my car is just waiting for the full self driving capabilities that one day will show up (I even heard one person claiming it will be this year :) )

Out of curiosity, I logged in to my Tesla account to see what did I buy. I was sure the site will confirm that indeed I have the "Full" -

Surprise, surprise ... I have only ehhanced.

Are they for real? did I pay for the promise and now being offered to pay extra for the Promise + $3000. This cant be, cant it?

I am hopping this is just because Tesla change the terminology but then I would have expect them to update the website and say what I bought is the Full.

other folks around Dec 2018 - did you buy "Full" at the time? did you get similar email? are we missing out on anything?

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The $5k you paid in December 2018 was for enhanced autopilot (EAP) only. FSD had been taken off the menu at that time. I did buy it at that time off-menu for the same $3k they are now offering it to cars with EAP. (Edit: Thus the total price is $5k for EAP at time of purchase +$3k for FSD =$8k.)

Note that at the moment, your car with EAP can do everything that car with FSD can do. There is not yet any differentiation in features available for FSD vs EAP, but that is to change. At least that is what those of us who purchased FSD are banking on.

Edit #2: They did change terminology a bit. EAP can no longer be purchased. Cars now come with Autopilot (AP) without the Enhanced. Plain AP can’t do lane changes nor Navigate on Autopilot.

Last edited:

HDWizard

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I purchased FSD and have confirmed on My Tesla account that I have it but I did receive the same offer via email??????????????? Must just be a blast email and was sent in error to some. Anyone confirm?

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I purchased FSD and have confirmed on My Tesla account that I have it but I did receive the same offer via email??????????????? Must just be a blast email and was sent in error to some. Anyone confirm?
I have FSD and did not get the email. If your Tesla account shows FSD, it seems nothing to worry about. But I too would be curious if it’s a widespread mistake.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got the same email. I presently have EAP and it's still sketchy when two lanes merge into one, some lane changes, certain offramps, etc.

Nothing I see with EAP presently is inspiring me to get FSD. I'd rather wait until the FSD bugs are worked out fully, even if that means I have to pay $5K later. More than that, it's not worth it to me.

All that said, EAP turned one of my most aggravating driving situations-- bumper-to-bumper traffic-- to one of the more relaxing times to be in a car. And road trips are so much more pleasant on long stretches of highway away from cities. So if I never get FSD, I don't think I'll be missing much.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FSD or no FSD, get the option so they upgrade you to HW3. Which will likely improve EAP features and others features that depend on neural net processing.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The email is misleading and I wouldn't stress over it. There are four levels of autopilot:

None - basic speed-keeping cruise control only, no steering, no traffic following (safety collision avoidance features still function)
Basic Autopilot - traffic following and auto steer in same highway lane only. Currently included in all cars
Enhanced Autopilot - adds lane changing and ramps (NOA), summon/enhanced summon, auto park. No longer sold but many of us paid $7k for this last year.
Full Self Driving - Currently nothing more than EAP, but future full self driving on all roads including side roads in a year or two. Many years off cars can be robotaxis.

airbusav8r

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t quite recall what thread this is in; however, someone created a really nice chart of what you will get with EAP versus FSD.

Maybe search for “EAP FSD differences,” sorry I would but I’m oh my phone.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought my car in December of 2018. for all I know, and my best recollection I bought it with the packaged that promised that in the future
First, you should confirm that you purchased Full Self Driving, and not just Enhanced Autopilot.

If you can confirm that, then don't worry about the email. Several other people who purchased FSD have reported receiving this email. So Tesla's "marketing" department seems to have goofed a bit when creating the mailing list.

Country
Country
I too received that email and I live in Canada. Has anyone in Canada upgraded through this offer?

When I went to purchase the upgrade it tells me it is $4,000. Is this a mistake or just accounting for the exchange rate for the Canadian dollar? It is confusing as they don't show which currency they're referring to. I'd hate to be charged $4,000 USD.

2Kap

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still kicking myself for not getting FSD when it dropped to $2,000. And i've been waiting for it to drop back down ever since. I guess i'll finally pull the trigger at $3,000 on August 15th at 11:59pm, lol.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, you should confirm that you purchased Full Self Driving, and not just Enhanced Autopilot.

If you can confirm that, then don't worry about the email. Several other people who purchased FSD have reported receiving this email. So Tesla's "marketing" department seems to have goofed a bit when creating the mailing list.
further down the post they say their account shows EAP but not FSD. Correct @r-e-l ? did you vehicle purchase agreement list FSD? From the first part of your post, it sounds to me like you are describing that you purchased a car that has the equipment capable of FSD (which every Model 3 is), but that you did not purchase the FSD option only EAP. There was a time around when you purchase, that Tesla removed the option to purchase FSD at the time of the vehicle purchase, and stated it would only be available to purchase at a later date, because Elon felt it was confusing people who were purchasing FSD at the time they bought, and its feature set wasn't yet available.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
further down the post they say their account shows EAP but not FSD.
I think others have had that issue too. Their accounts online still show EAP even though they purchased FSD. IIRC, they were able to confirm that they had FSD when they called Tesla, but it still wouldn't appear online.

Tesla has removed FSD from the ordering process; however, when I go to 'View Vehicle Details', FSD (which I purchased before delivery) is now missing from my options list... anyone else seeing this?

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV

My wife was telling me that when we ordered the car, we bought the best option that was available (with respect to autopilot). She cant recall what it was called but "we got it" - this is why for the longest time I assumed I have a car that is "ready" for FSD pending blah, blah ...

per your note, its possible that indeed the FSD was off when we bought the car (early Dec) and that is why we thought we have it (we paid 5K).

So now I am starting to think that I never had FSD …. one could say I am lucky as I got 8 month of "feeling good I have FSD" for free and its the same functionality, others will say …"am disappointed and not sure I would bought the enhanced had I thought it will never get to the FSD level" ...

One thing is for sure.... they made a mess. same features name with different capabilities based on when you bought the car is a good recipe. I looked for answers on Twitter and its filled by confused people..

thanks all ..

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 2 cents... Got my 3 about a year ago with EAP. Decided while ordering that another $3k for something that was off in the future was something to wait for and pay the advertised $4k "After Delivery" price later. Was hovering my mouse over the Submit button for the FSD $2k upgrade last March but knew my wife would go ballistic! Just bought it for $3k as soon as it was offered. Want the newer hardware even if FSD takes forever.
In my not so humble opinion you better jump on FSD upgrade from EAP now for the $3000 if you think you might ever want it. It will not be any cheaper and it WILL go up in price. I drive every day most of my commute in AP. I would use Navigate on AP but the highway I commute on only has a few miles out of the 60 I drive that it accepts. I believe the new hardware will improve my commute even if it is plain old AP for the trip!
The price right now for EAP people is $1000 cheaper than it was advertised for when you got the car (after delivery price). That is the best it will ever be.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I paid 5K at purchase for EAP, then took the bait and paid the 2K for the FSD sometime in what, February 2019 this year on discount. I’m fine and set and will get H3, and all features.

At this point, whatever anyone HAS paid, if they don’t have FSD, for the 3K it’s probably decent money to pay. I put the chance of a lower price 2K or 0K in the future at less than 25% and less than 10%.

Money is money, but I just wanted it all ACCESSIBLE to me if I wanted for both use, fun and resale.

Status
Not open for further replies.