Engaging Autopilot...softly!

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just discovered this, I had always assumed that to engage Autopilot you had to press the Drive stalk all the way down through the first detent twice, making a noticeable “chu-chunk, chu-chunk” sound to turn it on. I think in all the YouTube videos I watched before delivery, that’s how AP was always engaged. Just accidentally found out all you need is a soft tap down to the first resistance point (or 2 soft taps for full AP), just like using the 3-click turn signal blinker. At lot less clunky (literally) and quicker to turn on either cruise or full AP, since you’re not throwing the lever all the way down. I’m sure I’m the only one who hadn’t already noticed this!

Last edited:

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On that note... Any idea how to "softly" disengage auto steering while keeping TACC engaged? Wrestling the wheel from the car's control will do it, but that's not exactly soft.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On that note... Any idea how to "softly" disengage auto steering while keeping TACC engaged? Wrestling the wheel from the car's control will do it, but that's not exactly soft.
That is the only way to disengage autosteer but keep TACC in a single move.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, I just do a quick up/down to disengage A/P and reengage TACC. Usually quick enough the car hasn’t started to slow down or anything. Even quicker to do if you just do the half-movement!

Country
Country
I just got my M3 so I’ve been playing around with auto pilot. Anyone know where the documentation is for operating it. I can only find videos on Tesla’s site. I was looking for a methond to keep TACC but disengage autosteer. I will have try the quick up down on the stalk. But there should be a way to disengage autosteer but keep TACC with one move. Press the autosteer icon on the screen maybe?

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my M3 so I’ve been playing around with auto pilot. Anyone know where the documentation is for operating it. I can only find videos on Tesla’s site. I was looking for a methond to keep TACC but disengage autosteer. I will have try the quick up down on the stalk. But there should be a way to disengage autosteer but keep TACC with one move. Press the autosteer icon on the screen maybe?
Wiggle the steering wheel until you hear the beep... taco will stay on and auto steer will disengage

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
in addition to what @AEDennis said, I think the manual also notes you can click the stock up once to disengage AP and keep TACC. (or put your foot back on the accelerator, to disengage it all then re-engage TACC with the single click down).

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
in addition to what @AEDennis said, I think the manual also notes you can click the stock up once to disengage AP and keep TACC. (or put your foot back on the accelerator, to disengage it all then re-engage TACC with the single click down).
Clicking up once will disengage both.