Emergency Kit for the Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, just put my order in for my Model 3, looking at putting together an "emergency kit" for my car. Rather than go through and buy a $30 kit, was going to put some thought into in and get something that is actually practical.

I'm in the northern climate, so there is a decent chance I could find myself off the road or stuck in cold weather at some point.

That being said, here is my "proposed" kit.

12V Jump Starter/Power Bank. For opening frunk and 12V battery issues. Also going to include a spare set of charging cables for phones in case of extended time with no power.
Tire Inflator/Can of Fix a Flat (or slime). Also including a 12V extension cable
HeadLamp with Spare Batteries
Road Flares or Reflective Triangle Set.
Foldable Shovel.
Extra Windshield Washer Fluid.
Duct Tape
First Aid Kid.
Multi Tool
A few bottles of Water
Poncho
Tow Strap
Fire Extinguisher.
Blanket

Anything specific to the Model 3 I should be including? Any glaring omissions? Can I fit all of this in the "lower" trunk section?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tire Inflator/Can of Fix a Flat (or slime). Also including a 12V extension cable
A jack and a tire plug kit. That slime will ruin the TPMS sensors - use it only if you have no other choice and have to get moving again. A plug will make the tire almost as good as new. You'll want a small jack & lug wrench to allow you to remove a wheel. It makes it easier to plug a tire.
Definitely get a plug kit, small portable compressor, and a scissor jack. That will handle running over nails and other sharp road debris.

I make due with that for my Leaf, but I won't be going on any road trips in that car. We'll have to see what donuts will fit the Model 3.

I've used the plugs twice now. Both times it was a slow leak, and I was able to fix the tires in my garage.

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's a big empty space where the front motor belongs. ;)
That you can't get to if the 12V is dead. Unless you come in from underneath, in which case you need to carry floor jack and blocks with you.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I have an issue, I plan on hanging out until roadside arrives. Kit complete :p

That said, I have a nail clipper, extra contacts, Advil, 4 ponchos, a small Tesla umbrella, and the SeatBrella (for after runs).

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I have an issue, I plan on hanging out until roadside arrives. Kit complete :p

That said, I have a nail clipper, extra contacts, Advil, 4 ponchos, a small Tesla umbrella, and the SeatBrella (for after runs).
Don't forget the tequila and margarita mix! I know that's not "First Aid" but it is certainly "Second Aid"

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Underneath is the *only* way to access that area.
Coming in from the top is easier than lifting the car and getting through the bottom cladding imo. Of course neither access method, nor the front motor area itself, is practical for roadside self-rescue imo:

My own method will be a kit exactly like the OP's, stuck in frunk (if its in the trunk, no access with no 12V). Small 12V pack attached to a hidden exterior part of the car to get into the frunk.

Impatient

Country
Country
And won't you have to monitor/recharge the 12V power bank because of vampire loss? We have a couple of those for cell phones and we need to top them off from time to time if they've been unused. This would probably be even more the case if the power bank is stored at ambient temperature.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Small 12V pack attached to a hidden exterior part of the car to get into the frunk.
I don't know how to get someone to test it, but I would be willing to bet a standard 9v battery will be enough to pop the frunk. My plan is to just grab one of these out of the nearest smoke detector if it's ever required.
battery-png.5929

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know how to get someone to test it, but I would be willing to bet a standard 9v battery will be enough to pop the frunk. My plan is to just grab one of these out of the nearest smoke detector if it's ever required.
View attachment 5929
Great timing on this question:

https://youtu.be/Y1WRR1Cl78A

Easy long shelf life solution for emergency frunk release!

I'd still carry one with me on the road or attached to the exterior on the vehicle. May not be too many smoke detectors to grab one out of on the 5 :D .

Last edited:

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@ölbrenner I just saw the YouTube video on Reddit and was coming to post a link. I swear the timing is just a coincidence.

So can anyone walk up to a Model 3 and open the frunk with a 9v battery or do you need the key card / phone on you at the same time?

If it’s anybody then make sure you do not leave any valuables in there!

ölbrenner

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So can anyone walk up to a Model 3 and open the frunk with a 9v battery or do you need the key card / phone on you at the same time?

If it’s anybody then make sure you do not leave any valuables in there!
9V thread has the info.

1) 9V battery alone will open frunk (apparently regardless if the 12V is dead or not, contrary to the M(odel)3 manual)
2) Phone will open frunk if 12V is not dead
3) Keycard alone has no frunk functionality
4) Any thief can get in anytime without any of the above (not just the frunk, but the whole car), so the same rules regarding valuables left behind apply here as with any other car

But Tesla should correct the manual regarding external frunk release, or better yet fix the issue.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Keep a rechargeable 9v battery (with terminals covered) in the bottom of the center console cubby? If there is such a thing as a 12v-9v trickle charger/conditioner you could always have it ready to go. Prolly would not be a difficult circuit to design if Amazon is no mas.

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
9V thread has the info.

Care to post a link please (the search did not find anything other than this thread)

Keep a rechargeable 9v battery (with terminals covered) in the bottom of the center console cubby? If there is such a thing as a 12v-9v trickle charger/conditioner you could always have it ready to go. Prolly would not be a difficult circuit to design if Amazon is no mas.
How is a 9v battery inside the car going to be of use?
surely if you can access the inside of the car then the frunk can be opened normally?
or am I missing something?

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is no mechanical frunk release inside the car. There is a mechanical release for the front doors. So I’m thinking he could store his kit in the frunk, and use the 9v to jimmy the frunk in case of a flat 12v battery.