Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, don't knock it 'til you try it.
  • Very quiet
  • Incredible amounts of torque
  • No transmission required - direct drive
  • The only exhaust is good ol' H₂O
Other than that last point, it sounds like I'm describing a Tesla.
OMG! So beautiful! Even if it's still a fossil car.
Hey, for classics and crazy things like this we need to keep some gas on sale!

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
No gasoline in a steam engine - maybe some coal. Ha
I think he said 'gas' a couple of times there... Like when he was talking about the fuel filler cap. But was mostly speaking of the actual locomotion system, which is steam driven. He sort of glossed over the part where the boiler system is driven by heat from a gas furnace to create the 'plasma' that creates the super-heated steam. And only referred to 'steam oil' as a necessary lubricant in the system. It is probably a very efficient, if incredibly complicated, drive system -- but is still ultimately fossil fuel driven.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are even diesel-steam driven train locomotives, just as there are diesel-electric train locomotives.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think he said 'gas' a couple of times there... Like when he was talking about the fuel filler cap. But was mostly speaking of the actual locomotion system, which is steam driven. He sort of glossed over the part where the boiler system is driven by heat from a gas furnace to create the 'plasma' that creates the super-heated steam. And only referred to 'steam oil' as a necessary lubricant in the system. It is probably a very efficient, if incredibly complicated, drive system -- but is still ultimately fossil fuel driven.
confession - didn't watch the video :eek:

Gary Moore

Country
Country
  • Very quiet
  • Incredible amounts of torque
  • No transmission required - direct drive
  • The exhaust is good ol' H₂O
Other than that last point, it sounds like I'm describing a Tesla.
Thanks so much for posting this. I always love seeing history from Jay's garage.

The first three items in the list are winners in my book.

Of course, water vapor is itself a greenhouse gas. If all eight billion samples of humanity were now out driving our Doble's, it could be rather problematic. Thermodynamic inefficiency is just another word for waste, if you do not recycle the heat.

Even in California, I don't open the windows in winter and magnanimously try to heat my entire neighborhood. During the now-setting Oil Age, about 87% of the energy we have used has gone to waste. We're pumping heat into the atmosphere, which is a factor in global warming. (Of course, our major culprit today is producing other exhaust gases which to do dissipate as readily as steam and trap the free solar heat we get.)

Getting from point A to point B with less waste is the goal. Solar panels on your home advantageously do not suffer the ill effects of cranking up the voltage to shoot the juice back and forth across miles of high tension transmission towers just to get it to your television or vehicle. It's the distribution of losses that kill you. If you waste most of your energy in your usage of it, expect to get an "F" from the head master in thermodynamics on your report card.

The sun shoots enough light power (about 480 exajoules) directly at the surface of the Earth in just an hour and a half to equal the current (no pun intended) total annual use of energy by humanity.

If you wonder why extraterrestrials do not visit us and stop in to chat, please imagine how ignorant they must find a species which gets free power continually delivered to it from 93 million miles away, and then cannot even manage to transfer that power supply those last few miles adequately for its beneficial use. Perhaps in a galaxy far, far away, we're getting the Darwin Award for the most likely to go extinct by robbing ourselves ineptly.

Going along with something else which Jay has mentioned in the video, the namesake of my alma mater, Charles Kettering, along with Henry Leland, patented the electric starter in 1911. Turning a switch and having a battery start your vehicle helped to break the back of a steam technology which had a 13-step startup process. The average driver did not have a "man" (as Jay mentions) to start his car and maintain it. Nor was the new driver throng of the Roaring Twenties as techno-savvy as was Howard Hughes.

As they say down at the proud pork packing plant, the only part of the pig they don't use is the squeal.

It is critically important to understand history. Without it, we may become clueless as to how to interpret the future staring us in the face.

Steam was the old-guard technology of 1925, and yet the Doble was still striving to stave off the ICE. Look how complex the Doble is, just as an ICE looks today when compared to what is under the bonnet of a Tesla.

Complexity in your engineering is not a sign that you that are efficiently coping with the complexity in your environment; it's a sign that you are rather floundering and treading about in hot water.

Gary Moore

Country
Country
What is it with people that have been on this forum for 5 minutes, have no posts, but like to hand out negative ratings?
Abject fear is always a strong contender. Even some who have shorted TSLA for years are now abandoning that sinking ship. There is nothing quite like utter terror to bring out the alleged villagers with torches.

Gilberto Pe-Curto

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
We've had a conversation here about the exact same thing.
One of my colleagues has that kind of love for the smell, noise and feeling of ICE cars.
And when he was arguing that, I did almost the same comment...
:)

Gary Moore

Country
Country
Breaking News: Shortville devastated by global climate change and that son of a fashion model, also the sire of Model S. X and 3. Stay tuned for further continuing, live coverage of Model Y, a new Roadster, and assorted driverless trucks shown running over critics.

Not afraid of AI yet? There's a Dragon with your name on it.

Bob Lutz, eat your heart out. Oorah! Dive, dive!

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
still on the sans-underpants
Wow. This is the sort of offhand comment (funny though it may be) that got Oprah sued by 'Big Meat' in Texas... No wonder the Texas Assembly decided yet again not to allow direct sales by Tesla for the third time in five years.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
Funny @MelindaV mentioned this in the brand new Elon fan thread just started by @Brokedoc , as it had indeed been a while this particular thread was refreshed...

Coincidentally I just ran into this one last night... :D

Thank you for this! Several of the points included here give insight to Elon Musk's personality. I get the impression that his detractors have largely not seen this video, or any of the full interviews and conferences it is compiled from... I think I will start sharing it with Trolls on General Principle going forward. :cool:

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
Really tails off near the end, but still, funny ;)

More recently, I loved this:
Beautiful. Life should be fun. It is fun to set goals that others complain/advise are impossible to achieve, then reach them anyway. It isn't arrogance if you can do it. You can do it if you don't give up because someone else told you to. Determination often trumps Detractors, to their Dismay, no matter how much they Deny results. I like being a hardheaded person that no one can tell what to do. Don't you?