Elon and Tesla...Marketing Genius!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So...with no little amount of fanfare, you roll out the quickest production car in human history (by a lot), oh and by the way it also destroys every gripe one could possibly come up with against electric vehicles (600+ miles of range, incredibly fast charging, etc), unless you just have to have that vroom, vroom when you step on the accelerator.

Then you announce that there will be an initial run of 1000 Founder Series cars produced and to get on that list you must drop the entire $250,000 price tag into Tesla's bank account. You can also get on the normal production list for a mere $50,000. How many, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche owners out there are going to jump at the chance to own the car that just made theirs obsolete...and for 1/4 to 1/8 the cost? A bunch. I say they sell out of Founder Series reservations in a month...or less.

I'm no math wiz but that's a quick $250,000,000 in the bank. Pretty good night's work for Elon and company last night. Pretty good work indeed!

https://electrek.co/2017/11/17/tesla-next-generation-roadster/

Dan

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah last night I must have been pretty tired, I missed the fact that the founders series requires full price now to reserve one of the 1,000 to be produced.

The standard version requires a 25% deposit of $50,000. Insane!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...it also destroys every gripe one could possibly come up with against electric vehicles (600+ miles of range, incredibly fast charging, etc)
I haven't heard anything official about charging rates, but it would be awesome if the roadster could make use of the megachargers. 400 miles in 30 minutes for the semi could translate into something like 500 miles in 15 minutes for the roadster. Then there really is absolutely no downside left for this particular electric car. All problems solved!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I haven't heard anything official about charging rates, but it would be awesome if the roadster could make use of the megachargers. 400 miles in 30 minutes for the semi could translate into something like 500 miles in 15 minutes for the roadster. Then there really is absolutely no downside left for this particular electric car. All problems solved!
I thought I remember Elon saying something about a 15 minute full recharge but I might have just been imagining that. Or...maybe that was in reference to the semi. I'm old, I'm lazy and don't want to dig through all the videos to find out! LOL! I'm sure somebody will correct me here. ;)

Dan

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Seriously doubt the pack will take an 80% charge in 15 minutes. But yes, you want to use megachargers for a car like that! Heck, even Model 3 would benefit from something faster than Supercharger V2....