Electricity Supplier Equipment Changes Necessary for Charging?

HvyMtlChaos

Country
Country
I'm still waiting for my Model 3 and haven't installed a charger yet, but I'm planning on buying the wall connector from Tesla and having an electrician install it. I have a 200 amp main breaker in my panel and from a conversation with an electrician I'm fairly certain no changes are needed inside my home to accommodate it.

What I'm not sure about, and PECO has been of little help, is whether the transformer outside my house or any of PECO's equipment would need to be modified or replaced to handle the extra load. Basically what they told me is that my electrician will have to submit an application to them and then they'll figure that out.

However, my concern is that if something does need to be upgraded that they'd charge me for it and that it would be expensive and prohibitive. I wasn't planning to order the charger and have it installed until I'm invited to configure and then basically have a month before delivery to get it all set. This leaves me with a big unknown that I can't have figured out until I have at least bought the $500 charger, and at most already ordered the car as well.

Does anyone here have experience with PECO or other utility companies regarding this? The whole concept of committing non-refundable money before knowing all the possible costs really bothers me.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I could understand if you had to upgrade your electrical service there could be some utility provider equipment needing upgrade but I can't say I've heard of anyone installing an EVSE to need to cover any utility provider costs. I suspect its just a formality as the utility does like an indication of how much usage there is going to be. When we get our EV rebates here in Ontario the agreement is that the utility company is notified there may be additional grind demand in the area. Similar thing happened when I went to 200A. My increased usage (crypto mining) was documented and provided to them.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
200 amp panel is usually enough. Unless you have a very large house.
60 amp dual position fuse is about $10-15.
Need min 6 gauge wire (55-60amp) this is the most costly material depending on how far the charge station is from the panel.

I also would not put out just using a normal plug (15 amp). I only drive about 30-40 miles a day, and overnight charging gives me enough juice @ 5 miles per hour charge.

HvyMtlChaos

Country
Country
Thanks to both of you. I'm a little less worried about PECO stuff out of my control. For our typical drives a normal plug would probably be fine (I work from home most days, wife only drives 25 miles round trip to work) but we don't have a garage and there's no outlet close enough to the driveway to reach the car. We also need something weatherproof b/c of no garage, so the Tesla wall connector works well for that too.

To be honest, our install is probably one of the most simple b/c the fuse panel is in the basement right below where we want the charger mounted on the outside wall of the house. So the wiring to it will go up like 6 feet then just straight out.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had a Leaf for over a year and I did get a level2 charger installed but a wallplug woulda been just fine. Our government pays 50% of it so I just did it while I could. My install was 400 bucks for a 14-50 plug within a few feet of my panel. Took maybe an hour.

HvyMtlChaos

Country
Country
Depending on where you are, some areas still offer rebates. Check with your electric company, city, county.

Check this page out:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/matrix?sort_by=incentive
I know my electric company, PECO has a $50 EV driver rebate.

From your link I found the updated PA EV rebate page:
http://www.dep.pa.gov/Citizens/Gran...s/Alternative-Fuel-Vehicles.aspx#.Vl9K83arSUk

Myself and others were disappointed to find out they had capped the price of the car that was eligible at $50,000, since only the black w/o any options first production Model 3 qualifies for that since they include the $1000 delivery fee in the MSRP. However, from that page I found out we don't meet the income limit part either... so at least for us that $50k cap isn't the sole disqualifying requirement. I had no idea that part existed previously.