Electric Motorcycles

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone here have an electric motorcycle? Such as a Zero or Energica? In the fantasy land in my head I'm shopping for one, but in reality I'll never own one unless I'm also interested in a divorce.

I would like to hear about the electric motorcycles any of you own so that I can live vicariously through you.

If I were actually in the market for one, I found a used 2016 Zero SR with the "charge tank" which I'm guessing is a J1772 port. It has the larger battery pack and the guy is asking $8k. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really like the looks of the Lightning Strike. Not sure it's out yet, I havent really been following the news... I'm not really in the market for a bike at all... just like it. This link says they plan to start at just under $13k.

Lightning Strike

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really like the looks of the Lightning Strike. Not sure it's out yet, I havent really been following the news... I'm not really in the market for a bike at all... just like it. This link says they plan to start at just under $13k.

Lightning Strike
I agree, that's a beautiful bike. Also with lvl 3 charging capabilities, it makes it more versatile.

Kimmo57

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
In my fantasy land I'm planning on doing an electric conversion. I already bought the cheapest aluminum framed sportsbike I could find as a base, a -94 Honda Fireblade. I sold my -06 ZX10R and I'm riding the Honda as it is for this summer and take it apart come fall.
I've built plenty of bikes before, but I don't know anything about electrics, so it'll be a challenge... if it even happens :D I've looked into parts already, though, so I have a rough idea of what's required.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone here have an electric motorcycle? Such as a Zero or Energica? In the fantasy land in my head I'm shopping for one, but in reality I'll never own one unless I'm also interested in a divorce.

I would like to hear about the electric motorcycles any of you own so that I can live vicariously through you.

If I were actually in the market for one, I found a used 2016 Zero SR with the "charge tank" which I'm guessing is a J1772 port. It has the larger battery pack and the guy is asking $8k. I think that's pretty reasonable.

That ZForce 13.0 monolith battery system is 12kWh usable and the bike averages 100-120Wh/mi if you ride conservatively on flat highway conditions with a windscreen and top box for aerodynamic efficiency. I would regularly eek out 119mi range when the last leg of the trip was downhill, or only 65mi range if going uphill most of the way, on a 2016 DSR (which has a taller wheeled less aerodynamic profile).

At the time of the 2016 Zero lineup release there was not any other sensible highway-capable electric motorcycle out there for sale. Now Zero has their SR/F Premium with two 3kW charging modules as standard and an available 6kW additional chargetank module (useless in NA because only one J1772 inlet); Energica is selling bikes with CCS charging; And soon-any-day-now Lightning Motors and Harley Davidson will be bringing CCS charging capable bikes to market. Zero is unable to add CCS charging because the platform is not a high enough voltage to be compatible.

The Zero bikes 2016 and newer S/DS (at least through 2018 not sure about the newer and radically different SR/F platform) must be calibrated every few odd thousand miles at a Zero authorized dealership using proprietary tools that are tightly controlled by Zero dealership agreements. The procedure is no cost however it was my experience that you will be completely dependent on the dealership model for routine maintenance and you have no choice in the matter.

Older chargetank revisions like on the 2016 when it was released are underwhelming. The battery technology and bike firmware will allow for 1C rate of charge however there is no OEM configuration for that bike to get charging up to that rate, it is closer to 1200W of charging and maybe the old chargetank doubles that only but not by a factor of ten possible like in the newly released SR/F.

Rides fine, should last 300,000mi no problem. Quicker than a Model 3 dual motor, not as quick as the Model 3 dual motor performance.

SalisburySam

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went to Zero in Charlotte, NC when they first set up shop though I was not able to actually ride one at the time. Looks like a very neat concept. I did get to speak with some of the staff and management working there and I asked about a touring version of the bike. I’m more of an Ultra, or Goldwing kinda guy for two-up riding, than an off-roader sort. They all stated it would be looked into but saw design challenges making that unlikely. Several years later, there still is no tourer from anyone I’ve seen. I’m a bit surprised at the design issues whatever they are. Certainly larger battery(ies) are needed, but there is much more room and weight capacity to house them. Oh well, not getting another motorcycle (had several in the past) keeps the life insurance in force and marriage intact.