Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Electric lawnmowers

47K views 298 replies 57 participants last post by  iChris93 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Yup. We have the same one except without the self propel. The wife loves it. It's been great for 2 years now. No gas or spark plugs.and much quieter.

#5 ·
Well... I have gone full electric with Green Dragon for the (large) backyard as you know...
Hood Automotive lighting Plant Car Motor vehicle

My next step like you, @Quicksilver , is to get a nice electric weedwacker ...

The old gas powered mulching lawnmower will have to do for the front lawn for now... Lots of other expenses in the new house have priority (as do my FC04s, @Mad Hungarian ! ;))

#284 ·
After 18 years, my Robomower has finally mowed its last blade of grass.

The plastic wheel gears have finally stripped. I had already used the gears from my "parts mower" as a replacement. And I can no longer find anybody selling replacements on ebay or anywhere else.

It has really sucked having to cut the yard myself this week. :p

#12 ·
Got an Ego mower last fall when it was too late to fully try out its grass cutting skills. Have been so happy with it this spring. Just like an electric car, I'm astounded at how it is actually better than an ICE! So quiet and not nearly as heavy, so it doesn't leave as strong of prints in the grass. Attached picture of it hitting the spring growth with no problem.
Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Mower

#13 ·
Got an Ego mower last fall when it was too late to fully try out its grass cutting skills. Have been so happy with it this spring. Just like an electric car, I'm astounded at how it is actually better than an ICE! So quiet and not nearly as heavy, so it doesn't leave as strong of prints in the grass. Attached picture of it hitting the spring growth with no problem.
View attachment 25022
Yep, I have been using an EGO mower for 3 years, also have been using an EGO leaf blower for the same amount of time, minimal battery degradation over 3 years and countless charge cycles, I have not had any issues whatsoever. Also, you can use the same battery packs on all their tools they come as small as 2 Ah and has large as 7.5 Ah so you can manage range (time) based on the your needs, size of your yard, frequency between charging etc. that's brilliant! I think they make the very best electric garden tools.

#15 ·
56V? Is that all? Come on guys! I have the 80V Kobalt line of tools. Lawnmower, blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, 18" chainsaw....
Don't make me get out the tape measure.

#16 ·
Once one goes with a certain ecosystem, it’s hard to switch. Lots of good choices out there.

Been using the Ryobi 40V line. Great value, and no problems so far.

Reactions: Gatornail
#19 ·
#22 ·
Reactions: JWardell
#24 ·
Briggs and Stratton is fighting their demise. This keeps showing in my Facebook feed:

Plant Nature Organism Natural landscape Vegetation

#26 ·
So my mower just died. Anyone have experience with the Dewalt electric mower? Would prefer it as I have tools with those batteries already.

#297 ·
Old question but something to anchor this to.

I bought the DeWalt manual push mower a couple of years ago. Overall not bad. Not as much power as my old gas mower but enough to do the job. The tow 20v 10ah batteries last long enough to cover my 1/6 acre lot and then let me get half way the next time. I mulch and notice that it seems to regularly miss a few blades of grass; enough to make me redo backup and redo some sections. There is a height adjustment for the front wheels and one for the back. Sometimes I find they shifted for unknown reason. The big problem is that I am seeing the deck rusting so little yellow pieces have broken off.

#27 · (Edited)
If the Dewalt is brushless, I'd buy it. How many Volts is the battery? Most hand tools are 12-18 Volts. Movers are typically 40-80 Volts.

HD has it for ~$400.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...COu4Fq5qW9xlIRG-j2xoClhUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looks like 20V 5.0Ah battery X2. It requires two batteries to operate. But I'll bet it comes with one charger. If you have compatible battery chargers, you'll be in good shape. Otherwise you'll be wishing for another charger. The 5.0Ah batteries are great for a vacuum but pretty heavy for a drill/driver.

I have the 80V Kobalt Mower. Requires one 80V 2.0Ah battery to operate and the charger will recharge in about 30 min. Since I also have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer and chainsaw, I have plenty of batteries.

#28 ·
If the Dewalt is brushless, I'd buy it. How many Volts is the battery? Most hand tools are 12-18 Volts. Movers are typically 40-80 Volts.

HD has it for ~$400.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-in-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Walk-Behind-Push-Lawn-Mower-Two-5-0-Ah-Batteries-and-Charger-Included-DCMW220P2/303787449?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|All-Products|All|All|PLA|71700000014585962|58700001236285396|92700010802552439&gclid=CjwKCAjw5pPnBRBJEiwAULZKvpDRm_fMPa5eqm2Pq9ZQLCeptL7uUisyWPQCOu4Fq5qW9xlIRG-j2xoClhUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looks like 20V 5.0Ah battery X2. It requires two batteries to operate. But I'll bet it comes with one charger. If you have compatible battery chargers, you'll be in good shape. Otherwise you'll be wishing for another charger. The 5.0Ah batteries are great for a vacuum but pretty heavy for a drill/driver.

I have the 80V Kobalt Mower. Requires one 80V 2.0Ah battery to operate and the charger will recharge in about 30 min. Since I also have the string trimmer, hedge trimmer and chainsaw, I have plenty of batteries.
I'm actually undecided between the dewalt or the Kobalt. I see the latter at Lowe's with 2 batteries for $300.

#29 ·
We have the Ryobi and LOVE it. It came with 2 40 volt batteries (but only uses one at a time) which is great because we can charge one while using the other and never run out of juice.

Reactions: iPlug
#31 ·
Picked up a ego mower (56V with a 7.5Ah battery) from Home Depot today. While it’s light, nimble, and mows well there are a few key issues. I find when I’m not using the self-propelled (to back the mower up) the rear wheels seem to lock up (due to the motor). It eventually releases, but sure feels like it’s causing damage to the motor. Another issue is that it mows really well, but doesn’t seem to suck up cut grass very well. When I mowed the edge it left behind a lot of grass (even after a freshly emptied bag). The battery is great though. Mowed my entire yard (~5k sq ft), and the battery was down to 25%. Going to try it out again next week, but will likely return it as at $500 it’s almost twice the price of my last standard self propelled mower.

#33 ·
I find when I'm not using the self-propelled (to back the mower up) the rear wheels seem to lock up (due to the motor).
This has happened with every single self-propelled mower that I have owned. It's due to the design of the transmission. To avoid this, don't transition immediately from "self-propelled" to pulling the mower backwards. Release the self-propelled a little early, and push it forward a foot or so before attempting to pull it backwards. That will release the transmission so that the mower starts free-wheeling again.

#32 ·
Just noticed you bought this. Do you have issues with the rear wheels occasionally locking up when trying to pull it backwards?

#34 ·
My trusty Robomow RS612 just started its sixth season of mowing my lawn. It's one of the best purchases I've made.
Peripheral Input device Hood Output device Vehicle

I'm going to buy the iRobot Terra mower as soon it's available in the U.S. It uses beacons to mark the corners of your yard and can navigate so well that it cuts in rows, not a random pattern.
Grass Gas Electronic device Grassland Motor vehicle

#36 ·
I'm going to buy the iRobot Terra mower as soon it's available in the U.S. It uses beacons to mark the corners of your yard and can navigate so well that it cuts in rows, not a random pattern.
View attachment 26164
I signed up for the Terra mailing list too. That one sounds really compelling.

#35 ·
I just got the Ryobi RM480E Electric Riding Mower w/ bagger attachment. Now only if the rain would stop and the grass would dry so I could use it!

https://www.ryobitools.com/electric-riding-mower/
I want one !!

We have fairly new ICE one after decades of a walk behinds. Mowing went from like 3 hrs to 45 minutes.

Way to complex a yard(s) to have a robot mower. It would need level 5 FSD. And sometimes it must be bagged.

Reactions: StromTrooperM3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.