Electric lawnmowers

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
uh oh.

Borrowed my neighbour's Fiskars "Staysharp plus" push mower over the weekend. My lawn has never looked better. I'm not going to say that it was as easy as the gas power mower, but i could stand to lose 20 lbs.

I had a reel action gas mower years ago and really liked it, but this Fiskars gave such a great cut I'm scouring Craigslist and doubt that i'm going with a battery after all.

oops.

Just wait until you hit a rock and chip one of the blades on the push mower. It'll stop in it's tracks and you won't be able to get them to spin anymore. I had one for a year or so and hit a rock and it totally messed with the whole mower.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I sold my gas mower before moving and now have a very small yard to mow. Any suggestions on a good cordless mower for a small yard?

Jeremyrwb

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After a quick survey of this thread, I didn't see the question I was looking for.

How do battery mowers hold up on wet grass? Or grass that hasn't been cut for a month? I work as a landscaper, in a fairly wet climate ( basically Seattle, probably same as... the other guy who lives in this rqinforest5) and I'm interested in switching over to electric mower/line trimmers, feel like it would save a bundle on fuel. But between working in damp/dewy grass and having to run it for 2-5h consecutively, I'm not sure how they'd measure up. Also not sure how when batteries would need to be replaced, if it's frequent enough to cost as much as gas over time then there isn't much point.

$ Trillion Musk

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I sold my gas mower before moving and now have a very small yard to mow. Any suggestions on a good cordless mower for a small yard?
I don’t own the lawn mower but I’m quite impressed with the Ego 2-stage electric snow blower. There’s a 5-year warranty on the equipment, 3 years for the batteries.

Reactions: TrevP

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I work as a landscaper
Ego has a commercial-series of tools, but it doesn't appear to include a mower. I don't know how well the residential mowers will hold up to that kind of commercial use. But if you're willing to be a guinea pig, I think it could work.

The Ego mowers have large-capacity batteries that can be easily switched.
The self-propelled models say they get 75 minutes runtime from a 10Ah battery, so you would need four 10Ah batteries for five hours of continuous use.
The push models say they get 45 minutes runtime from a 5Ah battery, so you would still need four batteries (three 10Ah and one 5Ah would cover it).

Their stuff isn't cheap though, unless you wait for a sale. They do have some good sales periodically. Check Lowes periodically for sales - they just had one on other Ego tools - I picked up a Leaf Blower for $80. :cool:

EDIT:
Here's a review of cordless mowers.
It appears that the Greenworks Commercial version was chosen for large lawns, while an Ego mower was a runner-up in that category.
The Ego won for "Most Powerful" though.

The most powerful cordless lawnmower in our real-world cutting test was again the EGO Peak Power Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (LM2140SP). In a rather torturous cutting scenario, we let Florida Bahai grow for around 5 weeks with on-and-off summer rains. Then we ran our top self-propelled mowers through it at normalized speed settings to see who could mow the furthest. EGO’s Peak Power system crushed the competition, including all but one gas mower!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremyrwb

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After a quick survey of this thread, I didn't see the question I was looking for.

How do battery mowers hold up on wet grass? Or grass that hasn't been cut for a month? I work as a landscaper, in a fairly wet climate ( basically Seattle, probably same as... the other guy who lives in this rqinforest5) and I'm interested in switching over to electric mower/line trimmers, feel like it would save a bundle on fuel. But between working in damp/dewy grass and having to run it for 2-5h consecutively, I'm not sure how they'd measure up. Also not sure how when batteries would need to be replaced, if it's frequent enough to cost as much as gas over time then there isn't much point.
take a look at Stihl. top reviews for their battery mowers and the brand is well respected.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
push mower? depends a lot on how you define "small" - metric "small", or imperial "small"?

the Fiskar staysharp plus I borrowed worked great (and it's a bunch of years old without my neighbour ever sharpening it).

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just wait until you hit a rock and chip one of the blades on the push mower. It'll stop in it's tracks and you won't be able to get them to spin anymore. I had one for a year or so and hit a rock and it totally messed with the whole mower.

I had a a gas powered reel action mower that I bought at a garage sale and then I used it for 5 years on a nice flat lawn and then over 10 years on an uneven lawn full of old roots and hidden stumps. worked great but it died of old age when the back rollers and side wheels collapsed.

I replaced it with a brand new traditional rotary mower with drive wheels and a bigger gas engine. Cost about $500 in 2007 or so - it was not a cheap priced mower and a name brand. About the 3rd time out, when it bounced over a root, the blade hit the root and the vertical drive shaft BENT in the mower destroying it. Blade did not bend or snap, the drive shaft bent.

Crap mowers are crap mowers, regardless of them being rotary, reel, gas, battery or push and even good mowers can have bad things happen to them.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Last edited:

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Personally, I have the EGO self propelled mower and get about 1hr run time on a 7ah battery. Been using it 2+ years and it's still running strong. Though now I'm seeing the red light indicator towards the end of mowing so that 1hr seems to be coming down after a couple years. To get 2-5hrs you'd need to buy a battery for each hour and they're going for about $350 each!!!

You may want to look into the cub cadet line for commercial use:

JMart

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It would be a little overkill for a 700sf yard, but is anyone considering the new Ego riding mower?
Or does anyone own one yet?
I'm trying to justify the $5k price tag by subtracting the cost of annual service (which I currently do myself), but I don't think I can get there yet. Hopefully prices come down significantly in the next couple years.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm very happy with my ego self propelled mower. I was lucky and got it at HD when they were clearing out the ego line. It has the 7.5ah battery, which is enough to do the relatively small mowable area on my property. It's also an older model, but that didn't matter to me considering the clearance price.

• Winner
Reactions: garsh

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have had no problems with my Kobalt 80V. But for a small yard they make a 40V mower. If they make a 40V string trimmer that would allow you to use the same batteries for both.

• Helpful
Reactions: iChris93

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll chime in with a recommendation, now that battery mowers are becoming so common and all the brands are jumping on them, consider getting one that shares batteries with your other tools. For example Home Depot peddles Ryobi stuff to the point that they have a huge lineup of tools that can use the same batteries. The batteries are still the most expensive part, and you will probably want two large capacity $$$ for a mower, but it's not such a bad hit if you can use them in a number of tools, especially when you can pick up those tools sans batteries for cheap.

In my case I'm a big fan of Worx, and two large 20V batteries combine to 40V for the higher powered tools like a mower, snowblower, and chainsaw...and still can be used individually for drills etc. Other brands play this trick now, allowing you to get even more use out of the tools and batteries.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.