Efficiency and Temperature

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It doesn't get very hot in Southern California where I live, but I thought this graph which shows the correlation between outside temperature and efficiency is interesting.

img_7bcb529912b5-1-jpeg.11820

Last edited by a moderator:

mkg3

Country
Country
What are we looking at?

Vertical axis is what? Efficiency of batteries? Versus what baseline for 100%?

Data points are sampling of a single vehicle at different times? Multiple source samples? Different speeds?

Maybe a carpet plot would have been better to show 3 variables on a single plot.

Also, I looked at the app and could not determine where the data source is being pulled from. Do you know? How does it connect to the data?

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
What are we looking at?

Vertical axis is what? Efficiency of batteries? Versus what baseline for 100%?

Data points are sampling of a single vehicle at different times? Multiple source samples? Different speeds?

Maybe a carpet plot would have been better to show 3 variables on a single plot.

Also, I looked at the app and could not determine where the data source is being pulled from. Do you know? How does it connect to the data?
All the information you are looking for is in the image:
The axis: The title of the graph explains it; efficiency vs. temperature. This means that y-axis is efficiency and the x-axis is temperature. Here you can see a trend where as temperature increases, efficiency decreases.

All data-points are for one vehicle (mine in this case).

Data-points are from user's car. The app uses Tesla API.

mkg3

Country
Country
All the information you are looking for is in the image:
The axis: The title of the graph explains it; efficiency vs. temperature. This means that y-axis is efficiency and the x-axis is temperature. Here you can see a trend where as temperature increases, efficiency decreases.

All data-points are for one vehicle (mine in this case).

Data-points are from user's car. The app uses Tesla API.
Efficiency of what, which is my original question. There are lots of efficiency measurements. Which efficiency is being measured?

Data points may come from the users car but it does not show under what condition/situation. Scattered data does not have any notation to differentiate one from another.

The chart is meaningless without more info and NO, its not in the graph.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Efficiency of what, which is my original question. There are lots of efficiency measurements. Which efficiency is being measured?

Data points may come from the users car but it does not show under what condition/situation. Scattered data does not have any notation to differentiate one from another.

The chart is meaningless without more info and NO, its not in the graph.
Efficiency is the ratio of estimate rate to rated range.
Using scatter plot is a standard why for investigating correlation between two variables. Yes, it is possible that another factors also play a role (and they do -- e.g., uphill vs. downhill). But that's exactly why a scatter plot is useful to see the correlation because it allows us to see a pattern and ignore the outliers that are impacted by other factors.

mkg3

Country
Country
Your answering a different question. As an engineer, I completely understand what plots are used for.

I am asking what efficiency is being measured. You say estimate rate to range, but estimate rate of what? Rate of discharge? Rate of consumption? Rate of heat transfer? Against range of travel for that particular drive or EPA estimated range? All of this versus what baseline that established as the reference of 100%?

As for data points, there are multiple data points at any given external temperature with different efficiency values, which means that there is at least one other variable to cause the difference (e.g., your particular drive for that data point?). I am simply asking what is that variable that causes different value for data points.

You see, this is incomplete information and without the underlying assumptions and inputs, it is meaningless to others. Since you seem to know what goes into it, probably makes sense to you but to others, we don't know what to do with the data.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Your answering a different question. As an engineer, I completely understand what plots are used for.

I am asking what efficiency is being measured. You say estimate rate to range, but estimate rate of what? Rate of discharge? Rate of consumption? Rate of heat transfer? Against range of travel for that particular drive or EPA estimated range? All of this versus what baseline that established as the reference of 100%?

As for data points, there are multiple data points at any given external temperature with different efficiency values, which means that there is at least one other variable to cause the difference (e.g., your particular drive for that data point?). I am simply asking what is that variable that causes different value for data points.

You see, this is incomplete information and without the underlying assumptions and inputs, it is meaningless to others. Since you seem to know what goes into it, probably makes sense to you but to others, we don't know what to do with the data.
Typo: Estimated rate --> Estimated *Range*

If that you are an owner, I assume you mean what estimated range means. It's a range that is closer to the distance that you can actually travel using the charge that you have.

This type of scatter plot is very common and is designed to see the correlation between two variables while averaging out the effect of noise and other parameters. FWIW, I'm a data scientist and we do this kind of analysis all the time.

mkg3

Country
Country
Clearly we are not communicating or that you simply don't know what I am asking for.

Thanks for responding. I was simply curious as to what actually is being provided by this $10 app. Since its not a $1 app, wanted to know what insight it gave, if any. Doesn't look like it.

Cheers!

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Here is a partial list of what this app provides:
Clearly we are not communicating or that you simply don't know what I am asking for.

Thanks for responding. I was simply curious as to what actually is being provided by this $10 app. Since its not a $1 app, wanted to know what insight it gave, if any. Doesn't look like it.

Cheers!
Here is a partial list of what the app provides:
  • A graph that shows your battery health
  • A graph that shows your efficiency vs. others
  • A graph that shows firmware distribution across users
  • A graph that shows miles driven per day/week/month
  • A graph that shows stats related to your charging sessions
  • A graph that shows your driving efficiency history
  • A graph that shows you phantom drain stats per day/week/month and location of each phantom drain
  • Export your stats to a spreadsheet to analyze on your desktop computer
  • Sends notification if you arrive somewhere and leave one of the doors or trunk(s) open (which prevents the car to lock itself)
  • Receive a notification (after a few minutes) if climate was tuned on remotely and you are not in the car. This helps prevent depleting the car battery if you turn the climate on remotely and then forget about it.
  • Send addresses from your iOS device to your car
  • Charging reminder notifies you if the car's battery level is low and it is parked at home and it is unplugged
  • Use the Widget to do all this without launching any apps:
    • check status of all doors
    • o battery level
    • time to complete charge (when charging)
  • Displays driving efficiency over past 30 miles
  • Supports multiple vehicles under the same account
  • App reminds you if the battery level is low (user specified) and the car is at home (user specified location) and it's not plugged in. Of course, the feature is optional and can be disabled, if desired.
  • You can change the cost for a charging session by tap-and-hold on the cost bar-chart
  • Integrated several forums and new sites

Last edited by a moderator:

changsteer

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm neither an engineer nor a scientist, just an average IT guy. I bought the app because I think it serves its purpose and does provide the information that I want to see. From an app user perspective, I know how I drive and certain factors that I know will affect the data. So what the app provides is a good enough reference for me. I never expect a $10 app to provide a 100% scientific report/chart. If I need that kind of scientific accuracy, I would just go look at research/test results from Waymo or Tesla since they spent millions of dollars to make sure they covered every factor.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm neither an engineer nor a scientist, just an average IT guy. I bought the app because I think it serves its purpose and does provide the information that I want to see. From an app user perspective, I know how I drive and certain factors that I know will affect the data. So what the app provides is a good enough reference for me. I never expect a $10 app to provide a 100% scientific report/chart. If I need that kind of scientific accuracy, I would just go look at research/test results from Waymo or Tesla since they spent millions of dollars to make sure they covered every factor.
Well said!
Let me know if you have suggestions for improving the app. You can tap on the support button in the app to reach me.