Ecohitch installation learnings, recommendations and suggestions

VanIsleGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A couple of weeks ago I installed an Ecohitch with a 2" receiver on my SR+. If there are any other Canadians that live near the border, I ordered mine to a package depot just south of the boarder. It cost me a whopping $2.50 US for them to recieve/handle the package, and I got free shipping. I used package express and was happy with their service and blown away by how inexpensive it was. I was totally up front with the border guard, had my receipt ready to show and she waved me through without asking me to pay the tax so a double bonus.

For the most part, I was impressed with the quality when I got the hitch. There were a couple of burrs, trim pieces where the tubing was cut, but other than that it was very heavy duty and nicely powdercoated.
I am also impressed with how it fits. Solidly mounted, came with plastic spacers to prevent galvanic corrosion, and didn't require much in the way of modifications.

As for the install.... the instructions were a little lacking. They were photocopied black and white instructions with poor picture quality. A couple of steps took me a bit to figure out what the picture was showing (or where) and they probably could have used a couple more diagrams. I did work through it and figured it all out so they are ok, but could use a little improvement. Colour photos would help and better quality printing.

When it came to cutting the hole in the bottom panel under the car, I deviated from the instructions. Instead of using a hole saw and drilling multiple holes, and then trimming, I used a jig saw to directly cut out a once piece hatch. I then used this piece and added some tabs on it so I could replace it when I wasn't using the hitch. This worked out well and it only takes a few seconds to install/take out the hatch. This prevents road debris, dirt from getting in there and also protects the hitch mount. I appreciate it isn't the prettiest cut or tabs, but this is under the car so nobody sees it.
1563339771762-png.27687

One step that was painful was installing the bumper back on. Things were a bit tight and it took multiple attempts and some wiggling/adjusting to get things lined up. Here is the most painful part, I put a couple of deep scratches in the rear quarter panel when trying to fit the bumper back on. So, for anyone installing here is an important suggestion:
***cover the rear quarterpanel above where the bumper attaches with some painters tape so if the bumper slides up during fitment, it doesn't scratch the paint! Here is a photo of where I am talking about:
1563339529277-png.27686

Hopefully this helps and prevents some future scratches. I got the paint touch up kit from Tesla and fixed the scratches. Worked well and hardly notice them now. I'm sure that won't be the last scratch so likely a good investment anyways.
If there are any questions or people want more details/pictures let me know.

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my road trip this weekend I saw my first 3 with a trailer. He was pulling out of the supper charger parking lot. I had to wonder how he charged it. This Supercharger had one pull in charger but the trailer would block the parking lot somewhat. Do you have to disconnect the trailer at every charge? Does anyone know the supercharger plan for the Semi's.

VanIsleGuy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used the supercharger today with a big 3 bike platform rack on and used the pull in space.
I've seen people just pull up parallel with the pull in space with a trailer. It blocks some of the other stalls but for stations that aren't busy it isn't a problem. It would be a pain if you needed a busy charger and had to disconnect.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For anyone who’s thinking about a hitch, one of my followers posted the price for the new rear diffuser with the built-in hitch cover that’s been installed on cars since about April

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For anyone who’s thinking about a hitch, one of my followers posted the price for the new rear diffuser with the built-in hitch cover that’s been installed on cars since about April

That's a good price. Unfortunately I already have the Torklift Ecohitch magnetic cover that cost about the same and I don't want to put in the work to remove and reinstall the bumper and diffuser again. Good information for anybody that has yet to do the hitch install.