Ebay Tesla Wall Chargers

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't see anything on ebay listed for less than $400. There's one auction currently at $265, but that's not a buy-it-now price.

You can buy one directly from Tesla for $500, with either 8.5' or 24' cables.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
All of Tesla's Wall Chargers are made in China.

A few months ago, there were several listings for wall chargers at a large discount to what Tesla sells them for but I haven't seen those discounts recently. The chargers arrived in Tesla boxes with Tesla shipping labels and appeared very legit. Those really good deals seem to have dried up and some listings are for even more than what Tesla charges. I've also seen a YouTube video of an eBay wall charger that has a 14-50 plug instead of hard wire cables. AFAIK, the 14-50 version was authentic but I've never seen them sold and I would prefer the hardwire version so I could pull more current.

Another thing to consider for whatever amount that you spend is whether or not Tesla would honor any warranty if there was a problem. Unless there was a HUGE savings, I wouldn't risk your VERY expensive Tesla just to save a relatively small amount of money.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All of Tesla's Wall Chargers are made in China.

A few months ago, there were several listings for wall chargers at a large discount to what Tesla sells them for but I haven't seen those discounts recently. The chargers arrived in Tesla boxes with Tesla shipping labels and appeared very legit. Those really good deals seem to have dried up and some listings are for even more than what Tesla charges. I've also seen a YouTube video of an eBay wall charger that has a 14-50 plug instead of hard wire cables. AFAIK, the 14-50 version was authentic but I've never seen them sold and I would prefer the hardwire version so I could pull more current.

Another thing to consider for whatever amount that you spend is whether or not Tesla would honor any warranty if there was a problem. Unless there was a HUGE savings, I wouldn't risk your VERY expensive Tesla just to save a relatively small amount of money.
I purchased my wall connector a few months ago, and did notice those listings at the time - they tended to offer a savings of at least $100 over buying from Tesla directly. I decided against it. The savings were nice, and it's reasonable to think they were probably the real deal. However, between the fact of no warranty coverage, any potential safety concerns and purchasing from a non-domestic buyer (most listings that were priced low that I saw were from Canadian sellers) and I decided to just play it safe and purchase directly. I agree, this is probably one area where I'm not willing to save a few bucks if it means any additional risk.

Also, for what it's worth (for the OP), there's already been discussion on this topic here, which you alluded to, Brokedoc.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I looked at Ebay around the beginning of the year, and saw plenty of inexpensive, used HPWC's and UMC's so I didn't buy one choosing instead to wait for my car. Now that I have it, I've looked and see a few expensive used HPWC's and UMC's. All those early Model 3 owners snapped up all the cheap stock and drove prices up. But it's really hard to argue with a brand-new $300 Gen 2 UMC from Tesla....

azentropy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On an impulse buy I won a auction for an original UMC for $258 on eBay over the weekend from a user with no previous history that had a few other Tesla items for sale (all new or like new). While it was only $42 less then a Gen-2, I liked the idea that it was a 40amp vs 32amp and that one still sells for $500.

Originally I was just going to pass on having a second UMC and maybe see if they ended up ever releasing that HPWC with the built in NEMA 14-50 plug, but figured at that price it was worth a shot.

The item hasn't been marked shipped yet, which has me a bit concerned. However since it was eBay and PayPal it is typically easier to get a refund if they flake out.

DNR

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I got a gen2 Wall Connector for $360 in January on eBay. Seemed to be some sort of Canadian scam because the seller was in Canada but it was drop shipped directly from Tesla. There were a bunch of people selling them at the time. Unfortunately it appears to have been shut down. Now I just need a Model 3!

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up a CMC on eBay after finding out about them from @2170pwr. I love it.

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/my-model-3-heav3n.5943/page-5#post-81018

I don’t currently see any “buy it now” listings like the one I bought ($340). It came from a Canadian eBay seller but shipped from Colorado if I remember right. Everything currently seems to say “from China.”
I don’t trust my Tesla to that combo (with low or no feedback to boot).

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I don't see the Wall chargers, but I see the mobile chargers selling for between 175-225$. which is a lot less than Tesla sells them for. I might buy a second to use at home or swap with the original tesla model.

I think though, that the Car Warranty relationship that Tesla has will probably not apply to these purchased on ebay. Whereas the warranty on the Tesla purchased ones get attached to your VIN and are warrantied for the length of the VIN warranty.

azentropy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On an impulse buy I won a auction for an original UMC for $258 on eBay over the weekend from a user with no previous history that had a few other Tesla items for sale (all new or like new). While it was only $42 less then a Gen-2, I liked the idea that it was a 40amp vs 32amp and that one still sells for $500.

Originally I was just going to pass on having a second UMC and maybe see if they ended up ever releasing that HPWC with the built in NEMA 14-50 plug, but figured at that price it was worth a shot.

The item hasn't been marked shipped yet, which has me a bit concerned. However since it was eBay and PayPal it is typically easier to get a refund if they flake out.
Just an update. Never received any shipping notice. Contacted the a seller a few days after close and no received reply. Had to wait for the "expected delivery date" then had to contact the seller again and now wait 3 days before escalating.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Well I took a chance on this.... we'll see what comes in the mail. Could be a box of rocks!
Well, best case scenario it arrives and works as expected and you got a great deal.
Lower down would be a box or rocks, only in that ebay would give you your money back in full.
WORST case scenario would be it arrives, looks great, but in the end or over time it's actually a fake product and it does some damage to the car? How would one verify that prior to that risk?

I'm planning to try and buy one of the mobile chargers as a secondary to use in the car (lowest use case) and keep the original at home for home charging.

Corey

Country
Country
Well, best case scenario it arrives and works as expected and you got a great deal.
Lower down would be a box or rocks, only in that ebay would give you your money back in full.
WORST case scenario would be it arrives, looks great, but in the end or over time it's actually a fake product and it does some damage to the car? How would one verify that prior to that risk?

I'm planning to try and buy one of the mobile chargers as a secondary to use in the car (lowest use case) and keep the original at home for home charging.
I thought about that. I was guessing there must be a way for Tesla to verify that it is an authentic product? After I receive it and looks legit, I would hope that I could contact Tesla to somehow verify its authenticity?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just missed out on those Candian chargers by a week or two when I started following at the beginning of the year. I'd love to have that style with the 14-50 plug on it and a 24 ft cord. I wish Tesla would start selling it direct. All of them were reported to be very legit and shipped directly from Tesla as had been noted in this thread. All of it, including the price was perfect.

DXF

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Well I took a chance on this.... we'll see what comes in the mail. Could be a box of rocks!

View attachment 9467
The text suggests to me that it is the cable (and I'd assume connector), only.

Which is a legit product as those can get damaged and it is at least incrementally cheaper to replace a damaged cable/connector than the whole unit. I suspect that's a smoking price for it, too, because the replacement cables I've seen for wall chargers tend to be a significant portion of the price.

Last edited:

Corey

Country
Country
The text suggests to me that it is the cable, only.

Which is a legit product, as those can get damaged and it is at least incrementally cheaper to replace a damaged cable/connector than the whole unit. That's a smoking price for it, too, I suspect because the replacement cables I've seen for wall chargers tend to be a significant portion of the price.
Here is the auction description which makes it sound like the whole unit. Looks copied and pasted directly from Tesla.com
screenshot_20180531-140400_ebay-jpg.9483

DXF

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The chargers arrived in Tesla boxes with Tesla shipping labels and appeared very legit.
Out the backdoor of the factory/fell off a truck "legit" is quite likely. This is something that still happens in China factories from time to time. It's not necessarily stolen in the normal sense. The factory owner/operator has an extra run above what they are providing under contract to Tesla. Tesla themselves probably view it as IP theft but enforcement of that is historically spotty in China.

It's even possible these are "resold" units that were initially priced and sold wholesale intended for China market distribution only. You see this a lot in "international versions" of books like textbooks, that you can purchase on eBay and the like. Usually there will be some sort of different labels on those, though, and in the case of books you'll see cheaper printings process (lighter paper, paperback rather than hardcover, etc).

DXF

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Here is the auction description which makes it sound like the whole unit. Looks copied and pasted directly from Tesla.com
It does look "copy pasted", as "background info". Maybe it's the full unit but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't.

Good luck.