Product Review Ebay special suede steering wheel wrap

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thought I'd share my thoughts on the mod I just did.
I always liked alcantara steering wheels. I know those are not for everyone, but I've had those on my past five cars. One was OEM, and the others I've either had wrapped or DIY'd. I don't mind a little upkeep and love the feel of alcantara. I also hate the OEM steering wheel. No clue if mine is 'vegan' or not, but it feel like a cheap plastic one.

So far I've only seen a few options for the Model 3, and those cost arm and leg. And then I ran across the eBay listing for a suede steering wheel wrap for like $50, so I decided to give it a shot. No direct link, but just search for model 3 and suede steering.

I did DIY a couple of these over the prior few years, ordering from redline goods. Those came out pretty good.

This one cost like 1/3 of redline kits, and it shows. This faux alcantara seems less fluffy and would probably require more upkeep. The cut was also poorly sized, with the cover overlapping itself in maybe 1/3 of the wheel circumference. As a result, the stitching had to be tightened a lot to make this somewhat tight, and it looks like crap if you look carefully. The kit came with no instructions. The seller claimed it's possible to install w/o removing the steering wheel. Well, it's certainly possible. But it would take 10x the time and you'd probably scratch the hell out of steering wheel plastics.

Few notes:
  • It goes on top of the OEM leather, so should be easily reversible
  • Includes some double-sided sticky tape to secure some problematic areas
  • The cut was too loose, with opposing pieces of fabric overlapping each other.
  • Took me about 4 hours total, including steering wheel removal/reinstallation.
  • Did a short drive, it was okay. But given that the cut was too loose I'm concerned it would not sit tight and slide around on the rim.
    • Normally, you'd install a warp after ripping out the OEM leather and apply some fabric glue in there.
Overall, I'd say 'you get what you paid for' is an accurate statement. Is it worth $50+effort? Probably at least to me, because I hate the OEM wheel. I'll keep an eye on a better wrap, and redo once I find something better and a spare OEM wheel on the cheap to butcher. This once should suffice for the time being.

Attachments

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if your car is more than a month or so old, it has authentic leather on the wheel.
Mine is probably technically leather, but when compared to my buddy's just-picked up vegan one I don't feel much difference, if any.
All the older leather steering wheels I have access to feel a lot more leathery than the OEM 3 one.

Drove to work today. The new wheel felt pretty nice, so I'm happy for now.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got an eBay one as well, but didn’t go for alcantara (my hands sweat too much). I customized it with perforation on the sides with the red accent at 12 o’clock. I did not remove steering wheel to install it. Although there was a lot of neck-crinking, I got it done in about 2 hours. For what I paid (under $50) I’m happy with it. The fit is not perfect, but good enough and looks fine after install. I skipped the tape as I wanted it to be reversible without damage. I would’ve paid more for a real leather option if it was offered.
ae4231df-fc25-4725-a02a-b81326cbc7a4-jpeg.29675

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you can have all the opinions you want, but the issue comes up when judging someone else's opinion.

So we can have our own opinions, we just can't express them here when it conflicts with someone else? I thought it looked chintzy, someone else thought it looked like a set of PJ's. Where is that "judging" the OP? We merely expressed our opinions like anyone else. Someone else said it looked nice - we didn't chastise him/her for their opinion. Garsh needs to grow his skin a bit thicker, like he basically told me in another thread.

BTW, in another thread one person actually verbally abused another poster, and neither of you intervened.

Like I said - People have opinions, and they tend to express them one way or another. If you don't like it, you shouldn't be moderating.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I've had enough of a certain poster, the ignore button is very close by...off to use it now.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So we can have our own opinions, we just can't express them here when it conflicts with someone else? I thought it looked chintzy, someone else thought it looked like a set of PJ's. Where is that "judging" the OP? We merely expressed our opinions like anyone else. Someone else said it looked nice - we didn't chastise him/her for their opinion. Garsh needs to grow his skin a bit thicker, like he basically told me in another thread.

BTW, in another thread one person actually verbally abused another poster, and neither of you intervened.

Like I said - People have opinions, and they tend to express them one way or another. If you don't like it, you shouldn't be moderating.
we can not monitor every single post that comes thru that may not conform to the forum rules. if you see something, instead of vaguely mentioning it here, report it so it is brought to our attention

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Who would of thought a steering wheel wrap would ignite a war?

I'm kind of in the middle with this debate. On one hand, I'm the type who would rather stay quiet instead of criticizing someone else's taste (unless that person is a douche). On the other hand, OP should hopefully understand that if you post something on a public forum you are subjecting yourself to aforementioned criticism. Personally, I don't like steering wheel wraps of any kind. But I appreciate OP posting his wrap just in case anyone on here is interested in something similar.

I do agree with Furry regarding the fact that some of the mods on here are a bit biased when it comes to who can say what. I've gotten a warning for messing around and making a slightly dirty joke. Yet I've seen others make similar comments with no repercussions.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just so we're clear, I didn't moderate FurryOne's posts in this thread. Nor did I tell him to stop posting his opinions. I merely posted a reply that bemoaned the tone of the opinions in this thread. That's it.

As far as "bias", please realize that the moderators here are individuals, and we don't generally consult with each other before taking action. So what you may view as "bias" is more likely just differences in opinion among the moderators about what is acceptable, or sometimes just a question of which posts a moderator sees or doesn't see. There are a LOT of posts on the forum nowadays, and it's hard to read them all. If another member "reports" a post, then we're likely to give it a closer look and consider taking action. I don't remember the particular post to which you refer, so I can't remember if it was reported or not.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just so we're clear, I didn't moderate FurryOne's posts in this thread. Nor did I tell him to stop posting his opinions. I merely posted a reply that bemoaned the tone of the opinions in this thread. That's it.

As far as "bias", please realize that the moderators here are individuals, and we don't generally consult with each other before taking action. So what you may view as "bias" is more likely just differences in opinion among the moderators about what is acceptable, or sometimes just a question of which posts a moderator sees or doesn't see. There are a LOT of posts on the forum nowadays, and it's hard to read them all. If another member "reports" a post, then we're likely to give it a closer look and consider taking action. I don't remember the particular post to which you refer, so I can't remember if it was reported or not.
I wasn’t talking about you. I have nothing but respect for you as both a mod and poster on this forum. Plus you have a good sense of humor so it definitely ain’t you :D

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not to my taste but has anyone felt the vegan steering wheel material yet? I have it on my car and it’s rather nice. Feels a bit rougher than the leather and yet high quality. Wish I had asked for it on the Model X