Easy fix for windows that don't go fully down

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I read this on another forum but just tried it myself and it works perfectly. My front passenger side window didn't fully recess into the door when it was all the way down. It wasn't bad enough to call service as it was only 1/8 of an inch or so above the trim. To reset it and get it to go all the way I held the switch down (from a full up position) for around 10 seconds, at that point it recessed all the way. It goes back up to the same place but now goes an the way down.

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can confirm...it worked as well. Thanks OP

It worked on the driver's side but the passengers side was up by about 1/4".

I then performed the 10 second hold twice on only the passenger side window. On the second time at about the 8-9 second mark, the window just went "ploop" into the door.

Thanks, this will help alot of people to reset their auto windows. I remember doing this the opposite way to reset on other cars as well.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very nice find and fix. Come to think of it the Fusion - the car getting traded off has auto up/down windows and sometimes the auto quits working, but that is the fix for even this car, you put the window up or down and continue holding the button for about 10 seconds and it resets the auto part of up/down. Very interesting that on the M3, it will make the window move on to the appropriate position. Also just a bit weird that they aren't set properly leaving the factory.

Azthrillhouse

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting, I didn't see this thread before going to the SC (this was one of 3 minor issues I had stacked up) - there was some confusion as to what the windows were "supposed to do", initially the SC guys said that that's the way they were supposed to work, but they backtracked and adjusted them and now they are pretty much flush without having to hold down the button.

jsmay311

Country
Country
I picked up my M3 today and the front windows were sticking up just a tad. I tried holding the switch down for 10 seconds, but I did so when the window was already down rather than starting with it up. I'm guessing that's why it didn't work(?).

But anyway... I pointed out the issue to the delivery guy and mentioned that I thought there was an easy process for recalibrating the windows. But he talked to the service guys there and they said it required hooking up a laptop to the car to recalibrate the windows. Long story short... it got done eventually, but via a computer rather than the simple method described here.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My passenger side rear window is stuck in the up position. It was not all the way up and I opened the door and just pulled up on the button to close the window (not for 10 sec that I recall), and the window went up, completely into the "door closed" position, and now will not go back down.

I pulled the door panel off the inside to see if there was any accessible "limit" switch or something which has turned it off. The whole apparatus is sealed up solid. I did find that there is a rear seat manual door release cable in the door though. It just doesn't have a mounted lever as the front ones do. Maybe there is a recall coming to refit the door panels with ones that allow access to this cable, once a locking mechanism for child proofing is worked out?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My passenger side rear window is stuck in the up position. It was not all the way up and I opened the door and just pulled up on the button to close the window (not for 10 sec that I recall), and the window went up, completely into the "door closed" position, and now will not go back down.

I pulled the door panel off the inside to see if there was any accessible "limit" switch or something which has turned it off. The whole apparatus is sealed up solid. I did find that there is a rear seat manual door release cable in the door though. It just doesn't have a mounted lever as the front ones do. Maybe there is a recall coming to refit the door panels with ones that allow access to this cable, once a locking mechanism for child proofing is worked out?
See post # 1 in this thread--maybe it will help: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/make-sure-your-tint-shops-don’t-scratch-the-chrome-trim-surrounding-the-windows.7235/

Edit: from the owner's manual:

Child Protection Lock
Model 3 has child protection locks on the rear
doors to prevent them from being opened
using the interior release buttons. On the
touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks > Child
Lock.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
See post # 1 in this thread--maybe it will help: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/make-sure-your-tint-shops-don’t-scratch-the-chrome-trim-surrounding-the-windows.7235/

Edit: from the owner's manual:

Child Protection Lock
Model 3 has child protection locks on the rear
doors to prevent them from being opened
using the interior release buttons. On the
touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks > Child
Lock.
Thanks for the pointer to the tint problem. Mine seems similar, but child locks are not on, and I cannot get any of the calibration or other uses of the window button to work. It is just stuck all the way up. I will hopefully get a ranger out to look at it quickly. It's quite frustrating. I've attached the view of the motor and rear door mechanical release cable that I found when trying to look for any kind of limit switch which might be easily accessed. No joy...

Attachments

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks for the pointer to the tint problem. Mine seems similar, but child locks are not on, and I cannot get any of the calibration or other uses of the window button to work. It is just stuck all the way up. I will hopefully get a ranger out to look at it quickly. It's quite frustrating. I've attached the view of the motor and rear door mechanical release cable that I found when trying to look for any kind of limit switch which might be easily accessed. No joy...
I think you simply need to re-calibrate your windows. I'm not sure how this is done but it's a simple combination of using the window buttons in a specific manner to cause them to recalibrate.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you simply need to re-calibrate your windows. I'm not sure how this is done but it's a simple combination of using the window buttons in a specific manner to cause them to recalibrate.
Yes, that's what I have tried over and over. The other windows respond to calibration requests but the right rear, passenger side window does not move up or down. It makes some noise when I try to make it go up, but down I am not sure I hear any noise. But holding the button for either direction of movement does not work. I've reset the car, power cycled the car etc. Checked the child lock and window lock settings. Tesla has ordered a new window regulator apparently and as soon as the ranger has it in hand, they will fix me up it seems. It's just frustrating to be unable to drive for such a simple, yet high impact issue with the window.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm sorry you had that problem but it sounds like Tesla will be fixing the issue.
Tonight I opened the door up, removed the outer cover of the regulator/motor and turned the shaft enough to get the window below the frame.

The four screws are torx and are easily removed. Pull the casing down slightly and turn the motor to move the window. Now I can drive it until work is done.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome tip, thanks! I had the front passenger side window not rolling down completely on my list of issues to address at the service center, but looks like I can cross it off because the switch trick worked great.