Early Access to FW (for FSD purchase prior to Mar'19)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Um, just got this email. Sooo, they aren't really referring to Early Access anymore with the FSD early adopters it seems. Just says we will, "be among the first to get access to applicable software updates based on your status as an early purchaser of our Full Self-Driving package." So this is sounding less like early access & more like (maybe) some of the first owners to get software updates related to our cars. Kind of seems like they backed off what was promised. :confused: I suppose time will tell.

1560303621218.png

Ksb466

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Um, just got this email. Sooo, they aren't really referring to Early Access anymore with the FSD early adopters it seems. Just says we will, "be among the first to get access to applicable software updates based on your status as an early purchaser of our Full Self-Driving package." So this is sounding less like early access & more like (maybe) some of the first owners to get software updates related to our cars. Kind of seems like they backed off what was promised. :confused: I suppose time will tell.

View attachment 26789
I assume there will still be an early access program separate from this. Honestly, I thought everyone got this std/advanced software choice in the menu, and it was intended to allow those not wanting to be early adopters to defer updates until they are widely in use. Others disagree?

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Getting release software early is NOT the same as the early access program to beta software.
If it takes 7-10 days for release SW to roll out, hopefully you will get it in the first day or two.
Early access program is separate. It is a special invite, agreement, and beta software rev with "homework" to specifically test certain unreleased features

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, reneged again. I'm not even angry anymore. Don't care.
Yeah--I did not buy FSD, but I agree this was a broken promise, plain and simple. Those who bought FSD with their car in 2018 got nothing for it.

It's a bit like (but worse than) putting down a first-day $1000 deposit to be first in line for a SR Model 3 (or even a RWD Model 3), which ended up accomplishing nothing.

I've concluded that Tesla's promises of future discounts in exchange for money up front are worthless and should not be trusted.

It doesn't mean I regret buying the car (I don't), or wouldn't recommend buying the car to others (I do), or don't think Musk has credibility when he promises future technology improvements (he's had a good record on that, albeit on "Elon time"). But the pricing pieces have been worthless.

From now on, I figure I'll pay Tesla for currently available features if I like the price for the features currently in place. Anything based on savings vs. future pricing (like the current "appreciating asset" language) should not be trusted.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love the car, don't love the company. I, too, got the email. I also enabled "advanced" as soon as it was available. I still don't have 20.1 despite TeslaFi showing 21.7% of Model 3 owners having it.

I'm sick of the overall price changes (my car is now available for $7,500 less than I paid for it, without taking into account tax incentives), changes to the referral program (which meant if I'd bought my car 1 WEEK later, my neighbor and I both would have gotten free supercharging), option price changes (EAP, FSD, etc.), and failed promises. I'm waiting for them to reveal that those of us who purchased FSD will not actually get the "free" HW upgrade to AP 3.0. It's only a matter of time in my opinion.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love the car, don't love the company. I, too, got the email. I also enabled "advanced" as soon as it was available. I still don't have 20.1 despite TeslaFi showing 21.7% of Model 3 owners having it.
nearly every one of those 21.7% is either in California or Europe. if you look at cars outside of those two areas, there are nearly none with 20.1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I often get a bit frustrated that I’m not on the latest software revs, it is important to note that - like Melinda pointed out - sometimes there are releases that fix a specific issue for certain regions and otherwise don’t really include anything new, thus your not likely to get it, and you shouldn’t worry about it. The software isn’t that fully matured to where it’s simply a bug fix or grand new feature with every release.

IOS is quite mature at this point, and yet Apple just put out a release that only applies to iPhone 8 models to fix a camera issue. Not on an iPhone 8, your a rev behind and you just have to deal with it.

I hope that somewhere down the line, Tesla moves to something similar to Microsoft’s ‘ring’ approach to Windows 10 builds. You can be on the fast break-my-stuff-every-few-days ring, the slow more-tested-not-going-to-impregnate-your-cat ring, or the release ring where most folks live with the ‘production’ code. That’s sort of what they have with the ‘Advanced’ setting, though they will also factor in your cars features, your location etc into which version they offer.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was an early reservation holder and paid full price for my M3 even though at the time of purchase I fully expected the price to come down as they ramped up production and got production and manufacturing costs down. I was not willing to wait the year or more for this to happen and am more than glad that I jumped on it when I did.

It happens continually with high tech items, expensive when first introduced, prices drop as more and more people embrace the new tech.

I personally hope the cost of EV ownership continues to drop in order to help the adoption of renewable energy and saving our planet.

Anyone who thinks a Tesla will cost more 1-2 years from now is a fool. More efficient production, more competition etc. will equal lower prices. I say bring it on and be proud that we are some of the few that helped, in some small way, to usher in new adoption of EV to the masses. I got what I paid for and love every minute of it.

Country
Country
This first line was a response to MelindaV's remarks about providing bug reports as a member of the EAP and belongs there (in early access):

It's a good point that EAP isn't really a "reward" unless you're deadset on bug hunting and reporting. If not a refund, I would have preferred some supercharger credits for the misplaced faith in buying upfront. Short of that, put me at the front of the line for hardware 3.0 as mentioned above (though I'm anticipating a renege on that promise, too...keep reading), especially as the shrieking about Chapter 11 grows louder.

Last edited:

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Eh, its par for the course really. I fully expect them to fulfill their promises on their timeline, as an adult I'm patient and can wait. I'm fairly certain there far more complex problems behind the scenes that can cause delays and change the original plan. Plus nobody truly knows the methodology on why they deploy the OTA Updates to certain cars and not others, they have their reasons why some are getting an update while the rest don't. From where I'm standing it appears that quite a few owners are taking the car they drive for granted and constantly yearn for the latest greatest update instead of just enjoying their cars and when an update comes rejoicing again for how amazing a company this is for constantly upgrading our cars for free. As far as FSD goes, everybody knew the this would not be happening for a while. I bought into it not because I wanted some special privilege but simply wanted to have the first few FSD features as soon as possible, whenever that may be.

Last edited:

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Eh, its par for the course really. I fully expect them to fulfill their promises on their timeline, as an adult I'm patient and can wait. I'm fairly certain there far more complex problems behind the scenes that can cause delays and change the original plan. Plus nobody truly knows the methodology on why they deploy the OTA Updates to certain cars and not others, they have their reasons why some are getting an update while the rest don't. From where I'm standing it appears that most are taking the car they drive for granted and constantly yearn for the latest greatest update instead of just enjoying their cars and when an update comes rejoicing again for how amazing a company this is for constantly upgrading our cars for free. As far as FSD goes, everybody knew the this would not be happening for a while. I bought into it not because I wanted some special privilege but simply wanted to have the first few FSD features as soon as possible, whenever that may be.
I second your sentiment on this.

The car I picked up in Sept/2018 is now worth much more to me than it was then and this is thanks all the new features added since via software updates, all of which came at no additional cost. But all this software development has to be paid for somehow and with the cars themselves being barely profitable, I totally understand where Tesla stands.
If someone were to asses the value of the added features via s/w updates line by line, it will likely add up to a significant number when compared to how much legacy automakers charge for such feature add-ons to their cars and still no legacy automaker is even close to offering what Tesla does as far as tech.

Yes, in paying for FSD, we all paid for a 'promise' and not a guarantee and this is clearly indicated in the fine print of that agreement and it is not unreasonable at all. I see it as an investment in the future that will pay off not in money but in tangible value added to the car and the driving public overall. Call me altruistic about this, but it is, in my humble opinion, in the best interest of society to advance self driving tech to maturity and Tesla is at the cutting edge of this.

Will we have true no-nag FSD in the lifetime of my Model 3? likely not, but I made my contribution to it and will continue to do so.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Probably the best part of the email is they recognized the group of people that did pay the randsom fee (pay this now or else) up front.
Except those of us who paid up front and didn't get the email are now feeling left out.:(...;)

Seriously, though, not going to lose any sleep over this one.