EAP brake thud from actuator in stop/go traffic.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone able to hear their brake actuator near the bottom of the steering column? I can only hear it in stop and go where the car just starts going and then immediately stops again after moving forward a few feet. Service is trying to reproduce it right now, wondering if others have heard theres and how loud "normal" is. Mine sounds like a thud of moderate loudness.

Asked them to check while working other items: replace reflector from door, align back pax door, check for ticking sound from driver dash when parked in sun and first turning on ac, black screen issues, replace rear bench etc.

SoCal Cal

Country
Country
I hear some thuds with TACC in stop and go, also, but mine sound more like down near the pedals or maybe near the dead pedal. I wasn't sure if this was normal and can't ask other local owners since they all have RWD and I have Dual Motor. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thinking of going for a drive with the mobile service tech to get their opinion.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed a similar noise in stop start traffic. Brought it in to service and they noted that it is due to the brake release when using TACC. Try and see if you can recreate the noise by stepping on the edge of the brake pedal and quickly lifting your foot off.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I noticed a similar noise in stop start traffic. Brought it in to service and they noted that it is due to the brake release when using TACC. Try and see if you can recreate the noise by stepping on the edge of the brake pedal and quickly lifting your foot off.

I get a similar type of rumbling noise when I am in cruise control and traffic comes to a sudden stop. It is only a sometimes thing. Tech repair said it was normal; but I am not buying it. Otherwise I would think there would be many more inquiries and discussions.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone able to hear their brake actuator near the bottom of the steering column? I can only hear it in stop and go where the car just starts going and then immediately stops again after moving forward a few feet. Service is trying to reproduce it right now, wondering if others have heard theres and how loud "normal" is. Mine sounds like a thud of moderate loudness.

Asked them to check while working other items: replace reflector from door, align back pax door, check for ticking sound from driver dash when parked in sun and first turning on ac, black screen issues, replace rear bench etc.
my commute both directions is in stop and go traffic (most all inching forward, stopping, inching forward), but haven't heard what you are describing. but I also feel like most all of the slowing is done with regen braking, not mechanical braking.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Service can't find it? Congratulations, you have a really good range of hearing! I can hear what I would describe it as a dull "pop" as the brake hold engages. I don't think any of my passengers have heard it, nor is it audible outside of the car.

I curious about the "replace rear bench" part. What??

The ticking sound from the driver dash, that's from rapid cooling of the plastics. The dash is made of 4 separate parts (2 vents, and upper and lower cover) and they can expand and contract independent of each other. It's not likely to damage anything - that would be loud bangs instead of plastic parts colliding that would indicate a problem.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The ticking sound from the driver dash, that's from rapid cooling of the plastics. The dash is made of 4 separate parts (2 vents, and upper and lower cover) and they can expand and contract independent of each other. It's not likely to damage anything - that would be loud bangs instead of plastic parts colliding that would indicate a problem.
the vents move air by air jets pushing air in different directions, not moving louvers, so there is very little chance there would be anything colliding within the vent system

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the vents move air by air jets pushing air in different directions, not moving louvers, so there is very little chance there would be anything colliding within the vent system
That's true - I was thinking of a collision like the vent structure pushing/pulling against the dashboard piece until it pops free, and then you hear a loud plastic "bang". Ticking just means they're sliding past each other, which is normal.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If Service can't find it? Congratulations, you have a really good range of hearing! I can hear what I would describe it as a dull "pop" as the brake hold engages. I don't think any of my passengers have heard it, nor is it audible outside of the car.

I curious about the "replace rear bench" part. What??

Rear bench had some leather fold problems since delivery, they put me down for a replacement but that was months ago. No word yet. Basically looked like someone rolled up the rear and steamed it in the folded state then reintsalled.
Also supposed to replace the door interior from passenger rear soor they scraped during alignment of door fix, but no word for that either.

Vent sound was fixed with tape they installed but now the whole dash creeks more during driving, so I just turn the radio up to be louder.

Time to ping them about the parts, I've also heard people around me hVe gotten their labels and spoilers after 5 months and its been 9 months for me. Maybe I can get it all done with one visit.