Dumb question about using J1772 adapter

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
At my office we have 2 chargers per 4 parking spots, so typically if you don't get one of the 2 chargers when you park you leave your charge port door open so those who snagged the charger before you arrived can connect you to the charger if the leave/go to lunch/etc. In prep for this I parked my M3 and went ahead and inserted the J1772 adapter into my car hoping someone would plug it in. At lunch I came out and the two cars using the two chargers hadn't moved, but other spots were open. Unfortunately I could not figure out how to remove the adapter to allow it to safely close the charge port door. If it's documented somewhere I can't find it, how do you remove the adapter if you don't have a charger connected? Locking/unlocking didn't seem to do it. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, feel free to tell me how I'm dumb :).

GeoJohn23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While the manual release is good to know about, you should not have to use it to remove the adapter. If the phone or car screen charge port unlock option doesn’t let you easily pull out the adapter, then you should schedule a service appointment to have them look at why. You may have something not quite right with the adapter or need a minor adjustment of the charge port lock mechanism.

Nautilus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave the car with the J1772 adapter in it without being plugged into a charger for a prolonged period of time. I'm thinking the charge port door will keep cycling every minute or so, trying to shut since the car is not receiving charging power, only to sense the J1772 adapter and reopen. Yeah, that happens occasionally if one is a bit slow to plug in the actual charger to the adapter, and that's not a big deal, but for it to cycle repeatedly over several hours is probably not good for the charge door. Especially day after day. Just my opinion.

All that being said, I find that my adapter doesn't "lock in place" until charging power has been applied, so I'm not sure why the locking tab of the OP ever engaged (unless that was a byproduct of the constant cycling of the charge door trying to shut).

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Although I've never tried the manual release, the manual makes a point that you should not pull the manual release while your are removing the charger. Pull the release first I guess.