Dull knock clunk sound front end, slow turn

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does the same thing. It used to happen a lot less frequently, and when it did happen it was loud and you could feel it.....now it happens more frequently (a couple times every drive) but it isnt as loud. I have a service appointment next week to have them drive in the car with me, since I can reproduce it a lot easier compared to when new.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the exact same issue...Slow speeds, over a bump or out of a driveway, it sounded like the plastic frunk was loose...

I brought it in for service, and they confirmed that Steering Rack was LOOSE!

1000 miles on the car, and they had to torque the entire front suspension and streering components to specifications

After torque, the issue went away....

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the exact same issue...Slow speeds, over a bump or out of a driveway, it sounded like the plastic frunk was loose...

I brought it in for service, and they confirmed that Steering Rack was LOOSE!

1000 miles on the car, and they had to torque the entire front suspension and streering components to specifications

After torque, the issue went away....
I hope this doesnt have any long term effects since my car now has 5500 miles on it.

groovetesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having this same issue. I took my vehicle in to the Service Center. They said it's a known issue and Tesla is working on a fix.

As per usual, my experience with their customer service was about a 2/10. Total amateurs.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having this same issue. I took my vehicle in to the Service Center. They said it's a known issue and Tesla is working on a fix.

As per usual, my experience with their customer service was about a 2/10. Total amateurs.
Ill take a screenshot of the service work order, but mine clearly stated something along the lines of

"Confirmed Customer Noise Issue, Steering Component was Loose, Tightened front suspension and steering to torque specifications"

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This is a area where tesla needs to step up big time.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got an update from the service center today :

"It is a design issue from production and we have a solution for the concern. It is non safety related and your vehicle will be inspected thoroughly before we return it back to you."

Going on 9 days now without my vehicle, and parts won't be in until 1/21 :/

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since the temperature decreased I have noticed this also. I commonly get a clunk from front wheel when it is on outside of a turn and in a low spot, so seems like torque on the body. Also had expansion/contraction popping when driving into mountains with higher elevation and lower temps there were intermittent pops that almost sounded like a big relay right under our feet, but read elsewhere that it is confirmed to be the floor. Oh how we need the flufferbot.

groovetesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Pearl is at the Service Center getting this issue fixed right now. It's a known issue and they can diagnose it fairly quickly with a test drive.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As much as I hate to hear of these issues, I hope that these discussions will help yield a remedy from Tesla. Thx all for posting your findings!

Firewired

Ok. I got my car into service the second time and they figured it out, sound is now gone. The techs said they were able to publish the fix on their internal board as it had not been written up. Apparently they found that my front left wheel hub assembly was loose and had some debris in it. They removed it cleaned it out and put on correctly and that fixed the front left “clunk” noise that I was hearing at low speed. Hope that helps.

Firewired

OK. After what I thought was a solution, sound came back shortly after and I just lived with it. I have two P3Ds and one has the "clunk" noise at low speed of decelerations and acceleration particularly exaggerated when going up or down a high, the other does not. Several weeks ago I got a front motor warning that had a turtle icon on it and said, "Power Reduced - Front Motor Temporarily Disabled" A reset resolved the warning, I made an appointment with service wondering if front left clunk sound had something to do with warning. I just got the car back they said motor checked out fine, warning was a fluke. The basically told me that the clunk sound was a normal variant that some P3Ds make, and is "gear lash from the front drive unit." (????)

vinnie97

Country
Country
I have this at certain angular approaches to an upward sloped garage (right-hand turn, driver's side). If I make the turn early enough (before the incline), I can avoid it. It sounds like achieving a real fix is a crapshoot and with the service center 2 hours away, I'm not in a rush to seek repair.

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have this at certain angular approaches to an upward sloped garage (right-hand turn, driver's side). If I make the turn early enough (before the incline), I can avoid it. It sounds like achieving a real fix is a crapshoot and with the service center 2 hours away, I'm not in a rush to seek repair.
HAD this as well. There are some other posts about it. Thing is... Ever since I took my car in for the knocking/snapping sound I was getting on acceleration/deceleration (posts on this too), the clunk you are describing seems to have gone away. I suppose there is a chance they are related. The knocking/snapping was the result of a loose axle nut (or something like that) (was something they had seen on a few cars) and maybe the clunking was the sound that issue made on the slow upward turns. Maybe.

vinnie97

Country
Country
Well, I took it to be checked, and they didn't find anything untoward (they did lift it for analysis and tighten the suspension). Still hearing a noise when the turning radius is tight enough on my driveway's incline. I don't hear it otherwise, so I'll just refrain from making the turn so tightly.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been noticing this as well lately. For me it seems sporadic (so far?) and I haven't figured out how to reproduce it on demand which makes a service appointment likely futile. Thanks for the bit about the incline.

Firewired

Well, I don't now if this is the answer. This technical service bulletin was released last month. It does seem to describe the conditions that bring out my clunk noise exactly. It worsens anytime going up or down a slope, as well as a get a repetitive metallic noise when supercharging. I am taking my car back for the third time and asked them if the TSB could be the answer. I will post any results. IMG_2891.jpeg