Dull knock clunk sound front end, slow turn

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello all. Since I've had my M3 I've noticed a muted knock/clunk sound when I'm turning slowly into a driveway or street where the grade changes at a deeper gutter. Not loud at all, just sounds like something heavy is shifting in the frunk (but it's empty). I'm guessing it is a suspension issue?? I'm going to set up a service call but thought I'd do my own research here first to see if anyone else may have discovered an dresolved this.
Many thx,
Moo

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello all. Since I've had my M3 I've noticed a muted knock/clunk sound when I'm turning slowly into a driveway or street where the grade changes at a deeper gutter. Not loud at all, just sounds like something heavy is shifting in the frunk (but it's empty). I'm guessing it is a suspension issue?? I'm going to set up a service call but thought I'd do my own research here first to see if anyone else may have discovered an dresolved this.
Many thx,
Moo
I may have had this same issue. I never brought it in so I'm curious what you find out. I've been thinking I'd mention it when I bring it in to put the winter tires on. Haven't noticed any issues and only had it happen twice I think.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A possible explanation is that you’re feeling some stick-slip in a front wheel during sharp turning. The steering geometry must attempt to steer the wheels differently since they must follow different radii, but doesn’t get it quite right - not unusual. On certain surfaces, one of the wheels might slip, stick, slip, stick, etc. instead of more smoothly skidding to make up for the error.

See if it happens in the rain.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thx very interesting. I've only noticed it on dry roads and in a dry parking garage. I'm trying to gather more specific data regarding left turn, right turn, temp, speed, depth of the dip. I want to be able to replicate it on a driveway near the Tesla dealer so they can hear it themselves.

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get something similar to this, but only turning left at slow speed.
The knocking is speed related so the faster I go the more rapid the knocking is.
I do have a service scheduled for other items (list is getting longer) so will try to remember to update when resolved.

I might just do a new thread with all the issues and resolutions.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thx very interesting. I've only noticed it on dry roads and in a dry parking garage. I'm trying to gather more specific data regarding left turn, right turn, temp, speed, depth of the dip. I want to be able to replicate it on a driveway near the Tesla dealer so they can hear it themselves.
I talked to a service tech today and he said to record the time it happens as accurately as possible. He also mentioned using the Bug Report voice command and said they would be able to look that up when you call for service. He didn't have any thoughts on what it might be but I'm not sure how much experience he has either.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I talked to a service tech today and he said to record the time it happens as accurately as possible. He also mentioned using the Bug Report voice command and said they would be able to look that up when you call for service. He didn't have any thoughts on what it might be but I'm not sure how much experience he has either.
Thx much. I didn’t know about the bug report function. It happens so infrequently, I’m trying to find a place to consistently make it happen near the dealer for my next visit.

ancpratt

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi guys,

I'm having the same issue too. When I slow down, make a right turn, and apply the brakes, I hear a loud clunk right underneath my feet or around that area of the left-front wheel well. It's happens randomly as well. So odd!

I already have a list of things to take to my local Tesla Service Center so I'll add this one to it and see what they find.

Thanks

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thx, my dealer was not too keen on looking into it unless I could make it happen for them. Still trying to find a situation where I can do that on command. I’m currently wondering if it’s a random stuck brake?? Look forward to hearing what others come up with.

ancpratt

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thx, my dealer was not too keen on looking into it unless I could make it happen for them. Still trying to find a situation where I can do that on command. I’m currently wondering if it’s a random stuck brake?? Look forward to hearing what others come up with.
I'm thinking I'll have to record it on my phone in order to show them what's happening since it happens randomly.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update. At Tesla service, they are telling me that the sound is the twisting of the sheet metal plate that protects the underside of the battery. It’s a known issue to the technician; safe he claims. It’s the car torsioning as the frame twists on an uneven grade turn at slow speed. I get this on both left and right turns, dry pavement, intensity varies by outside temperature and grade degree (which makes physics sense) I wish it wasn’t doing this, but it seems to be an engineering issue. I asked them to check it anyway and tighten it if needed.

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get that sound every morning when I turn into my parking lot at low speeds, which is also up and over a ramp and sidewalk. So, I always felt it was a twisting noise too. Don't love it, but it sounds like you're saying they said it was ok.

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Much of these sounds can be explained by the fact that battery pack is enclosed in an outer shell of sheet metal. These are fairly large, flat, pieces which will make sounds like that when they flex.
they are designed to be able to flex like that so it's perfectly fine, but if they get too frequent and loud then it could be something else.

I know I've heard these pops when I park in my garage after returning home from work and being cold outside. As the sheet metal warms up in the garage, it'll begin making these popping noises periodically.
Here's one way to determine these for yourself. If you have a large, stainless Steel, sink in your kitchen pour some boiling hot water into the empty basin and you'll hear the same types of popping sounds as the sheet metal warps slightly to adjust to the rapid temperature change. In the TM3, of course, these are not caused by rapid temperate changes (would be too unhealthy for the battery packs' long term reliability) but instead by very minute flexing in the frame and with the battery pack functioning as major structural component, this flex is normal and expected when going through tight turns or transitioning through very rough or uneven road surfaces.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've gotta say. Every time I get this loud "twisting empty olive oil can" sound, I feel a little crappy about my wonderful new car. I hope it never happens when I'm giving someone a ride, they'll be sure to say "what the heck was that?" and I'll have to make excuses for poor engineering. Knowing a bit about how metal fatigues over time, I also wonder how this might affect the protection and life of the battery. I would have guessed that the most precious part of our car’s (battery) would have been designed to be isolated from twisting stress from the frame of the car. (sigh)

Last edited:

francodman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes! I'm having the same issue - I too thought it sounded like sheet metal flexing and resetting. My car is at the service center now being checked out - so glad to read that others have had this same thing happen to them - but hopefully they can figure out how to address the issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes! I'm having the same issue - I too thought it sounded like sheet metal flexing and resetting. My car is at the service center now being checked out - so glad to read that others have had this same thing happen to them - but hopefully they can figure out how to address the issue.
Sorry to hear you’re having this as well. If you do get any resolution or info pls share. Best.

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine also does this - intermittently when turning left after or before a sloped driveway. Sounds exactly the same as the tin can/oil can pop when placing my sunshade on the rear floor.

Last edited: