Due List repairs: M3 at body shop for 20 days and counting. Is this the norm?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car was delivered with 3 visible paint defects (bubbles or contaminants during painting).

I dropped the car at Rockville MD service center on May 22. Apparently, they tell me the contracted auto body shop damaged a rear taillight assembly while fixing the paint and the car has been stuck in limbo/purgatory for nearly 3 weeks because they can’t source a replacement tail light.

Is this normal that there are no spare parts available? Any suggestions on something I can do to compel Tesla to care?

After 30 days the vehicle is covered by Maryland’s lemon laws, but I can’t imagine filing a lemon law complaint over a minor paint defect.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it doesn't really sound like something that should fall under lemon laws, but typical waiting for a body shop. Which, 3 weeks is not out of the ordinary to be waiting for a replacement part (that the body shop damaged).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean typical for Tesla, or typical for all autos? The allegedly broken piece is a tail light assembly — nothing as special as body panel or pillar; and something one could reasonably expect would be immediately available in the repair parts supply chain.

The service center has stated that they are no longer allowed to keep parts inventory on hand — which to me is a bit disconcerting as the demand for repair services will naturally scale in relation to the number of vehicles on the road.

I’ve liked the M3 — the little I’ve actually been able to drive it. I feel sorry for anyone who is involved in any sort of accident requiring spare parts. My only advice — make sure you get a loaner vehicle...

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean typical for Tesla, or typical for all autos? The allegedly broken piece is a tail light assembly — nothing as special as body panel or pillar; and something one could reasonably expect would be immediately available in the repair parts supply chain.
There aren't many Model 3's in the wild yet. As Tesla continues to ramp production towards 5000/week and delivers them, there will be more demand for parts and the parts supply chain will fill up. Right now most spare parts are probably sourced from the Freemont factory.

wawam3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel for you...mine went in for fixes at Fremont Service Center on June 1 with a loaner SUV and still waiting for it. ICE is not a fun car to drive...