Dual vs. First Available - Advice/Opinions?

  • SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

    SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

BobLoblaw

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
237
Location
Kelowna BC
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#1
So I’ve received my invite - very exciting. I am now finding myself seriously debating waiting for dual motor vs. pulling the trigger right now. Lots of things factoring in the decision, but seeing as I’m sure there are others in my shoes, I’m looking for opinions - especially from current Tesla owners.

We have a second vehicle, and although we plan on driving the 3 in the winter (on dedicated winter tires/rims) we can always jump in our truck if the weather is really foul. So - is it worth the extra cost, do you think it will be bundled or offered alone, and am I just getting antsy because it’s finally happening?

We aren’t in a rush, and I suspect that we will be getting more info from Tesla regarding dual motor very soon. I’m not sure why but I’m envisioning a jump to 80k after tax here in B.C. (no EAP) and I’m having a tough time thinking about spending that much on a car. Could just be last minute cold feet but I’m a cheap pilot at heart, and that configure button is looming large with a total cost (67,000 before tax and rebates) right at limit of my comfort level.

So guys, go for it now and potentially regret not waiting for dual, wait and see what it’s going to cost, or just be happy, order the car and not look back?

Cheers!

BobLoblaw (Peter)
 

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
11,773
Location
Pittsburgh PA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#2
It looks like Canadians will be offered dual-motor before Americans can order them. Since you're not in Ontario, I'm guessing there's no impending loss of a rebate/refund that you need to worry about. Given that, I think I would definitely wait for Tesla to provide more information before making a decision.

Of course, that's exactly what I'm doing as well. In my case, I may end up ordering First Production anyway if the dual-motor price is too high for my taste, or if it looks like the timing means I miss out on $3750 of the federal incentive.
 
Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
Moderator
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
9,889
Location
Florida
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#3
I’m not the best positioned to give an opinion since my snow driving is limited to one experience in Whistler a few months ago in an ICE rental car with bad tires and FWD :eek::eek::eek:

Seeing a video like the below though seemingly suggests dual motor is not necessary.

 

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Joined
Oct 29, 2017
Messages
409
Location
Sainte-Anne-des-Lacs, Québec
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#4
Wait, I know that's what I'm doing.
One thing that helped me decide is regen, I just don't like knowing my rear wheels doing the slowing down on a slippery surface.
Of course, there's a lot of rwd Ss out there wituout issues but it is a different car and it's somewhat heavier.
I'm sure it will make a more planted front end and an more balanced car overall.
I looked at that video and it didn't impress me, nothing like awd in the snow, add a little slope and they would have had a hard time launching.

As for price, I have the same issue. It's the price of a well equiped A4 so my rational is:
What other electric car will offer you this at this price
How long are you ready to keep it to amortize it.

In my case, I usually get rid of my cars when they turn 20 so that's a good way to feel better about the initial price.
 

mtdoak

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
220
Location
Allentown, PA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#5
As an american in the northern climate, If i could be guaranteed I'd get the AWD while the federal incentive was still available, I probably would have waited. But ,if the federal incentive hear dropped to $3750, AWD would end up being a $8000 option instead of a $4000-5000 USD option. Range will probably be a little worse in practice, but you'll get more power, better handling in all weather conditions. I'm in a similar situation to you where my wife has a SUV we can take in bad weather.

To be 100% fair, the RWD in Tesla's isn't as bad as lets say a RWD civic or old RWD Ford Ranger where there is zero weight in the back so it has a hard time getting traction in bad weather. The battery pack + rear mounted motor means that you won't have to put bags of salt or something in the back come winter time. If you are impatient with delays already, the RWD one should be fine in all be the worst of road conditions. That being said, if you can wait a few more months and there aren't any hard deadlines on rebates coming up...not a bad idea to hold out for more options.
 

BobLoblaw

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
237
Location
Kelowna BC
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#6
Thanks guys.

I think a big part of it is the holy-smokes-I-got-invited factor. Seems like the consensus is wait and see, next big question will be whether or not dual motor is worth the price. I hope Tesla sticks to Musks earlier tweet about it being less than 5k!
 

Robert

Active member
Joined
Oct 25, 2016
Messages
27
Location
Scarborough, ON
Country
Country
#7
So I’ve received my invite - very exciting. I am now finding myself seriously debating waiting for dual motor vs. pulling the trigger right now. Lots of things factoring in the decision, but seeing as I’m sure there are others in my shoes, I’m looking for opinions - especially from current Tesla owners.

We have a second vehicle, and although we plan on driving the 3 in the winter (on dedicated winter tires/rims) we can always jump in our truck if the weather is really foul. So - is it worth the extra cost, do you think it will be bundled or offered alone, and am I just getting antsy because it’s finally happening?

We aren’t in a rush, and I suspect that we will be getting more info from Tesla regarding dual motor very soon. I’m not sure why but I’m envisioning a jump to 80k after tax here in B.C. (no EAP) and I’m having a tough time thinking about spending that much on a car. Could just be last minute cold feet but I’m a cheap pilot at heart, and that configure button is looming large with a total cost (67,000 before tax and rebates) right at limit of my comfort level.

So guys, go for it now and potentially regret not waiting for dual, wait and see what it’s going to cost, or just be happy, order the car and not look back?

Cheers!

BobLoblaw (Peter)
Hi Peter
As with you, we have an SUV to use on bad winter days. So my feeling is RWD with snow tires will be satisfactory most of the winter months. I don't intend to drive it in crappy road conditions. Looked like You You on his winter crossing of North America got reasonable handling once he switched to snow tires.

I wanted AWD but because of the Ontario rebate situation so ordered RWD. I am not concerned with the slight loss of range with RWD or the slightly slower launch speed. The big advantage of RWD is you save some money and get your car sooner.

On the other hand the longer you delay gives Tesla time to fix any bugs that come up. I had a bad experience with early production Toyota van (3 recalls in first 3 months), Just hope no major issues will crop up with the Model 3
 

BobLoblaw

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
237
Location
Kelowna BC
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#8
Well that escalated quickly....

Configured our Midnight Silver Metallic/Sport Wheels over a nice glass of Cab Franc and a great meal tonight!

Decided we needed to draw a line in the sand on how much we would spend...turns out it’s right around what we just ordered :)

Dual motor would have been great, but for now 71k CDN after tax is pushing my envelope, and I have no doubt the car will be everything I want and more! Excited!!!!!
 

JohnMon

Active member
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2017
Messages
127
Location
Aurora, Ontario
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#9
Thanks guys.

I think a big part of it is the holy-smokes-I-got-invited factor. Seems like the consensus is wait and see, next big question will be whether or not dual motor is worth the price. I hope Tesla sticks to Musks earlier tweet about it being less than 5k!
When did you reserve?
 

JBsC6

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 17, 2016
Messages
381
Location
Northern NJ
Country
Country
#11
Congratulations....I want a dual motor standard 220 battery and that's my line in the sand.

I want the 19 inch rims and an extra cost paint in white.


I want this in 2018 with a. $3750 rebate or no dice.

Congrats on your car
 

BobLoblaw

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
237
Location
Kelowna BC
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#12
Thanks!

I felt we needed to set a limit - without one it would have been way too easy to nickel and dime our way up close to 100k CDN. Heck if you’re going for dual why not P, SAS, EAP etc etc etc.

Regardless, I’m stoked!
 

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2017
Messages
989
Location
Ontario
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#13
So I’ve received my invite - very exciting. I am now finding myself seriously debating waiting for dual motor vs. pulling the trigger right now. Lots of things factoring in the decision, but seeing as I’m sure there are others in my shoes, I’m looking for opinions - especially from current Tesla owners.

We have a second vehicle, and although we plan on driving the 3 in the winter (on dedicated winter tires/rims) we can always jump in our truck if the weather is really foul. So - is it worth the extra cost, do you think it will be bundled or offered alone, and am I just getting antsy because it’s finally happening?

We aren’t in a rush, and I suspect that we will be getting more info from Tesla regarding dual motor very soon. I’m not sure why but I’m envisioning a jump to 80k after tax here in B.C. (no EAP) and I’m having a tough time thinking about spending that much on a car. Could just be last minute cold feet but I’m a cheap pilot at heart, and that configure button is looming large with a total cost (67,000 before tax and rebates) right at limit of my comfort level.

So guys, go for it now and potentially regret not waiting for dual, wait and see what it’s going to cost, or just be happy, order the car and not look back?

Cheers!

BobLoblaw (Peter)
I always figured you were a pilot. I’ll never forget years ago as an S/O when the Capt had me fill out the the flight information sheet for a brand new Purser as Capt Bob Loblaw. Pissed ourselves laughing listening to the announcement!
 
Last edited:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2017
Messages
989
Location
Ontario
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#14
Thanks!

I felt we needed to set a limit - without one it would have been way too easy to nickel and dime our way up close to 100k CDN. Heck if you’re going for dual why not P, SAS, EAP etc etc etc.

Regardless, I’m stoked!
I agree. We had 3 cars when I retired. Now down to 1. AWD Escape with extra alloys and Bridgestone Blizzacks. I ordered First Production with EAP and 19”. Going to winter park it except for really good days so no extra wheels and snows. I really wanted AWD but that would push it to over $90 Ontario tax in. Had to draw the line.
 

Sitter_k

Active member
Joined
Jun 26, 2017
Messages
63
Location
Caledon Ontario
Country
Country
#15
I'm in ontario too, I'm going to wait a month or so and see what happens with AWD. I'm also looking for LR so I assume it shouldn't be too much longer. If everything is quiet in May with no signs of progress I might just pull the trigger.

If the 14k rebate is canceled in 2018 my resale value will have gone up slightly. Maybe I'll be tempted to order a new AWD then....
 

c2c

Active member
TOO Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2017
Messages
190
Location
Seattle, WA
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#16
Range will probably be a little worse in practice, but you'll get more power, better handling in all weather conditions.
Not sure range is worse with dual motors. The S dual motors seem to be optimized for different speeds, so the car can choose where to add the power. Plus dual motor regen can scavenge energy from all wheels. I recall a dual S gets maybe 5% more range over a RWD S, all other things being equal.
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm going RWD, at least for my first 3, since the battery weight and electric traction control will be nearly the same as any malformed ICE AWD vehicle. And for those 3-5 days of snow each year, maybe just stay home...
 

BobLoblaw

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
237
Location
Kelowna BC
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
#17
My rationale for pulling the trigger on First Production...

- RWD with good winters will be as good or better than our current Jetta, which is fine

- We probably aren’t going to take the Tesla on super nasty winter road trips anyways. Not a fan of rock chips, black ice at 120km/hr or generally the coquihalla highway in the winter

- I’m already spending almost twice as much as I ever have on a vehicle. I can afford the dual, but had to draw the line somewhere

- I’m not sure my poor heart could take seeing Model 3s ripping around while I sit in my diesel Jetta which...

- Has a clock ticking on a buyback program...

But hey that’s just me.
 
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
20
Location
Hamilton, ON
Country
Country
#18
Wait for the dual motor for hopefully $4k US. It may actually pay for itself in the long run because you get better highway efficiency as you have two smaller motors vs one large in the back and so one motor can "sleep" on the highway, similar to cylinder deactivation on ICE cars. Other area you can pick up efficiency is under regen mostly in city. I'm planning on putting 200 km/day on the M3, so the efficiency of the dual motor should pay me back quickly. Is there an actual real world test between the dual vs single on the Model S?

Also 2018 Q1 letter reported the demand is highest for SR battery and dual motor, so let's hope that is the next config for the production line:D
 
Last edited:

Enginerd

Active member
Joined
Aug 27, 2017
Messages
91
Location
NC & GA
Country
Country
#19
Sounds like it's too late in this particular case, but I'd generally suggest waiting for dual motor (or non-PUP, or white interior, or whatever). Every person that kindly steps aside puts me one car closer to the front of the line for a First Production. Thanks in advance! ;)