Dual Motor whine noise from front end

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MTR852

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took delivery of my Model 3 LR Dual Motor on Friday, Aug 31st. Right after entering the highway, notice a low whine type noise from the front highway speeds from 50mph (80kmh) and up, I assume is from the front motor. Took a day drive around yesterday, still very noticeable even my front passenger notice it. Of course, I don't notice it if I turn the music on.
Not sure if this is normal but will request service center to take a look along with other issues, I was a former Volvo tech, maybe my ears are too sensitive to noises from my previous career? :D:tearsofjoy:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I had the same experience after picking up my AWD Model 3 (same day as you!). Based on my Model X, it too makes a whining sound from the front motor. I really hate that noise and now wish I just got the rear wheel drive Model 3.

Stream3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I definitely don't hear a front motor whine, and I like to drive with the music off. Took delivery last week. Just got back from an overnight trip. 225 mile round trip. Tried to stay on country roads. Really enjoyed driving the twistys. So fun and stable. Lot's of nice comments at the hotel. Valet parking only, no self park. First 3 they had. Had to give the valet's the scoop on the card. Set max speed at 35. Love that feature! Did not like giving my brand new 3 to a couple of youngsters, but I have to say they took good care of it.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took delivery of my Model 3 LR Dual Motor on Friday, Aug 31st. Right after entering the highway, notice a low whine type noise from the front highway speeds from 50mph (80kmh) and up, I assume is from the front motor. Took a day drive around yesterday, still very noticeable even my front passenger notice it. Of course, I don't notice it if I turn the music on.
Not sure if this is normal but will request service center to take a look along with other issues, I was a former Volvo tech, maybe my ears are too sensitive to noises from my previous career? :D:tearsofjoy:
Yes, I had the same experience after picking up my AWD Model 3 (same day as you!). Based on my Model X, it too makes a whining sound from the front motor. I really hate that noise and now wish I just got the rear wheel drive Model 3.
Can either of you post a video recording it (no music or A/C)? I didn’t hear any noise in the Performance car I spent the day with, so I’m curious.

Firewired

Many of the Tesla motors make a whine noise that increases with acceleration with variability between motors. I think it is even more noticeable with dual because the motor is so much closer to you.

I have had two dual Model Set and a dual Model X. It is very interesting the variability with different cars. My first S (P85D) made a high pitched whine that was very noticeable and would get louder with the harder you accelerated. That motor developed an issue and had to be replaced. The one they replaced it with made an annoying oscillating noise at exactly 77mph and still had a slight whine. I took my local lead mechanic for a drive and was told both noises were normal variants. I was so glad when I traded that car in for my current P100D. The motor does not make any oscillation noise, and the whine is barely audible. Our X90D has a much more noticeable distinct whine with even slight acceleration. I am hoping to win the motor lottery and get a quiet motor when my Model 3 finally gets out of "rail jail."

Country
Country
I was a bit worried about that with the dual motor, but mine doesn't bother me at all. I hear it mostly on acceleration/regen, but it's really not that bad (just for reference, I'm one of those people that couldn't stand the high-pitch screech from old CRT tvs/monitors, so I don't think it's that my hearing is shot). I wonder if there's some variability between cars? Mine is certainly a lot less noise than the wind-noise...

The wind noise on the other hand has been bugging me. I can't seem to figure it out because it's not always an issue, but it seems that if there is even a slight bit of cross-wind it sounds like your doing 80mph when you're only doing 40. o_O

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I"m curious to see what the AWD Model 3 sounds like. I'm used to our X with the front motor whine, I find it's various noises rather charming ;)

Ceco

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked my Dual Motor Model 3 yesterday. When got home I noticed that when parked the car makes some clicking noise that comes from behind the front wheels. I thought that something is cooling the batteries but next morning was doing the same. Today stopped at the supercharging station and there was another Model 3. I talked to the guy and listened to his car but it doesn't make that noise. He has the same configuration and got it yesterday as well. Any ideas?

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll Trade ya! Haha!

dragonvoi

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked my Dual Motor Model 3 yesterday. When got home I noticed that when parked the car makes some clicking noise that comes from behind the front wheels. I thought that something is cooling the batteries but next morning was doing the same. Today stopped at the supercharging station and there was another Model 3. I talked to the guy and listened to his car but it doesn't make that noise. He has the same configuration and got it yesterday as well. Any ideas?
does your clicking go along with the speed of the car? mine does and I am taking it in for service on Tuesday for the clicking. it is similar to having a zip tie tied to a drive shaft.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine whines a bit, but nothing like the gearbox of my Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite. There should be sound simulator phone apps - we could select classic British gearbox whine, a throaty V8, a VW bug - hours of fun.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My dual motor whines quite audibly at low speeds (and during regen). It's a bit lower pitch than a high pitched whine but much higher pitched than the low pitched whir sound of the rear wheel drive when accelerating.

It seems to have gotten worse after an extended session of backing up on a steep hill.

Speaking of backing up, a fan kicks in when I'm backing into my driveway. I'm not sure what to think of that.

davidericlee

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also have the same deep groaning sound during regen periods... anyone else out there take yours in for this? I'm considering it since it's only a month old!