Dual Motor specs (theoretically) announced today; place your $ bets!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

How much will dual motor cost?

• <$2k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2-3k

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • $3-4k

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • $4-5k

Votes: 54 59.3%
  • $5-6k

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • >$6k

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • LR range decreases by more than 1mi.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • LR range stays within 1 mile of where it is with a single motor

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • LR range increases 2-4 miles

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • LR range incerases 5-8 miles

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • LR range increases 9-12 miles

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • LR range increases 12-15 miles

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • LR range increases 15-20 miles

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • LR range increases 20-25 miles

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • LR range increases 25-30 miles

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • LR range increases 30-40 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LR range increases >40 miles

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Given Musk's "end of next week" tweet last week, today is the day where we should theoretically get the pricing and specs for dual motor and performance. Let's do some polls!

(wish I could do more than one poll per thread!)

ED: I added in the ability to also select how you think dual motor will change the range, but I can't edit the poll title unfortunately. You can select both a range and a price option :)

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Pro Tip: Saturday is the end of the week.

;)
I guess if Musk plans to announce it via Twitter ;) But I personally expect an official Tesla announcement, which would generally happen on a weekday during business hours.

Also, isn't Sunday the last day of the week?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
OOOOOooooooo.

Brain Massaging Exercises! I like it @KarenRei !

From my past posts:

D $3-4k
0-60 4.6s

Plus adding 8-10% range efficiency improvements.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that you've added the range parts to the poll, I'm betting that Tesla doesn't advertise any difference in range between single- and dual-motor. They already seem to be sandbagging the Model 3 range numbers to keep the S as having the largest available range. So I think they're going to stick with that tactic.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Now that you've added the range parts to the poll, I'm betting that Tesla doesn't advertise any difference in range between single- and dual-motor. They already seem to be sandbagging the Model 3 range numbers to keep the S as having the largest available range. So I think they're going to stick with that tactic.
Very interesting thought.

I watched the partial tear down of the 3 battery last night (LOTS of extraneous chatter but also lots of cool info. I hope I didn't skip any important segments). The battery seems to be the same capacity as the "75" S/X battery but 30% lighter and smaller. The 3 is much lighter than the S and has more efficient motors. The 3 will be a hypermiler's dream. I expect the S/X to get the new battery tech in a future update.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Very interesting thought.

I watched the partial tear down of the 3 battery last night (LOTS of extraneous chatter but also lots of cool info. I hope I didn't skip any important segments). The battery seems to be the same capacity as the "75" S/X battery but 30% lighter and smaller. The 3 is much lighter than the S and has more efficient motors. The 3 will be a hypermiler's dream. I expect the S/X to get the new battery tech in a future update.
Me <===== Hypermiler :)

I really do think that at some point - capital justifying it and market demanding it - they'll migrate S & X over to the 3 (or more accurately, Y) platform. Y should be basically a stretched 3 with some incremental improvements. You could put a lot more cells (aka, capacity and power) in a stretched 3 pack.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
OOOOOooooooo.

Brain Massaging Exercises! I like it @KarenRei !

From my past posts:

D $3-4k
0-60 4.6s

Plus adding 8-10% range efficiency improvements.
The nice thing is, we should get to find out the answers soon. :)

As things stand, looks like the running is for a ~$4,4k D that adds ~12 miles range (~4% boost), and a $15k P that does 0-60 in 3,5 seconds :) So, added to the base cost of a LR (excluding PUP and doc/delivery), that's a starting price of $48,3k D and a $59k P. An SR D, assuming the same price ratio, would start at $39,4k (one presumes that there will be no SR P).

Last edited:

summerfun

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I guess if Musk plans to announce it via Twitter ;) But I personally expect an official Tesla announcement, which would generally happen on a weekday during business hours.

Also, isn't Sunday the last day of the week?
Hmmm. I just looked at my calendar to be sure but it looks like Sat is still the last day of the week. ;)