Dual Motor, Performance & Perf Upgrade Differences

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm looking to aggregate knowledge on a few differences between models. A lot has been said about the motors/inverters and more obvious upgrades listed on Tesla's site - so we don't need to cover that here.

Let's outline key differences between these three models:
Dual Motor - also referred to as AWD
Performance - the $11K upgrade that comes with 18" aero wheels
Performance Upgrade Option (PUO) - the $5K option that comes with bigger brakes, 20" wheels, etc.

Suspension - for a while it seemed that the Performance model (w/out PUO) came with upgraded suspension. Maybe it does? Tesla's site lists lowered suspension for the $5000 Performance Upgrade Option. Does this mean the base Performance model is stock height? Does it ride on stock dampers & springs as well?

Brakes - anyone checked out brake size of Dual Motor, or Performance model with Aeros (so no PUO)? Elon tweated that the Performance model brakes as being the same size as Dual Motor. Is this the same size (rotor diameter) as the RWD model as well? Or larger?

What other differences, specifically performance differences aside from power output and RWD vs AWD do we know of?

Now that Performance cars are hitting the street, I'm hoping answers will emerge.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Suspension - for a while it seemed that the Performance model (w/out PUO) came with upgraded suspension. Maybe it does? Tesla's site lists lowered suspension for the $5000 Performance Upgrade Option. Does this mean the base Performance model is stock height? Does it ride on stock dampers & springs as well?
Nothing confirmed yet, but consensus is that only PUO is lowered. Compared to RWD, I would *think* that AWD will need slightly different dampening and spring rates up front due to the front motor weight. The front suspension will need to be different to accommodate the half-shafts out to the wheels.
Brakes - anyone checked out brake size of Dual Motor, or Performance model with Aeros (so no PUO)? Elon tweated that the Performance model brakes as being the same size as Dual Motor. Is this the same size (rotor diameter) as the RWD model as well? Or larger?
Not yet confirmed, but judging solely by pictures, AWD (well, Performance non-PUO) appears to have the same brakes as RWD.
What other differences, specifically performance differences aside from power output and RWD vs AWD do we know of?
I would expect AWD to have stronger regen.

A friend at work is picking up his Performance (non-PUO) late next week. I should be able to take a closer look and more definitively answer some of these questions then.

viperd

Country
Country
I would expect AWD to have stronger regen.

A friend at work is picking up his Performance (non-PUO) late next week. I should be able to take a closer look and more definitively answer some of these questions then.
I'm interested in knowing if the regen is the same/different between these.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm interested in knowing if the regen is the same/different between these.
If the question is whether regen is stronger with the Dual motor that's a yes, especially at lower speeds due to the front motor being an induction type which can regen right down to a stop. Furthermore you can boost it even further in the P3D model by putting it in Track mode, see Road & Track's test for details.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some very interesting points on differences with the Dual/base P3D compared to the RWD chassis in Ingineerix's latest video of the P3D chassis.
What's really curious is that he claims the springs part numbers are identical to the ones on his RWD. So it appears the lower springs may only come with the PUP/PUO (or whatever we're calling the upgrade this week), however the P3D has beefier sway bars.
I'm really surprised that the front springs remain the same on any of the Duals, I would have thought for sure they'd increase the rate to compensate for the added weight.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Some very interesting points on differences with the Dual/base P3D compared to the RWD chassis in Ingineerix's latest video of the P3D chassis.
What's really curious is that he claims the springs part numbers are identical to the ones on his RWD. So it appears the lower springs may only come with the PUP/PUO (or whatever we're calling the upgrade this week), however the P3D has beefier sway bars.
I'm really surprised that the front springs remain the same on any of the Duals, I would have thought for sure they'd increase the rate to compensate for the added weight.
@Mad Hungarian,

Agreed....this was my biggest ‘takeaway’ from his vid.

Ski