Dual Motor & Federal Tax Credit

TSLA_Model<3

Dual Motor current says: Mid 2018.
Do you think, we can take advantage of full federal tax credit ? ($7,500)

I am assuming that depends if Tesla can push off selling 200,000 vehicle in USA by selling to Canada.
Can anyone confirm that is what Tesla is planning to do?

I just got my email to configure Model 3. (3/31/2016 non-owner, online reservation) but would like to defer my order and wait for dual-motor if I am able to get it with full federal tax credit later in the year.

If anyone has any information on this, appreciate your comment.

thx

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Defer as long as you're willing to wait, thousands of us in the same boat, but nobody knows when AWD will be released besides Tesla. Most agree that until the demand for the RWD LR First Production dies down there no need to complicate production or offer any more options. Currently the configuration rate is 75%+

Tesla will LIKELY hit 200k this quarter so at earliest you'll have until September 30th to take delivery for the full $7500. If they push to Q3 you'll have until the end of the year.

You really need AWD for the 10 or less days we actually see snow here anyways? Proven that the 3 will handle light snow just fine and more so with true winter tires.

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So they say. Hopefully we'll start seeing some Canadian VINs to prove it. I don't believe any Canadians have one yet.
For what it's worth some Canadians received phone calls yesterday (myself included) and we were told "by the end of June". That may be tied to a push for the end of the quarter for exactly the reasons mentioned above, or it could be unrelated. We should know more in the next few weeks...

Veedio

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For what it's worth some Canadians received phone calls yesterday (myself included) and we were told "by the end of June". That may be tied to a push for the end of the quarter for exactly the reasons mentioned above, or it could be unrelated. We should know more in the next few weeks...
Yes, I noticed those postings. Doesn't sound like there have been any calls in Ontario which is a bit disconcerting given the election is getting close. Hopefully soon as Trevor alluded.

AdamHolmes

Country
Country
I considered delaying for the white interior but I'm pretty confident it would make me miss out on full tax credit. I think the same thing about AWD. I think tesla will hit 200k this quarter even if they try to push a lot to Canada . Plus we would be again be behind current owners and line standard when it is made available , most current owners I've spoken to are waiting on AWD

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm also waiting for AWD if I can get it with the full tax credit. With the last 3 invite groups all being for the US, I'm assuming Tesla is not trying to push off the 200K number until July. I know there is a slim chance of me getting AWD in Q3, especially since there is probably 10,000+ people ahead of me waiting for the same thing (I just got my invite yesterday). But, I also don't think there is any harm in waiting until July. I don't need a new car right now and another .25% bump in interest wont move my payment to much.

I figure if AWD drive is something that will happen in Q3 we will know by the NHTSA VIN registrations. If we see DM VINs in late June or early July, then I'll have some hope of getting the AWD before the end of September, but if not I'm fine with First Production. Since the current lead time from config to deliver is no longer then 60 days, I feel safe in ordering no later then the end of July and still being able to get my car in September.

Vendacious

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Currently the configuration rate is 75%+
I'm curious where you got that number. From what I've read the configuration rate is below 50% and Tesla has refused to provide any specifics. It seems like it's all speculation.

My own anecdotal evidence: I know 4 people with a total of 6 reservations between them, and so far only one of those reservations was turned into an order. Of the remaining 5 reservations, two will likely be cancelled (the two people who have two reservations will probably only buy one), two are waiting for AWD, and one is waiting for SR battery.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious where you got that number. From what I've read the configuration rate is below 50% and Tesla has refused to provide any specifics. It seems like it's all speculation.

My own anecdotal evidence: I know 4 people with a total of 6 reservations between them, and so far only one of those reservations was turned into an order. Of the remaining 5 reservations, two will likely be cancelled (the two people who have two reservations will probably only buy one), two are waiting for AWD, and one is waiting for SR battery.
Based on the 4,200-ish entries inputed and update on the official "Model 3 Spreadsheet" run by @Troy - Full thread and link here: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-invites-spreadsheet.6219/

It's slightly lower than 75% now, 72.7% config rate overall under the "Invite" tab.

Attachments

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It has seemed like the more recent rounds of invites have had a higher percentage of deferrals. The current round from 4/18 (at 2pm PST 4/19/18) has been hovering around 40%. I wonder if this is because the possibility of other options is getting closer, which makes it easier to wait for.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It has seemed like the more recent rounds of invites have had a higher percentage of deferrals. The current round from 4/18 (at 2pm PST 4/19/18) has been hovering around 40%. I wonder if this is because the possibility of other options is getting closer, which makes it easier to wait for.
I think this is expected as we go forward with first production Model 3's UNTIL lower options are available.... think about it.

I'm speaking in pretty general terms here, but if you consider the progression of invites and the majority in those groups it makes perfect sense.

First was employees and they are taking the car if they bothered to reserve, then previous owners who obviously have the money to take a loaded Model 3 so why not even if its to trade it in on a better one next year, then you have the line waiter/fanboys/big time Tesla fans, they are taking anything to be the first, but now you're getting into the masses who are going to be a bit more picky with options and possibly more budget conscious.

ibomark

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Dual Motor current says: Mid 2018.
Do you think, we can take advantage of full federal tax credit ? ($7,500)

I am assuming that depends if Tesla can push off selling 200,000 vehicle in USA by selling to Canada.
Can anyone confirm that is what Tesla is planning to do?

I just got my email to configure Model 3. (3/31/2016 non-owner, online reservation) but would like to defer my order and wait for dual-motor if I am able to get it with full federal tax credit later in the year.

If anyone has any information on this, appreciate your comment.

thx
I am in the same boat as you! Just got my config invite but I too am deferring my order. It's very challenging to wait but I too will try and track the rebate status via the forum. Thanks for the post. Mark. April 18, 2018 config date.