Dual Motor/Air Suspension Combo?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
OK all you automotive prognosticators out there, what's the over/under on Tesla offering Dual Motor and the Air Suspension as a package deal? If so...how much? If that was offered in the 5-7K range that would be a pretty sweet deal in my estimation. It would definitely tempt me to stretch the budget! LOL!

Dan

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm saying 70% chance it'll be offered as a package deal, and if so, my median expected price (based on Model S pricing, then some degree of discount for this being a cheaper car) is $5k.

Still hoping that a tow hitch comes with that package...

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I suspect no air suspension for Model 3 this year... perhaps in 2 years... if ever. It's a major differentiator between 3 and S/X
I'm not on Twitter but I thought someone had posted about SAS being packaged with AWD at one point. Come to think of it, perhaps that was packaged with the Performance model.

Dan

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So if this is all true, and I know it is speculation at this point, we could be seeing this all come to life in the next couple of months! Now all we need is a price (almost scared to ask).

Dan

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I suspect no air suspension for Model 3 this year... perhaps in 2 years... if ever. It's a major differentiator between 3 and S/X
Well, you could differentiate by having it standard on S/X and available for an upcharge on Model 3...

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Isn't this already true? I didn't think you could get any new S w/o dual motors and air suspension.. never looked at the X
That is correct. My point was nothing says SAS will not ever make it to Model 3, just that it is unlikely to be standard...

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
It's all about timing... I'm guessing NOT this year and knowing Tesla... I push it out for two years and pleasantly surprised if it arrives earlier.
You know T≡SLA better yet I could see it in 12-18 months if ramp up start executing per plan... :rainbow:

m3_4_wifey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder how people looking for dual motor also want ground clearance in snow/back roads vs. ride performance. I guess the SAS, it solves both cases making it a natural link.

Towing something with all 4 wheels and having a SAS to adjust for a large tongue weight seems to link that in nicely as well.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suspect that air suspension will be the only option on a dual motor. Reason being is on a RWD front suspension goes right down the middle of where a front drive shaft would go for the wheels (Check that one video posted where they took apart the front and are showing the suspension setup). They will need a different configuration for the front wheels in an AWD, and for ease of production, I could see air suspension being linked to dual motor in a way that you have to get air suspension with it because why build two systems to work with dual motor (coil/spring & air)? Just have one option, less "Production Hell".

Last edited:

Petra

Country
Country
As much as I'd like to go dual motor, since I'm waiting for the white interior anyway, bundling air suspension with the dual motor configuration would likely be a no-go. My wife and I both strongly dislike Tesla's air suspension.

Elon promised to keep the Model 3 a simple car. But he is not holding on to that promise.
Air suspension is nonsense. It literally doesn't make any sense on a vehicle with regular loading capacity.
Some say their driveway is weird. Well.. change the driveway. Or you want to change every vehicle
due to a rock at some random place? How about visitors?
Some say they like when vehicle raises on a speedbump. Why? Model 3 has standard clearance with good approach
and departure angles. AFAI expect, Model 3 suspension does not support raised or lowered ride height driving. Same with Model S/X.

On one hand, he tries to keep part number low. Skipping camera washing, headlight washing, rear wiper, adaptive headlights, HUD, sunroof shade, adjustable face-vent temperature, moisture sensor, heatpump - aka comfort-options.

But then again, he wants to add compressor, tank, pressure sensors, 4x height sensors, a lot of valves, with no apparent reason. And at the same time, keep fixed dampers (non-adjustable). Which is an industry-wide must-have on performance vehicles (exactly what AWD Model 3 is).