Dryer outlet charging outside

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've considering using the dryer outlet through a window one house level above the driveway for my charging needs but am concerned about constantly plugging and unplugging from the outlet (also about the length of any extension cord required). Is anyone familiar with any kind of splitter as the dryer will need to be used regularly? (My situation would be with a NEMA 10-30 outlet.) I recognize that charging the car and running the dryer simultaneously would be a bad idea.

I'm renting and the owners are afraid of adding electrical connections near the basement for fear of growing (think the controversial medicinal plant) operations.

Also, solutions for cables routed through windows would be appreciated. I'm renting so permanent modifications wouldn't work so great. Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Uricasha

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does the basement area have more than one 110 circuit? If so look into the Quick220 that combine two into a 220 (still just 15A, but now at 220).

Otherwise if your landlord is afraid of someone using an outlet for potential growing, and they trust that’s not you, maybe talk to them again and see how concerned they would be about replacing you as a renter with an electric car with someone new that they don’t know anything about. Maybe they will see that their fear of a future potential is unreasonable. Plus as a landlord, would they prefer a tenant permently has a cord hanging out a second floor window? If they see what the alternative choices are for you, possibly they will become more accommodating to allow the proper installation

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Otherwise if your landlord is afraid of someone using an outlet for potential growing, and they trust that’s not you, maybe talk to them again and see how concerned they would be about replacing you as a renter with an electric car with someone new that they don’t know anything about. Maybe they will see that their fear of a future potential is unreasonable. Plus as a landlord, would they prefer a tenant permently has a cord hanging out a second floor window? If they see what the alternative choices are for you, possibly they will become more accommodating to allow the proper installation
I agree that you should discuss this more with your landlord.

Perhaps he'd be less concerned about tenants growing Mary Jane if you install an outdoor outlet. It sounds like you don't have a garage, correct?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for all the tips and feedback.

I do not have a garage at my current house and the basement does not have any electrical outlets (it's unfinished with no floor) and the main breaker box is on the other side of the house (and outside).

I suppose it doesn't hurt to talk to the landlord again. Getting an estimate/feasibility opinion from an electrician might be helpful there.