Driving M3 with windows down

Country
Country
I was wondering if when Trevor and Kenneth did the test drive if they drove with the windows down? We know there's not currently a sunroof option so driving with the windows down is a nice way for some "fresh air". My real question is, how much noise is there driving with windows down? Some cars are horrible with the "booming" sound and some cars are designed so the wind passes the window without noise. What was your first impressions driving the M3 on this topic?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was wondering if when Trevor and Kenneth did the test drive if they drove with the windows down? We know there's not currently a sunroof option so driving with the windows down is a nice way for some "fresh air". My real question is, how much noise is there driving with windows down? Some cars are horrible with the "booming" sound and some cars are designed so the wind passes the window without noise. What was your first impressions driving the M3 on this topic?
Welcome to the forum!

In addition to Trev and Ken, there are a few early Model 3 owners here (@PTFI @RiggerJon @Maevra ) who might be able to share their impressions with you. They've also been answering a lot of miscellaneous questions over here in this thread.

BTW, I originally read your name as Nick Flamel... as in Nicholas Flamel. :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some cars are horrible with the "booming" sound and some cars are designed so the wind passes the window without noise.
Almost all modern cars make that "booming" resonant sound when only one window is open. This is because they're too aerodynamic. This is usually solved by opening a second window.

RiggerJon

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Nick - I haven’t really noticed any “booming” sounds with the windows down other than the sub. Because the sub is in the trunk and is essentially vented into the cabin through a grate behind the rear seats, the bass really comes alive with the front windows down. I’ve never heard factory sound that produces this much bass - not even close. I’m a total thug with the windows down... ;-)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I just tried driving with ONE window down with no music, here's what I observed:

0-30mph- no booming sound or noticeable pressure differential
30-45mph- pressure differential is starting to get noticeable inside cabin
45+mph- ah there's the booming sound. It's not as bad as in our Corolla, but is noticeable. Opening a back window gets rid of that as @garsh mentioned.

I usually drive with one front and one rear window down, or two front windows down when cruising around below 45mph and it's a joy in the 3. No exhaust smell, no engine noise... bliss. :cool:

Last edited:

RCvetter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the forum!

In addition to Trev and Ken, there are a few early Model 3 owners here (@PTFI @RiggerJon @Maevra ) who might be able to share their impressions with you. They've also been answering a lot of miscellaneous questions over here in this thread.

BTW, I originally read your name as Nick Flamel... as in Nicholas Flamel. :)
You missed one! ;)

One of our first days with the 3 back in September we put the windows down and blasted "Africa" by Toto on the way to Safeway. Can confirm no booming at low to moderate speeds.

We know there's not currently a sunroof option so driving with the windows down is a nice way for some "fresh air"
Not "fresh air", rather "unfiltered air" :)
Usually that ends up with lots of dust in the vehicle.

Getting fresh air is easy:
Verify that recirculation mode is forced off.
Switch off AC compressor.
Choose low temperature setting so heater is not used.
Spank up the fan speed from low to medium.
This is the same fresh air, though filtered :grin:

It's actually recommended to switch off AC and dry the condenser
to avoid smells (life happening inside wet HVAC) once in a while.
So next time do it more often. I hope Tesla add some software
tweak to do this automatically. All cars suffer that same problem.