Question Driver window screeeeech.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I have 2020 Model X with 500 miles on it. Mild Oregon climate. Garaged when not rolling. Last week the drivers window made a screeching noise as it descended into the door. So loud, it would knock an Oregon crow off of a cow pie.
Never a noise upward.
Happens 50% of the time I move it down.
No evidence of stress or marks on the glass.

Might anyone have any ideas or heard of this before? I am reluctant to drop it off at the S.C. just like dropping off a bmw or other nice car. Will do that only as a last resort. Thank you.
Randy

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mobile Service can almost certainly fix it, so you don't need to drop the car off. It's probably that one of the tracks for lowering the window lacks lubrication.

Reactions: 2 people

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have 2020 Model X with 500 miles on it. Mild Oregon climate. Garaged when not rolling. Last week the drivers window made a screeching noise as it descended into the door. So loud, it would knock an Oregon crow off of a cow pie.
Never a noise upward.

Might anyone have any ideas or heard of this before? I am reluctant to drop it off at the S.C. just like dropping off a bmw or other nice car. Will do that only as a last resort. Thank you.
Randy

Tesla needs to adjust your window travel. I've heard this many times. The glass has a very little clearance on either side ( about a half inch. If the glass is barely hitting the metal, as mine was....then either Tesla needs to adjust it....or you can adjust it yourself if you are handy enough.

This is what I had to do with my Model 3...….

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you, however mine squeals with the door open.

Either way....whenever that glass hits metal....you are going to get squealing.

Now....I'm not guaranteeing that glass barely hitting meta is indeed your issue, however I have seen that over and over in the Tesla's I work on.

I should go out and take my door panel off and make a video. hmmmm

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine started doing it at around 39k miles on the driver side, but isn't that loud or I would have already tried to fix it. I roll down my window every day to scan a badge for work and thought that maybe the weatherstrip on either side of the glass (attached to the door top) might be dirty. Rolling the window all the way down and wiping the strips that rub on both sides of the glass didn't help.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Tesla needs to adjust your window travel. I've heard this many times. The glass has a very little clearance on either side ( about a half inch. If the glass is barely hitting the metal, as mine was....then either Tesla needs to adjust it....or you can adjust it yourself if you are handy enough.

This is what I had to do with my Model 3...….

Garlan and Android 4
I spoke with local Tesla Service. They said the glass is quite thick for the slot that it resides in, and therefore, periodically squeaks against the rubber. He offered their fix is to add a wax to the edges and faces of the glass. I am surprised but find it believable.
I have some clear wax that I will apply in hopes this quiets it. Thank you for your time.
Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Screech update, update:
The driver’s windows continues to travel almost without noise, however, Three days ago, the passenger window made the same horrible nasty screech as my wife lowered it. I thought, “no worries, honey. I will give it some wax on, and all will be well. The next morning, during my examination of the situation, I was saddened to see a vertical2 inch scratch in that windows exterior surface. Oh no. I notified Tesla on the app and they are scheduled to come visit my car on Monday. I also called the Portland SC and the tech told me it was extremely likely that my use of the car caused a rock to somehow get inside and embed itself so securely that it caused the scratch.
This is my first time hoping the company takes this opportunity to stand behind its product, and maybe they will.
I am seeking contact from anyone who has experienced this unusual event. I am a careful owner of everything I have and if the company distances itself from this situation, the real cost to me will be disappointment. Thank you.

Last edited:

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
the tech told me it was extremely likely that my use of the car caused a rock to somehow get inside and embed itself so securely that it caused the scratch.
Your "use of the car"? What do you use the car for? Coal mining?

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I recently developed the screetching noise when rolling driver window down. I tried using soft candle wax on the top door seals that rub on both sides of the window, but that didn't work and kept leaving streaks of wax on the window. A few weeks later (today), I decided to try cleaning the door seals with alcohol and that fixed the noise. Here's how I did it. I rolled the driver's window down all the way, and got a clean rag. I soaked a corner of the rag with alcohol and stuck it with my finger between the two door seals that the window rubs in (closer to the sideview mirror). Then I slid my finger/rag along the seals all the way to the rear part of the door (the very rear part of the door will have a small piece of the glass still sticking up between the seals). I repeated a few times and the rag picked up a bunch of black residue. Then I tested rolling the window up and down. Quiet at last!

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Glad to hear your window mechanism is quiet!
Tesla Mobile came out the the other day and replaced my passenger door window. They said it was probably a rock. I believe it may have been a piece of steel shavings inside the door from a self tapping screw. I saw other shavings.
Nonetheless, they have been great to work with and with that level of service, I am comfortable with the ownership of this car.

Reactions: 1 person

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Glad to hear your window mechanism is quiet!
Tesla Mobile came out the the other day and replaced my passenger door window. They said it was probably a rock. I believe it may have been a piece of steel shavings inside the door from a self tapping screw. I saw other shavings.
Nonetheless, they have been great to work with and with that level of service, I am comfortable with the ownership of this car.
Well, I spoke too soon. The noise is back. I'll try cleaning the window seals again otherwise will let Tesla look at it. I'm guessing you'll be tinting your new window again? Glad they didn't blame the noise on the tint and not cover the replacement.

Randyman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I prefer my glass clear. No front door windows tint. Have you tried regular car wax on the glass? Coincidentally, I have been waxing my windscreens for many years. Keeps them clean longer

Shilliard528

Plaid Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Never a noise upward.

Randy
I have a 2020 X, similar but perhaps not as loud. Marks left on window but can be removed. I have not had anyone look at it.