Downloading firmware updates in NYC?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t find anything via search.

I am curious what New York City Tesla owners do about updates. With a large percentage of Manhattan garages being underground and away from cellular and WiFi not being an option, how are you getting software updates? I have been lucky up until recently to be able to get updates via cellular but the 2019 updates seem to require a WiFi connection (I am stuck at 2018.50.6). If updates aren’t going to be pushed via cellular anymore, I am curious what other New Yorkers do.

Thanks!

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, I use a mix of:

- cell phone hot-spot (fair warrning - recent updates easily pull 0.5-4GBs worth of data, especially if map updates come along for the ride)
- connecting to the NYC free wifi SSIDs LinkNYC towers: https://www.link.nyc/
- connecting to my brothers house wifi when I visit (strong enough from the street, symmetrical gigabit FIOS drop)

LTE only in the garage and no way to reach my own wifi at home.

Last edited:

sjg98

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
iPad hotspot with another iPad tethered to it streaming music to keep the connection live
Note that iOS hotspots go inactive within a few minutes if theres no bandwidth being consumed

Otherwise, between connecting your Tesla, exiting car and letting it sleep.. the connection will usually drop.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, I use a mix of:

- cell phone hot-spot (fair warrning - recent updates easily pull 0.5-4GBs worth of data, especially if map updates come along for the ride)
- connecting to the NYC free wifi SSIDs LinkNYC towers: https://www.link.nyc/
It’s the possible 4GB of data that is scaring me off of using my phone. I feel like I read somewhere about there being a very large (read: map) download earlier this year. Also in the past when I have tried to use my phone as a hotspot for updates it has never actually worked since there is no way to trigger the start of the downloading process. Does that seem to have improved?

The sidewalk LinkNYC is a good idea. Have you been able to log into them from the Tesla?

Thanks

<edited for typos>

Last edited:

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any luck with this? I can't get the maps unless I go wi-fi, and I have no access in the garage. Connecting to my phone works, but there's no way to request the software, I'd have to sit there until it comes? I might try to schedule a visit to the Red Hook service center.

sjg98

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey Steve from the Saturday meetup here..!
I found another solution accidentally, if you already have the Tesla store/service WiFi saved...

Having had a software update done last time my car was @ Red Hook, my car remembered the Tesla WiFi network.

As it turns out, the Meatpacking district store has the same WiFi network/credentials.
We were in the neighborhood this weekend and I left my car parked outside the store across the street for 2 hours coincidentally as there was an open spot there.
Walking the High Line I got the notification about a software update and realized my car had gotten itself onto WiFi!
Looks like I got maps too as the map version shows up now and was pretty recent..

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any luck with this? I can't get the maps unless I go wi-fi, and I have no access in the garage. Connecting to my phone works, but there's no way to request the software, I'd have to sit there until it comes? I might try to schedule a visit to the Red Hook service center.
I finally had to schedule a service appointment at Red Hook. Going in tomorrow. They said I am so far behind (2019.5.15) that it might take over 24hr to get the car fully updated. According to them, the further behind your car is, the more (by multiples) it has download to get updated.

Also, I did try using a phone as a hotspot for hours. Didn’t seem to help at all.

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I finally had to schedule a service appointment at Red Hook. Going in tomorrow. They said I am so far behind (2019.5.15) that it might take over 24hr to get the car fully updated. According to them, the further behind your car is, the more (by multiples) it has download to get updated.

Also, I did try using a phone as a hotspot for hours. Didn’t seem to help at all.
Hey let us know how it went, I just scheduled for June 3rd, the soonest available