Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Doug Demuro reviewed the model 3!

7K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  MichelT3 
#1 ·

#5 ·
YES!! Daddy Doug <3

Been a long time subscriber and surprised he got to the interview so quick. And I think I noticed some nods to the Model 3 Owners Club review with Trev and Ken in the quirks and features column ;)

The driving aspect of the review (along with his mass fan base) did it for me though. Expect (more) heavy demand for the Model 3

#9 ·
Reactions: Dr. J and garsh
#11 ·
Well. At first I thought it to be a stupid Tesla-hating article.
But it's actually a very thorough and good article, concentrating on the crux why Model 3 is (going to be) such a success; positive emotion.

Maybe not a coincidence: my father had a Morgen three-wheeler around 1950 and all his life regretted selling it for a Volkswagen Beetle.
I myself am going to sell all my cars except for one Citroën DS, for ever my epitome of car innovation and design.
Emotion truly is a crucial factor.

#12 ·
Well. At first I thought it to be a stupid Tesla-hating article.
But it's actually a very thorough and good article, concentrating on the crux why Model 3 is (going to be) such a success; positive emotion.

Maybe not a coincidence: my father had a Morgen three-wheeler around 1950 and all his life regretted selling it for a Volkswagen Beetle.
I myself am going to sell all my cars except for one Citroën DS, for ever my epitome of car innovation and design.
Emotion truly is a crucial factor.
I agree with most of the content of the article and I agree with you on how it is well written. But why did he have to attack Doug DeMuro in order to start an article which has nothing to do with the actual review that Doug did. I am guessing it is because the automotive press dislikes him because he is goofy and unconventional. Frankly that is why I love his reviews so much. Just look at my avatar I consider myself pretty goofy too. Personally I discount journalists that need to attack others to get people to read their stuff.

#17 ·
Ryan, from Ride the Lightning podcast, interviewed Alex Roy in episode 116 and it was a good segment. Alex Roy has a rough edge and uses his journalism platform like a folding chair in wrestling or cream pie in a slapstick movie (meaning he's not doing so maliciously), but he has a real love of the automotive mystique and is fully vested in the electric and autonomous future. As long as you take him with a grain of salt, he can be very entertaining (his Morgan 3-wheeler intro on YouTube is cool). You may get tired of "nobody cares," though.

#21 ·
Well, first of all, hello to you all since this is only my second post in this forum (here is my introduction), and I have a nagging question with regards to this video.

Starting at 17:49, he starts discussing the charge port situation from the screen and here is what he says:

"the screen is also yet another place where you can open the charge port, though it conflicts with the trunk: you can't open the charge port if the trunk is open".

Yet, not even a minute later in the video, we see that the trunk is closed, he opens the charge port and the screen allows to open the trunk...

So, what is what?

I am not amongst one of the chosen few who could witness a Model 3 in person, and the various shots in the video showing the charging port in action or the rear left of the car fail to answer that question for me: if the charge port is fully opened, can you still open the trunk?

#29 ·
To sum up, fge: expect a lot of bad information on the net. It's a rare car at present, and quite new. The less the person tends to pay attention to Teslas in general, and the Model 3 specifically, the more bad information you should expect from them. If you ever have any questions about something, by all means ask here because *cough* there actually are people with Model 3s here :) (thanks RCvetter!)

Also, it's important to remember that the vehicle is still not in "general sales"; it's only employee sales at this point. The software stack is still incomplete and receiving updates to activate various pieces of basic functionality (when the cars first started going out they didn't even have radio support!). So keep that in mind whenever you hear a "The car can't do X" statement.

#32 ·
Thank you @RCvetter and @Maevra.

I am a member of the same french forum as @fge and after seeing Doug's video our fear was that there is a mechanical interactoon between the charge port and the trunk opening.

According to Doug's video, one could think tbat it is impossible to open the chargeport when the trunk is open or, worse, that it is impossible to open the trunk once the car is plugged in.

This would be very annoying at a supercharger, where you usualy first plug the car in and then open the trunk to get your jacket or your sandwich or whatever you need during your stop.

Just to double check and be sure, can you owners confirm that the trunk indeed opens and closes when the charge port is open ?
See above - we can confirm.

#31 ·

I am a member of the same french forum as @fge and after seeing Doug's video our fear was that there is a mechanical interactoon between the charge port and the trunk opening.

According to Doug's video, one could think tbat it is impossible to open the chargeport when the trunk is open or, worse, that it is impossible to open the trunk once the car is plugged in.

This would be very annoying at a supercharger, where you usualy first plug the car in and then open the trunk to get your jacket or your sandwich or whatever you need during your stop.

Just to double check and be sure, can you owners confirm that the trunk indeed opens and closes when the charge port is open ?

#34 ·

Exactement. Ne vous inquietez pas. On a les preuves que c'est pas un problem (pardon my French, it's been a while). :)

Attachments

#36 ·
Nous voilà soulagés.

Some already talked about canceling their reservation...

That would have been an ununderstandable design flaw.
Cancelling a reservation based on claims made in a random review from someone just fiddling around with a vehicle that has an incomplete software stack would be a pretty stupid thing to do, no?

#40 ·
I never ever expected that intelligent people would spend so many superfluous words on the obvious possibility of backside entry...
or other software.

Reactions: Michael Russo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.