Door Panel Gap

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Below is a copy of my Tesla Service Invoice which included attention to the following:
1) Tail light not flush (needs body shop work to repair)
2) Driver's side door gap (needs body shop work to repair)
3) Charge port not flush (supposedly within specs)
4) A-pillar bowing (supposedly within specs)
5) C-pillar bowing (supposedly within specs)

scope-of-work-1-png.8426
scope-of-work-2-png.8427

Picture of the driver's side panel gap (which doesn't look bad at all in this photo):
driver-side-jpg.8428

Picture of the passenger side door (much better than the other side; nothing to see here, all good):
passenger-side-jpg.8429

Close up of the door gap (looking a bit more significant here):
driver-side-door-1-jpg.8430

Another close up from a different angle (this is no good):
driver-side-door-2-jpg.8431

Another shot from a bit further back (you can see how it gets wider from bottom to top):
driver-side-door-3-jpg.8432

This photo shows the charge port door which I think should be replaced:
charging-port-1-jpg.8433

Yet another angle of the charge port not sitting flush (is this just the way it is?):
charging-port-2-jpg.8434

My question is if I should take the car to the body shop to see about closing the gap, and fixing the tail light (which I didn't show a pic of, but it's not too bad), or if I may be doing more harm than good by leaving it for 2 to 3 days with a "certified body shop".

And should I press them on the charge port door? Possibly take my car to a different service center for a second opinion?

Anyone that has similar issues I would love to hear your thoughts. Even if you don't have the same/similar issues what are your thoughts on taking the car to the body shop? I was discussing with @SoFlaModel3 I was going to sit on it for a bit but I want some other opinions from my fellow Tesla owners (especially those that have a Model 3 in their possession already). Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would take it to the body shop. Normally I’m not as picky as most when it comes to panel gaps but your door gap definitely seems worth fixing. Better to fix it now then regret it later. Plus, I don’t think they’ll make it any worse so all you lose is a few days.

Not sure about the charge port door though. I’ve seen a bunch of other pictures that all look the same, even some of the “after fix” pictures. I don’t think that one is worth fighting over.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would take it to the body shop. Normally I’m not as picky as most when it comes to panel gaps but your door gap definitely seems worth fixing. Better to fix it now then regret it later. Plus, I don’t think they’ll make it any worse so all you lose is a few days.

Not sure about the charge port door though. I’ve seen a bunch of other pictures that all look the same, even some of the “after fix” pictures. I don’t think that one is worth fighting over.
Funny I have the opposite opinion, I’d fix the charge port door and leave the doors themselves alone. The doors look very reasonable to me. My charge port door doesn’t stick out like that. The only word of caution is that during my charge port door replacement they scratched the paint.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny I have the opposite opinion, I’d fix the charge port door and leave the doors themselves alone. The doors look very reasonable to me.
Oh, no. The hinge-side of his front door is actually sticking out farther than the front fender. It looks terrible. The one photo is a pretty good angle for showing it. I think a photo from directly above that gap looking straight down might show it as well, if @Lightning wouldn't mind taking another photo.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, no. The hinge-side of his front door is actually sticking out farther than the front fender. It looks terrible. The one photo is a pretty good angle for showing it. I think a photo from directly above that gap looking straight down might show it as well, if @Lightning wouldn't mind taking another photo.

You’re right! I didn’t see it on first glance. I just thought the separation was a pinch wide, but didn’t realize the door actually sticks out.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The hinge-side of his front door is actually sticking out farther than the front fender.
I thought the same thing that @garsh did but on a second viewing I'm no longer sure. For the record my vote (If I have a vote) would be to fix it if the panels aren't flush (i.e. the door is sticking out) and not if they are flush (i.e. it's just a wide gap).

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Guys, this is the help I was looking for. Thanks so much, and keep the comments coming.

@garsh I will definitely take another photo looking down later today when I get my car back (it's currently getting window tint and front paint protection). I have no problem leaving it with the body shop for a few days (especially with another Tesla loaner). Again, the only reason I didn't want to leave it with a body shop was the fear of making things worse. I'm just unclear what the process is in getting the gap to close a bit... fear of the unknown really.

Seems like I might want to take the plunge though and send it in to see what can be done at the body shop.

And yah, @Maxx77, I was planning on pushing for the charge port to get fixed. I just don't think it looks right, or is right. They claimed it was "within specs" but if so, it's just barely, and Tesla should definitely think about changing their specs.

The pics below are the best I currently have showing a side view. I'm not certain, and will check later, but I believe the door is flush with the fender (just has the unsightly gap if you're close to the car, and if you're actually actively looking for it). It just wasn't something I noticed when I picked up the car from the delivery center. It also wasn't something I would have refused delivery over.

front-drivers-door-jpg.8445

side-angle-jpg.8444

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Guys, this is the help I was looking for. Thanks so much, and keep the comments coming.

@garsh I will definitely take another photo looking down later today when I get my car back (it's currently getting window tint and front paint protection). I have no problem leaving it with the body shop for a few days (especially with another Tesla loaner). Again, the only reason I didn't want to leave it with a body shop was the fear of making things worse. I'm just unclear what the process is in getting the gap to close a bit... fear of the unknown really.

Seems like I might want to take the plunge though and send it in to see what can be done at the body shop.

And yah, @Maxx77, I was planning on pushing for the charge port to get fixed. I just don't think it looks right, or is right. They claimed it was "within specs" but if so, it's just barely, and Tesla should definitely think about changing their specs.

The pics below are the best I currently have showing a side view. I'm not certain, and will check later, but I believe the door is flush with the fender (just has the unsightly gap if you're close to the car, and if you're actually actively looking for it). It just wasn't something I noticed when I picked up the car from the delivery center. It also wasn't something I would have refused delivery over.

View attachment 8445

View attachment 8444
I don't see the door jutting out, but the chrome trim seems to be off where the front door meets the rear door.

Maxx77

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't see the door jutting out, but the chrome trim seems to be off where the front door meets the rear door.
The chrome trim not matching between the front and rear doors seems to be an issue on every Tesla unfortunately. Mine are off, but not too much. I'm driving a loaner 2018 Model S 100D right now, and the trim on it is even more askew than on my Model 3. For a car that costs exactly double what my Model 3 cost, you'd think stuff like that wouldn't happen. That said, if that were my car I'd point it out and ask if they can fix it. There are adjustments that can be made to door panels without doing major body work.

Concerning the charge port door, the idea is that it sits flush with the rest of the car so that it's not obvious that it's a door at all. The one on yours, @Lightning, may have something stuck inside the mechanism that's causing it to not go down all the way. Whatever the reason, I wouldn't accept "within spec" on that. I've found that when they say something is within spec, it's kind of their code word for "not worth our time/money to correct". Not to throw shade at the service center people though, mine are actually very pleasant and understanding of the minor issues I've had on my car.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The chrome trim not matching between the front and rear doors seems to be an issue on every Tesla unfortunately. Mine are off, but not too much. I'm driving a loaner 2018 Model S 100D right now, and the trim on it is even more askew than on my Model 3. For a car that costs exactly double what my Model 3 cost, you'd think stuff like that wouldn't happen. That said, if that were my car I'd point it out and ask if they can fix it. There are adjustments that can be made to door panels without doing major body work.

Concerning the charge port door, the idea is that it sits flush with the rest of the car so that it's not obvious that it's a door at all. The one on yours, @Lightning, may have something stuck inside the mechanism that's causing it to not go down all the way. Whatever the reason, I wouldn't accept "within spec" on that. I've found that when they say something is within spec, it's kind of their code word for "not worth our time/money to correct". Not to throw shade at the service center people though, mine are actually very pleasant and understanding of the minor issues I've had on my car.
My chrome trim lines up on my Model 3 and loaner Model S. I’ve seen some really wonky X’s though and it’s easy to spot with the door handles not lining up.

Country
Country

I had the same issue with the chrome trim being off between the rear door and the quarter glass (see pic). I got very lucky while at the service center and happened to speak with a technician that used to work on the production line. Apparently it's very easy to adjust the height and depth that the door locks in by tweaking the latch part (see 2nd pic). You just move it like a couple mm in/out or up/down. I would think that if you had a tool you could easily do this on your own. He said that usually when these are "within spec" they won't do anything about it but being a nice guy, he took literally 3 min to adjusted both rear doors and they look much better now (see 3rd pic).

Hope this helps those that can't get theirs fixed through the service center.
img-1501-1-jpg.8516
img-1520-jpg.8517
img-1519-jpg.8518

Maxx77

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same issue with the chrome trim being off between the rear door and the quarter glass (see pic). I got very lucky while at the service center and happened to speak with a technician that used to work on the production line. Apparently it's very easy to adjust the height and depth that the door locks in by tweaking the latch part (see 2nd pic). You just move it like a couple mm in/out or up/down. I would think that if you had a tool you could easily do this on your own. He said that usually when these are "within spec" they won't do anything about it but being a nice guy, he took literally 3 min to adjusted both rear doors and they look much better now (see 3rd pic).

Hope this helps those that can't get theirs fixed through the service center. View attachment 8516 View attachment 8517 View attachment 8518
If it's just that one part to adjust then that's even easier to fix than I knew.

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Hope this helps those that can't get theirs fixed through the service center. View attachment 8516 View attachment 8517 View attachment 8518
@oats Wow! That seems like a super easy fix. I wonder if a little tweak like that might make my door misalignment work itself out a bit. I'm quite lukewarm about bringing it to the body shop. I'll see about having this tweaked at the SC first and see if that does anything. I still don't have my car back from tint and paint protection (tomorrow) but have some decisions to make. I've never been so wishy-washy about anything. Ugh...panel gaps!! Haha. First world problems.

@SoFlaModel3 thanks for the pics. Mine does look a bit worse, but it's only that one angle that looks egregious. Hope all will be over soon and I can just enjoy this baby!! It's so much damn fun!!

Archaebald

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'd say that none of your panel gaps look "within specs" for any car of decent build quality. The gap of the charge port door is "off the chart" in my view, and I cannot digest that they thought it was even close to being acceptable. I hope you insist on getting your panel gaps fixed, and that Tesla starts paying attention to this seemingly common issue. Despite the emotional rollercoaster associated with the wait, I see the benefits of not taking delivery until spring 2019 (i.e., 3 years after reservation). Thanks for being attentive and paving the way for all of us (un)fortunate who have not taken delivery yet!

Last edited:

Lightning

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ended up getting another SC to look at the minor issues I had and they said they needed it for 2 to 3 days and could do it "in house" (would not need to send it out to a body shop). I actually feel much more comfortable with that as it seems it may just be a case of "tweaking" a few things here and there to make it right without any major work.

@garsh here's that pic from straight above, along with a few others. The door and fender are actually fairly flush but you can see why the gap is happening (looks like the fender part is pushing in a bit too much). The pics really do make the issue look worse than it is. It was deemed an issue from the original SC I sent it to, so it doesn't seem like I'm being crazy, or too OCD.

straight-down-shot-jpg.8657

side-angle-jpg.8658

straight-on-gap-2-jpg.8659

straight-on-gap-jpg.8660

tinted-1-jpg.8661