Door handle sticking/slow close

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe a number of owners have reported this issue, though I don't see any threads on this particular topic, so I'm starting this one, so we can compare notes.

I took delivery at the end of May and in the 4 months since then, I've had the rear passenger side door handle occasionally "stick" for a moment after being pulled and then close slowly, noticeably different than the other handles. This happened only a few times in the first month or so.

In the last week however, this has started happening again and in addition to it closing slowly, it occasionally sticks open for a few seconds before closing (sometimes normally, sometimes slowly). I've noticed that if I gently touch the handle, it's enough to get it to close on its own, so the mechanism is clearly still working fine - it's just not moving smoothly.

Has anyone here experienced this? Did you address it yourself (lithium grease/lubricant)? Did you take it to your SC and, if so, how did they address it? Since this only began reoccurring in the last few days, I've not bothered yet to take a really close look. However, I have heard of solutions ranging from easy DIY, to the SC taking the door panel off and shaving a part in the handle assembly down, so I'm interested to discover other's experiences with this particular issue.

Azthrillhouse

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe a number of owners have reported this issue, though I don't see any threads on this particular topic, so I'm starting this one, so we can compare notes.

I took delivery at the end of May and in the 4 months since then, I've had the rear passenger side door handle occasionally "stick" for a moment after being pulled and then close slowly, noticeably different than the other handles. This happened only a few times in the first month or so.

In the last week however, this has started happening again and in addition to it closing slowly, it occasionally sticks open for a few seconds before closing (sometimes normally, sometimes slowly). I've noticed that if I gently touch the handle, it's enough to get it to close on its own, so the mechanism is clearly still working fine - it's just not moving smoothly.

Has anyone here experienced this? Did you address it yourself (lithium grease/lubricant)? Did you take it to your SC and, if so, how did they address it? Since this only began reoccurring in the last few days, I've not bothered yet to take a really close look. However, I have heard of solutions ranging from easy DIY, to the SC taking the door panel off and shaving a part in the handle assembly down, so I'm interested to discover other's experiences with this particular issue.
I had this on my driver door and it manifested as the door refusing to latch shut when I got in, apparently because the handle was still in the “open” position due to this slow roll.

Tesla mobile service came out and shaved/sanded a piece of plastic in the door handle mechanism without removing the door (afaik, it only took 10 minutes). Problem solved, though it seems like a bit of a hack and I wonder if it will recur in the future, but it’s been fine for the 6 weeks or so since he applied the fix.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had this on my driver door and it manifested as the door refusing to latch shut when I got in, apparently because the handle was still in the “open” position due to this slow roll.

Tesla mobile service came out and shaved/sanded a piece of plastic in the door handle mechanism without removing the door (afaik, it only took 10 minutes). Problem solved, though it seems like a bit of a hack and I wonder if it will recur in the future, but it’s been fine for the 6 weeks or so since he applied the fix.
That makes me dubious about whether something like a lubricant grease (lithium) would work quite as well if the surfaces sticking were plastic. Maybe something like spray silicone might work better, in that case.

In my case, I can hear the lock actuator fire every time, so that's not an issue, it's just the handle returning back to the closed position "normally", at least compared to the other doors. In that sense, for me, it's a very minor issue as it's a nuisance, at best, right now.

Had you happened to try anything yourself before taking it in for service? Did the repair they did require them to take the door apart? I'd also heard of a door handle repair from someone else where they didn't shave anything, but "adjusted a spacer" to prevent the rubbing from occurring.

I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but I'm hesitant to volunteer to have the door taken apart unless the problem is really serious, which in my case it's not....yet *knock on wood*

Azthrillhouse

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That makes me dubious about whether something like a lubricant grease (lithium) would work quite as well if the surfaces sticking were plastic. Maybe something like spray silicone might work better, in that case.

In my case, I can hear the lock actuator fire every time, so that's not an issue, it's just the handle returning back to the closed position "normally", at least compared to the other doors. In that sense, for me, it's a very minor issue as it's a nuisance, at best, right now.

Had you happened to try anything yourself before taking it in for service? Did the repair they did require them to take the door apart? I'd also heard of a door handle repair from someone else where they didn't shave anything, but "adjusted a spacer" to prevent the rubbing from occurring.

I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but I'm hesitant to volunteer to have the door taken apart unless the problem is really serious, which in my case it's not....yet *knock on wood*
He told me he took a little bit of sandpaper through the exterior gaps and it literally was 10 minutes from the time he arrived to the time he left - if there was any disassembly he had to have been Dr. Octopus. Sounds closer to the “adjusting the spacer” from the other owner.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had it happen to the driver side door just as I was dropping my car off at a service center for other stuff.

They took care of it but I can’t remember what they said they did (I think they lubed it) and I’m still waiting for the detailed invoice because of a refund they owe me (keeping invoice open until the refund is applied for some reason). If I get the details, I’ll post them.

It happened at around 7k and I’m about 2k from doubling that with no additional issues. Generally, that door gets the most use.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Passenger rear door for me. Tesla Mobile Service drove out to my work, took apart my door and replaced some part of the mechanism. He said the spring that retracts the door handle can get misaligned.

Theo22

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Driver's side door handle on my model 3 was fine when I bought it 6 months ago. It has gradually been getting stickier. I didn't realize at first the door handle was stuck open because I was inside the car wondering why the door would not latch. I had to open and close the door a few times to get it to latch. At least now I can push the handle flush with the door and it latches fine.
Addendum: I spritzed a little silicone garage door lube into the handle and for now it seems to be working fine.

Last edited:

bradkeller

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same problem. I took the car to the service center and they fixed it. I had the leave the car there overnight, because they had to order a part, but they gave me a loaner and fixed it free of charge.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I started having this problem a few months ago with my two front doors as the weather got colder. Sometimes the door would not latch after being closed, and eventually I realized it was because of this. It's become more noticeable with the front passenger side door, to the point where the handle would sometimes stay stuck out when you let go. A little nudge is enough to get it to retract back into the door, but it's still annoying.

A mobile service technician is with me right now to fix this issue. He said it needs lubrication, and he has taken the door apart, saying it's necessary to get to the door handle and lubricate it. Apparently he has seen this same issue with a few other cars and this fixed it for them.