Door handle and ice

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
wp_20180417_001-jpg.7495
Any of you experienced an ice storm with your model 3 yet?

I think we got at least 5 storms this winter and it seems the trend is going up. The icing is also often followed by a cold wave which doesn't help.
What are the options other than heating the interior until it melts or a blow torch?

I still have something to grab on my other cars but my future car might complicate my life...

Any real life experience out there?

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the video,

That's not what I meant by ice, I meant 1/8 of the shiny type ice...
A hair dryer, that's going to be handy at work.

Seriously, my TT has the window lowering process to open the door, works nice in the summer. As soon as any frozen precipitation ices up on the seal and it's scraping time.
Maybe with the powerful heater for the interior full blast for a while the handle would free up. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not sure that the form follows function has been followed in this case:(

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Maybe with the powerful heater for the interior full blast for a while the handle would free up. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
That is my assumption.

If the car is covered in ice, pre warm it for 20 minutes before you go to open it up.

DR61

Country
Country
No experience with Teslas, but I have had door handles freeze on every make of car I have owned, including Volvos. I use hot water if available and not too cold. A spray can of windshield de-icer is also very effective (essentially water-isopropyl alcohol solution).

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We had one of those 1/10" thick thin sheet of ice on the car ice storms here in Colorado back a month or so ago, and yeah, you are right to be concerned. Even after 10-15 minutes of defrosting the car - which cleared the ice on the roof and front and read windows - the handle was stuck, but I was only able to push it open with a bit of effort. When I got home the charge door was totally frozen shut and I just left it alone in the garage which was a bit above freezing and went in the house and came out an hour or two later and everything was fine. If there was any good news out of this, it was that the car drove surprisingly well on the roads which were pretty slick. I was slow and careful and cautious but I got home without incidents using the stock Primacy MXM tires while I saw lots of other cars which had slid off the road. It's not like it amazing - it slid and I drove slowly and took turns extra super slowly - but it was better than I would have suspected.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Weight helps for sure, I would have been surprised of the opposite. Suspension geometry and traction control is surely a quality of these cars.
Here I am talking without even seeing one in person yet!:rolleyes:

Seriously, I see a 1/4 of ice at least once a year, ok, the handles are flush but still, they'll be buried under at least 1/8" of ice.
Unfortunately, I think the garage will be the best option. I say unfortunately because with all the abrasive they pour over here in the winter, the best option is to leave it in the cold. Otherwise wash it once warmed inside but then again humidity is a concern.

Solution... move to California. ..:p

nfarina

Country
Country
We had a brief overnight cold snap here (Portland) that didn’t seem like a big deal, but froze our 3 shut completely. The door handles weren’t an issue - just pushed them harder and they broke free.

The trickier thing was the windows. Even after preheating for 30 minutes they wouldn’t budge. Turns out it’s not a problem when opening the door; the window just slides under the trim - but closing the door must be done very carefully. I scratched the trim twice trying to close the rear doors (was in a hurry trying to get kids to school). Later I figured out you need to push the window towards the car and “tuck” it under the trim as you close the door from the outside. Not the best solution! But we’ll know for next time.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We had a brief overnight cold snap here (Portland) that didn’t seem like a big deal, but froze our 3 shut completely. The door handles weren’t an issue - just pushed them harder and they broke free.

The tricker thing was the windows. Even after preheating for 30 mins they wouldn’t budge. Turns out it’s not a problem when opening the door, the window just slides under the trim - but closing the door must be done very carefully. I scratched the trim twice trying to close the rear doors (was in a hurry trying to get kids to school). Later I figured out you need to push the window towards the car and “tuck” it under the trim as you close the door from the outside. Not the best situation! But we’ll know for next time.
I'm going to assume you are in Portland Maine, because the low overnight in the other Portland was 36F and clear skies

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My TT does the same thing from time to time. Now if close it a few times without defrosting the windows it won't do that up-down thing anymore (once melted) and I need to reset the window for it to operate normally.
So even Audi have their issues, but I was always able to get in though.