Door alignment

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
One of the back doors on my car was just slightly misaligned. Wasn't a huge deal, but from a certain angle it looks like it was still slightly open.

Mobile service tech was out for a couple of trim pieces and I asked him about it, he was able to fix it in about 3 minutes by adjusting the strike plate on the car frame (where the door latches to). Really easy fix, just 2 star screws, slide the thing a little, and re-tighten. Looks perfect now.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the exact same issue, the Tesla Service Center said that the car will have to be sent to a body shop. They could have tried adjusting the striker. I called the Tesla Mobile Service and gave a reference of this thread and they agreed to send someone next week. I will keep everyone posted. Also my car is a P3D, I was hoping that this would have been caught before delivery and fixed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the exact same issue, TSC couldn't fix it, said that the car needs to be sent to a body shop. I called the Tesla Mobile Service and I had to cite this thread and had to persuade them to come and fix this car in 5 mins vs having me leave the car at the TSC. The appointment is next week, I will keep everyone posted.

Country
Country
I have the exact same issue, TSC couldn't fix it, said that the car needs to be sent to a body shop. I called the Tesla Mobile Service and I had to cite this thread and had to persuade them to come and fix this car in 5 mins vs having me leave the car at the TSC. The appointment is next week, I will keep everyone posted.
Hope it's the same issue, and that this thread helped. Let us know.

kevincupp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice work!

I've been noticing my drivers side door is a little clunky to close. Upon inspection, it looks like the door striker is just a hair too low and is rubbing on the guide plate before it hits the latch, making some extra friction and noise. I came here to see if the striker was adjustable, and it looks like it is, so thanks!

I just need to find the right size star screw tool, do you happen to know what size you used?

Hopefully I can change it so that it doesn't actually change my door alignment much, because I think that looks fine.

kevincupp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, not sure. Mobile service tech did it, not me. I just looked, but the biggest torx that I have is a T40, and it's bigger than that, so not sure.
D'oh, you're right, I missed that. I might see what I can find then and report back, I'm hours away from any Tesla service center and it seems like such a small thing to do.

kevincupp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For posterity, it's a T45. I was able to adjust the plate to allow the door to close smoothly, but it may have changed the door alignment by 1-2mm. Maybe that's why it was like this to begin with, but I think I'd rather live with that than feeling like I'm grinding down metal every time I close my door.

I just picked up my Model 3 last week Thursday and I am loving it. I just have one thing that I am wondering if I am being too picky on. The rear door on the drivers side looks misaligned. Not by much, but it definitely is off slightly. I tried to get it in a photo. The other side is better aligned but not perfect. Am I being too picky? Is this how they all are?

Thanks for any input!
- Dan

Attachments

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For posterity, it's a T45. I was able to adjust the plate to allow the door to close smoothly, but it may have changed the door alignment by 1-2mm. Maybe that's why it was like this to begin with, but I think I'd rather live with that than feeling like I'm grinding down metal every time I close my door.
Yeah, my driver's door was hitting the strike plate too high or low and causing the door to feel like it was hitting something solid before closing. The SC adjusted it and it closes as it should now.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same issue with my doors. M3 I picked up on 9/15/18 at Brooklyn location. I have to lift door with my both hands to close it smoothly. Ithere is a grinding sound when I am closing doors. I have scheduled onsite technician to fix it. I think adjusting t45 screw will not help much because it will just lower down the door and I will have a gap. Have anyone adjusted hinges at Model 3? is this adjustable?

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same issue with my doors. M3 I picked up on 9/15/18 at Brooklyn location. I have to lift door with my both hands to close it smoothly. Ithere is a grinding sound when I am closing doors. I have scheduled onsite technician to fix it. I think adjusting t45 screw will not help much because it will just lower down the door and I will have a gap. Have anyone adjusted hinges at Model 3? is this adjustable?
I had this issue, and lowering the strike plate didn't negatively affect the alignment at all, but did fix the rubbing issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you plankeye! Did you do it yourself or tesla repair center fix it? It shouldn't be a complex repair.

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you plankeye! Did you do it yourself or tesla repair center fix it? It shouldn't be a complex repair.
I let the SC handle it. I didn't really know exactly what the issue was, so didn't want to mess anything up more. But it looks great and closes nicely now.

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed my rear driver door is misaligned. Looks like it may be an easy fix by adjusting the strike plate. I hope so. I'll keep this thread posted with what happens.
Alignment issues need to be fixed by adjusting the door hinge mounts, not the strike plate. Any misalignment of the latch to the strike plate will cause rubbing/knocking and will wear out the latch or the strike bar unnecessarily.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you plankeye,
i took some pics today. The dis-alignment is 3.8 millimeters before i close a door vs. closed door (see attached pictures). When door is manually raised by hands or hardly slammed then it sits low but acceptable. I agree that latch is sitting more/less fine but hinges needs to be adjusted.
it's difficult to believe that Tesla quality control have not noticed this issue. I will keep you updated once Brooklyn Tesla SC resolves this issue. In meanwhile I have to raise doors by two hands to close it. Other than that, I love my M3.

Attachments

Last edited:

BillB_NH

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed my rear driver door is misaligned. Looks like it may be an easy fix by adjusting the strike plate. I hope so. I'll keep this thread posted with what happens.
Same door, same issue for me. I decided not to do a long drive to my service center just for that. Maybe future. You?

Birdman

Country
Country
Had the exact same issue with my passenger front door. Car was delivered that way. Tesla service wouldn't fix it and told me it is not simply adjusting the latch but it is an adjustment of the door hinge. They sent me to their Tesla approved body shop. Agreed that it was an issue (when you close the door fast, it gave a "clunk" sound different than the other doors and when you closed it just a little you could see how it needed to "lift" just slightly to close properly) - Took it to the back, adjusted the door hinge (so they said) and brought it back out. Took about 15 minutes.

Same door, same issue for me. I decided not to do a long drive to my service center just for that. Maybe future. You?
I had mobile service come out and look at it, he didn't think it was bad. He did admit it was slightly out of alignment, but he convinced me it was normal. I then went and looked at other Model 3s and they had the same issue. But what made me feel better was I looked at my brother's 2018 Explorer for which he paid more than I did for my Tesla, and his hood was misaligned far worse than my issue. I then started looking at other non-Tesla cars and saw similar misalignments. For me, all the press about this had set unrealistic expectations. I don't even think about the issue anymore. :)