Donut spare tire kit?

J

Good find! If that particular donut wheel doesn’t quite clear the rear performance upgrade caliper, you may consider a spacer and get lucky as that did the trick for one of my S donut spare tire kits. I am not fortunate enough to own a cool max effort PD. I am just a long ranger with an incoming (Wednesday, YAAY:)) MPP 365 mm front brake kit that I will test fit my Genesis donut wheel and report back. Not that it matters for this wheel-to-caliper clearance part of the conversation within this thread, but I have changed over to a 145/80-18 donut spare tire to more closely match my unusual staggard 19 combo that is not being deployed by others.

Btw, if you are as obsessed as I am in always being prepared for whatever bad things may happen on the road or at a dark supercharger station in the middle of the night and if your incoming 18 kit doesn’t fit, you may consider deploying a 135/70-19 (~26.4” kumho) wheel/tire donut kit.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob M

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello, this might help everyone. I bought this spare on Amazon and so far I don't have any regrets.
Aside from the fact that it looks too good to be a spare, it also clears large brake systems like the 6 piston Brembo.
It's a bit costly but for me, it's fine, money won't be an issue in exchange for comfort. I managed to buy a Tesla then why not a very essential spare tire? I have this for 3 months now and so far the only issue that I have is that it doesn't fit the frunk because the frunk is too small.

You may check their website here: :
https://modernspare.com/search-page/?make=8&model=23&syear=204&cfm=Tesla&cfmo=Model 3&cfy=2018

Or buy it on Amazon:
https://amzn.to/2oRUKBv - Spare tire kit no carrying case
https://amzn.to/2QhYAjZ - Spare tire kit with carrying case

Last edited:

jsmay311

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Hello, this might help everyone. I bought this spare on Amazon and so far I don't have any regrets.
Aside from the fact that it looks too good to be a spare, it also clears large brake systems like the 6 piston Brembo.
It's a bit costly but for me, it's fine, money won't be an issue in exchange for comfort. I managed to buy a Tesla then why not a very essential spare tire? I have this for 3 months now and so far the only issue that I have is that it doesn't fit the frunk because the frunk is too small.

You may check it here:
Amazon product Amazon product

That Amazon link/image didn't show up for me on either my iPhone or Chromebook. So for others' convenience I copied it HERE. (Spoiler: it's just the same kit as sold by ModernSpare, but via Amazon and $20 more expensive.)

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Still following this thread, so far the only commercial alternative seems to be the somewhat price Modernspare kit.
While I would love to see a review from someone who has tried installing it, what I would really like to see is identity and sizing of a cheap steel wheel and tire we can purchase much cheaper from a tire place.

Or better yet, one of those fold-in tires that pop out when you inflate them that was shown earlier...

Reactions: Kizzy

Rob M

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just visit modernspare.com guys the spare is there and its $40 cheaper than amazon

Jditom

Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got the spare tire kit from Modern Spare and I must say it is very nice.
Black Al wheel with lugs, jack, jack wrench and extendable lug wrench to take off 129lbs lugs.
They fit the red performance calipers by 1mm. Look great and a great price. Shipped very fast.
I am impressed
IMG_3437.jpg
IMG_3436.JPG
IMG_3434.jpg
IMG_3431.JPG

Reactions: 1 person

Jditom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Some close ups of the calipers. Rears are close and fronts have lots of room. So these are just rear pics.

IMG_3424.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG
IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG

Jditom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have not heard of calipers expanding under heat?
But since its a spare I would not be breaking hard with it on. I would set regeneration to max to decrease braking.
And worst case you could put the spare on the front and move the good front tire to the rear.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's way too close for comfort if you ask me.
Agreed. Even if you plan to take it easy with the spare to avoid heat expansion issues, all it would take is hitting one bad pothole to deflect the wheel enough to smack into the caliper.

If you're happy to move a front wheel to the rear, and only ever place a spare on the front, then I agree that this should work.

Reactions: 1 person

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for sharing @Jditom
It doesn't seem like the modern spare offers much weight or size advantage over just taking an extra 18" aero wheel though. Certainly not for the price.

Reactions: garsh

Jditom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree with taking an extra full size wheel if you have one! Then you can go anywhere.
For those of us with the the red brakes we have to get a 19 set up. OEM 18 aero wont fit in the rear.

Rob M

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I also bought the kit and if I might add to the pics @Jditom posted, the wheel has more clearance on the outside edge. I messed around with mine a bit and while it might look like there is not a lot of clearance, when you consider that the brake caliper is rounded and that the extra clearance of the wheel is right above the calipers you have lots of clearance. When you look at things from the side of the car it can look close but if you look from under the car on the inside of the wheel there is a good amount of clearance between the caliper and wheel.
imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
imgpsh_fullsize (1).jpg

Jditom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good observation. I am not to concerned about rubbing. I cant find any data about calipers expanding with heat or stiff AL wheels flexing enough to hit a caliper. But if there is concern you could always swap it with the front where there is a lot of clearance.
Or sacrifice a little bit more room for a full size spare.
Thanks

jsmay311

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
I cant find any data about calipers expanding with heat

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/thexp.html

Idk the exact dimensions of the Model 3's brake calipers or how hot they might get, but the thermal expansion on a brake caliper when driving on a spare would probably be measured in hundredths of a millimeter, or at most a few tenths if they get quite hot. If you're driving on a donut, you should be driving conservatively anyway and have relatively cool brakes. The more concerning part about the tight clearance will be deflection, as mentioned.