Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
241 - 260 of 296 Posts
I am also trying the Kia Stinger spare. I found one for $100 shipped from car-part.com. I'll just need to find a jack kit as discussed here. The modernspare wheel is overpriced. All they are doing is sourcing a wheel and tire, then marking it way up. It's probably safe to say they are not manufacturing the wheel themselves, and obviously not the tire either. The Kia wheel will need a hub ring, but those are dirt cheap.

I am also trying the Kia Stinger spare. I found one for $100 shipped from car-part.com. I'll just need to find a jack kit as discussed here. The modernspare wheel is overpriced. All they are doing is sourcing a wheel and tire, then marking it way up. It's probably safe to say they are not manufacturing the wheel themselves, and obviously not the tire either. The Kia wheel will need a hub ring, but those are dirt cheap.
One word of warning. When you get that KIA spare(I already have one), leave it outside to offgas for a week or two before putting it in your car.

Is there any reason why we can't take the specs of the Kia or modernspare, and just go on tirerack and order a similarly sized tire and cheap rim combo?
I found it very difficult to find a compact spare(donut) anywhere other than modernspare 2 1/2 years ago. The most economical solution I could find was the Kia spare from a junkyard at $110. Could be different today, IDK.

Is there any reason why we can't take the specs of the Kia or modernspare, and just go on tirerack and order a similarly sized tire and cheap rim combo?
I would love to do this. I can't justify spending $300 on a modernspare, and I haven't found any Hyundai/Kia spares for reasonable prices at local junk yards.
For now, I throw one of my off-season wheels into the trunk for long road trips, but it can be hard fitting luggage around it.

Deflated my winter set up on 19" rims and there is still 1" of clearance on the jack provided by Modernspare co.
20" would have ½" more clearance and 18" would have ½" less clearance. All wheel sizes will fit using this jack.
Also the Jack has a nice hard rubber jack point so no need to add any pads etc.
Enjoy!
View attachment 16585 View attachment 16586
Thanks for taking these pics and providing feedback on the modern spare. After doing considerable research and calling many tire stores, I've realized modern spare may be the only place to find a tire donut on a rim for a Tesla MY. I have my own fast jack and a puck etc. and now realize the jack with a puck on top may be too high when the tire is flat. I wanted to do this affordably bcz the modern spare is about $200 more than what I could pay by just buying the pieces separate. I realize they may have a monopoly on spare tire donuts that fit the model y or at lease I can't find one anywhere else. If someone finds a Y spare donut will you please share where you found it?

I have a flat pulling up in my garage and my warning came on... tires went from 45lbs to 18lbs with one warning and were flat in 10min. due to a large nail. A compressor or fix a flat repair kits would have been in affective with the size of the whole. Tesla roadside took 4hrs to get to my house and we got it over to discount after hours and I picked it up at 12pm the next day with a large rubber plug. I don't wan't a 24hr repair again but can't complain about a free $250 tow. I was the 10th Tesla of the day for the driver. Need a spare donut... PLEASE HELP! :)

I have completely blown a new tire on a Tacoma while towing this year in the mountains and now this fast flat in Phx. I have to have a spare either in the car or in my garage. No other alternative. "Stranded" is not for me
Deflated my winter set up on 19" rims and there is still 1" of clearance on the jack provided by Modernspare co.
20" would have ½" more clearance and 18" would have ½" less clearance. All wheel sizes will fit using this jack.
Enjoy!
Enjoy!

Currently carrying a full size spare and 2-ton trolley jack in my model 3 long road trip ventures. Been looking for a lighter, very low profile, and safe lift solution.

Apologize if this has already been posted:
A bit pricey but o so much lighter than my too tall trolley jack, and not a wobble monster like a scissor.

Now if I can find a non-rework spare tire/wheel solution for cheaper than the $385 modernspare tire/wheel.....

Reactions: garsh
So I just read all 13 pages of this, and from what I can tell, we are still in agreement that the Genesis wheel is still the best option?

I really prefer to have a spare. I've owned 3 cars that didn't come with spares, and on all three I had non-repairable tire failures.

On my GT500s, they don't come with a spare either, so I made up a kit using the 18" Mustang alloy spare and jack. Someone else mentioned the same wheel as a spare in this thread, so that was nice to see. I am thinking either the Mustang wheel or Genesis wheel, along with one of those aluminum scissor jacks also mentioned in this thread.

So I just read all 13 pages of this, and from what I can tell, we are still in agreement that the Genesis wheel is still the best option?

I really prefer to have a spare. I've owned 3 cars that didn't come with spares, and on all three I had non-repairable tire failures.

On my GT500s, they don't come with a spare either, so I made up a kit using the 18" Mustang alloy spare and jack. Someone else mentioned the same wheel as a spare in this thread, so that was nice to see. I am thinking either the Mustang wheel or Genesis wheel, along with one of those aluminum scissor jacks also mentioned in this thread.
I made up the spare kit for my Model 3 (since replaced by a Model Y) with an 18" Mustang spare, a Porsche 944 jack and a cheap tools breaker bar and lug nut socket kit - I spent a total of $100 for all of it. The 18" Mustang spare fits both the Model 3 and Model Y as though it were designed for them.

I made up the spare kit for my Model 3 (since replaced by a Model Y) with an 18" Mustang spare, a Porsche 944 jack and a cheap tools breaker bar and lug nut socket kit - I spent a total of $100 for all of it. The 18" Mustang spare fits both the Model 3 and Model Y as though it were designed for them.
Yeah I saw that. I'm glad that wheel works, because I am familiar with it. I made a spare setup for both my GT500s using that same wheel. :D

I just scored the aluminum Mustang wheel today for $50, AND the aluminum Porsche jack (this thing weighs nothing!) for $40.

I am going to attempt to do the top brace mount like suggested earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Mike
Man, if I could find one at that price, I'd buy one too.
All the junkyards near me want $150 and up for those!
I paid that for the one I got for my GT500. This one I found on marketplace. I did have to drive a 3 hour round trip to get it, but it's not like it cost me any gas :p

Reactions: Mike
Ok, I got all my spare stuff now. I picked up the aluminum Porsche jack and shaved down the nub to fit in the Tesla jacking pad holes. I got a jack storage bag off ebay, that I think is from a Hummer. The jack and crank handle fits in the center pouch, and then the Dorman expanding lug wrench and sockets fit in the long storage sleeves on the inside. Then roll it up and tie the straps. Entire case weighs 7 lbs. Fits perfect in the bottom truck area.

241 - 260 of 296 Posts