Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
201 - 220 of 296 Posts
Picture of standard rear disc (rotor) with 5 holes for 10 mm bolt .... it doesn't appear that J's PUP model has five holes ... so is the pup rear rotor different ? .... anybody got a picture of one ?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

And, a picture showing how 10 mm bolt and 5 holes in stock rotor are not centered in "extra holes" in modern spare ... View attachment 16762
@Ole1,

How can you even get the Lug nuts on that? I've got a photo somewhere I'll see if I can find it.

Ski

@Ole1,

Here you go.....looks like no holes, just the bolt.

Ski

Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Disc brake

ahhh ... thank you !
... looks like pup rear calipers and rotors are totally different from non PUP model (stating the obvious) ....

- I am still quite curious about how J' got his modern spare to fit with his 10 mm bolt still there ... maybe the bolt is positioned differently on the PUP rotor ....

ahhh ... thank you !
... looks like pup rear calipers and rotors are totally different from non PUP model (stating the obvious) ....

- I am still quite curious about how J' got his modern spare to fit with his 10 mm bolt still there ... maybe the bolt is positioned differently on the PUP rotor ....
@Ole1,

Yes...the pup rotors are "thinner" in all likelihood to shave weight....and Thus they reveal the "infamous" 3mm lip that's giving us the gears in finding aftermarket wheels that will be milled or account for the lip. Some manufacturers have stepped up and are now offering an extra 'boreout' or mill to account for the aforementioned lip on the PUO rotors.

Ski

Is the Model 3 wheel size so obscure that no other regular wheel would fit from any other car then?

I Was hoping to grab a full size spare from the junkyard, but so far no one has found a comparison wheel after reading this thread. I also find it kind of absurd that people have never changed a tire. I have changed out flat tires at least a dozen times in 20 years from blow-outs to the tread shearing offf and finding a piece of rebar clanging around in my tire . I travel to Big bend every year and got a torn gash in the sidewall on my last trip and changed out a full size spare on it. I was hoping my Scion TC wheels would fit the 3, but they have a 5x100 bolt pattern where the 3 has a 5x114.3 pattern.

Will definitely plan for a Genesis spare, but will still look into another model car tire that I could use instead. What tire sizes would match the model 3 diameter? I have a RWD with 18" aeros.

135/80-18 26.5”
155/70-18 26.5”
135/70-19 26.4”
145/60-20 26.7”

I deploy a 145/80-18 since I am not running a stock tire diameter.

I just received a like-new Hyundai 18x4 spare for $96 shipped off eBay. I don't really intend to carry it regularly, but it will come in handy for doing my own tire rotations. I might carry it on long trips and the like.

A few questions about that 10mm bolt if I may.
1. Is the 10mm bolt PUP only or is it on the standard trim as well? I just just have 18" aeros without the fancy sports brakes and whatnot. (Yeah I could take off a wheel to find out but I'm guessing someone knows)
2. I don't suppose anyone has measured the height of the 10mm bolt head? How much clearance is needed for the 10mm bolt? The Hyundai spare has recesses, and I'm curious to know if they are sufficient to clear the 10mm bolt head.

Thanks for a great informative discussion on spare tires.

1. It is on both since it serves as a manufacturing bolt to keep the rotor in place until the caliper is dropped down over the rotor.
2. Dunno the height, but it cleared my Genesis 18”. If the wheel reliefs were not deep enough to clear the infamous 10mm bolt that many folks seem to fret about, I would just remove it and chuck it in the trash can.

abs

Just recieved message from the seller stating the size at 145/70-17 which according to my tire size calcs shows a 24.99” diameter. Personally, I would not attempt to use it as a donut spare for my M3. Also, I have no experience with fitting a shallow 17” donut on a M3. I am going with two thumbs down on this one, however, I am not going to state with 100% certainty that it won’t fit and get you home safely, but I will say that there are other proven solutions available for this emergency situation.

Good luck!

Can't speak about Tesla Model 3 flats yet but will say in 22 years I've driven two cars and never had a flat. Knock on wood. Now I'll probably get one on M3. That said, I would feel better knowing I had a spare tire. I don't have 3hrs to wait on a tow truck, then find a place fix the flat. Not helpful if I'm +200 miles from home base.

I just received a like-new Hyundai 18x4 spare for $96 shipped off eBay. I don't really intend to carry it regularly, but it will come in handy for doing my own tire rotations. I might carry it on long trips and the like.

A few questions about that 10mm bolt if I may.
1. Is the 10mm bolt PUP only or is it on the standard trim as well? I just just have 18" aeros without the fancy sports brakes and whatnot. (Yeah I could take off a wheel to find out but I'm guessing someone knows)
2. I don't suppose anyone has measured the height of the 10mm bolt head? How much clearance is needed for the 10mm bolt? The Hyundai spare has recesses, and I'm curious to know if they are sufficient to clear the 10mm bolt head.

Thanks for a great informative discussion on spare tires.
If what you bought is Alloy spare, it already has relief for 10mm brake rotor bolt. No need to remove it.
In my case seller mistakenly shipped 17 inch steel spare. This clears front brake rotors and works fine(does not clear rear rotors), but it does not have relief for the rotor bolt. Most cars have counter sunk bolt so it would not protrude, not sure why Tesla went with this design.

I recently aquired an Mazda RX-7 Aluminum Jack. It is nice and light weight. and and marked as rated for 800kgs, which is ~1700lbs, which I think should be enough for 1/4 of the weight of the car. My intent is to mill down a StreetRays jack pad to fit into the slot. It cleaned up nicely.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Nickel Tool

In case anyone is interested, I modified a StreetRays jack adapter for the Mazda aluminum jack. Works well. I purchased the cheapest StreetRays adapter off of eBay. I'm guessing the cheap ones are lower quality as it was barely finished aluminum, but perfect for this use. I milled a 3/8" wide feature and finished the top with a 3/16" corner rounding end mill.

Gas Camera accessory Cylinder Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Bumper Machine tool Gas Engineering
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

I carry two pieces of 2x10x6 wood planks to drive the flat tire up and onto in case my jack won’t fit under a now much lower car with a flat tire.

Here is my concept for a cheap spare. It's the spare wheel from a 2012 Mustang GT. It's an 18" by 4.5" Aluminum wheel with a 185-70x18 tire that is within .3" of the diameter of the stock Model 3 tire. I paid $50 for mine and he threw in the jack. I still have to modify it to fit in the socket on the car.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Hmm.....the original 18s are 26.3” in diameter. My tire calculator has your 185/70-18 coming in at 28.2. I dunno if my tire calculator is accurate and I am not saying that your size donut won’t work, as Tesla only knows the upper and lower thresholds before the M3 gets upset. Someone may have a more accurate tire calculator than the one I am using that can chime in. Also, since you already have one, I am sure that you already took a precise diameter measurement.

201 - 220 of 296 Posts