Dominion Virginia Power?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Curious if anyone out there is a Dominion Virginia Power customer? Their rate menu is very confusing with 3 charges making up the final costs and it looks like they killed off any EV programs but i was wondering about switching to a Time of Use (TOU) plan to save money on charging. Anyone looked into that? Thx, Matt

bradkeller

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I looked into it and from what I can tell, they killed it a few years ago. Unless you signed up back then, you're stuck with the normal plan where the energy costs the same any time in the day or night.

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I looked into it and from what I can tell, they killed it a few years ago. Unless you signed up back then, you're stuck with the normal plan where the energy costs the same any time in the day or night.
Argh thought so thx. I'll call them and post here if any good news....

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you, Matt! Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to go beyond the 'ways to save' page, which has no info on EVs. Did it work for you?
When I click that link, i am shown a form to fill out to submit my info to them. Do you not see that?

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I click that link, i am shown a form to fill out to submit my info to them. Do you not see that?
Ah, it looks like I had to first select the VA region on the top. Now it's working okay. My apologies!
Can't believe I did that; I'm usually the person with a facepalm, when others can't find something right in front of their faces.

bradkeller

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi everyone. I wanted to get back to the group and say that I'm now on the Dominion Time of Use schedule, and I'm already seeing some decrease in my bills. I'm only a month in, but given my family's use patterns, the savings should really add up. And it's easy to tell the car to only start charging at 9 or 11 PM (when the rates go back down).

In addition, Dominion lets you download all your previous year's usage data, in 15-minute (I think) incremements. I created a spreadsheet that showed me how much I paid under the old system, and how much I would pay if I had been under the Time of Use schedule. And, given my usage patterns, even without changing any habits, I would have saved money last year on a Time of Use schedule. So, that's why I made the switch.

If anyone's interested, I would recommend calling Dominion and tell them you'd like to switch to a Time of Use schedule. They make you sign a form and physically mail it back in, and then it's a few weeks until it kicks in, but it works.

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi everyone. I wanted to get back to the group and say that I'm now on the Dominion Time of Use schedule, and I'm already seeing some decrease in my bills. I'm only a month in, but given my family's use patterns, the savings should really add up. And it's easy to tell the car to only start charging at 9 or 11 PM (when the rates go back down).
Funny, Brad, i was JUST on their site TODAY looking at this.

Which TOU did you move to (demand v energy at https://www.dominionenergy.com/home-and-small-business/rates-and-regulation/residential-rates )? I was wondering if it makes sense.

if i Understand TOU, everything during that hour is charge the same right? Eg, all the costs during the Day will be MORE than normal, but evening will be less? Would you mind sharing the xls? attach or DM. Thanks!

Matt

bradkeller

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you send me an email at bradfordkeller@gmail.com, I'll see how to send the spreadsheet to you. (It's rather large, and I'll have to dig it out of my files.)

I did Demand TOU (1S). I calculated both ways, and found that demand worked better for me.

When you're in peak hours (in the winter, that's 7-11 AM and 5-9 PM), your energy costs a little more. But when you're off peak, it costs less. And, all weekends and holidays are always off peak. (So, for instance on New Year's Day, I just charged up the car when we got home, instead of waiting until 9 PM, because it was a holiday.) Just looking at my raw data from the previous year, about 2/3 of my energy usage was during off-peak hours, and 1/3 was on peak. So, even though on-peak energy costs more, I used so little of it, it ended up being a good deal.

I hope this helps.

Ruben

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you send me an email at bradfordkeller@gmail.com, I'll see how to send the spreadsheet to you. (It's rather large, and I'll have to dig it out of my files.)

I did Demand TOU (1S). I calculated both ways, and found that demand worked better for me.

When you're in peak hours (in the winter, that's 7-11 AM and 5-9 PM), your energy costs a little more. But when you're off peak, it costs less. And, all weekends and holidays are always off peak. (So, for instance on New Year's Day, I just charged up the car when we got home, instead of waiting until 9 PM, because it was a holiday.) Just looking at my raw data from the previous year, about 2/3 of my energy usage was during off-peak hours, and 1/3 was on peak. So, even though on-peak energy costs more, I used so little of it, it ended up being a good deal.

I hope this helps.
peak hours (in the winter, that's 7-11 AM and 5-9 PM), your energy costs a little more. But when you're off peak, it costs less. And, all weekends and holidays are always off peak
^
^
I called the dominion customer, they told me this is for everyone. There is no need to convert or apply anything special.
But he seems to lack of knowledge about this.

I looked on the website. The information about rate is so confusing.

If I am not on Demand TOU (1S), what is the rate for off peak?

Ruben

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I called Dominion 3 times, the customer service has no clue about Demand TOU (1S).
What option should select when I call customer service to get the right person on this?

bradkeller

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I spoke with several people who did not know about it, and finally got someone who did. So, I'm not sure why Dominion isn't spreading the word among their employees, but it appears that's the case.

I found that when you're talking to Dominion, it's helpful to say the phrase "Time of Use" billing. That seemed to work. But you can clearly see them listed here on their website, as Schedules 1S and 1T: https://www.dominionenergy.com/home-and-small-business/rates-and-regulation/residential-rates

Ruben

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you so much BradKeller

Instead of calling customer service, I posted the question to Dominion Energy Virginia on Facebook.
I got the response quickly and correctly. They will send me TOU package.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great post for us in VA. Where do you go to download previous years usage data? I see where you can log in to your account and then click "Analyze" next to each bill date, but the data doesn't provide the detail needed. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Great post for us in VA. Where do you go to download previous years usage data? I see where you can log in to your account and then click "Analyze" next to each bill date, but the data doesn't provide the detail needed. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
You need to have a "smart meter" before you can get the detailed 30-minute interval data. Dominion isn't very transparent on their plans to roll out the new meters, but there is a little detail here:

https://www.dominionenergy.com/about-us/electric-projects/smart-meters/smart-meter-locations

bradkeller

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here are my detailed instructions for downloading your data. If you log in and don't see these options, it's possible it's because your meter isn't set up for that. In that case, you might want to call Dominion and see if such a setup is available.

1. Log into your Dominion account.
  2. Then go to https://mya.dominionenergy.com/
  3. Along the left side, click on "Detailed Energy Usage"
  4. Then scroll about halfway down and you'll see a subheader that says "30-Minute Interval Data"
  5. Below that, click the button that says "click here to view or download 30-minute interval data"
  6. That will take you to a screen where you can download it as CSV, XLS, TXT files, or to simply view the data online. Download it as XLS and save that file

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello @bradkeller - thank you for this post! I've been looking on Dominion's website several times, with no luck. Finally the mythical TOU billing is revealed to be real!

May I ask how much of a difference you are seeing in your costs? I understand energy usage patterns are different for every household. But I'm just trying to get a sense of how much impact it makes, even if it's just an anecdotal data point. Thanks in advance!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is great, especially since I charge at night. I am also about to get solar, which I believe uses a new net meter from dominion so i can send power back to the grid. Im wondering if i have one TOU meter means i cant have the other net meter for solar.., or maybe they are the same new meter?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Please forgive me if this is an old thread and old news. I am a brand new Tesla owner, but have owned 2 Chevy Volts prior to this. I installed a second metered service at my house more than 6 years ago, the second one exclusive for my EV. Our home service is the standard average cost and the EV meter is on time of use, as others have noted.

When doing the math, I was concerned my regular home usage would increase too much on the TOU. The super off peak charges with Dominion from 1am - 5 am are VERY affordable. I do not yet know what my Tesla costs will be, but 6 years of Volt ownership, plugging in every night going from typically 0 to 70 miles of range cost me on average $25 per month for the EV meter.

It's been so long since I did the other meter, I can't remember the cost or the process, other than I had to go to a Dominion office to physically pick up the meter to have the Dominion employee install it after prepped by my electrician. Hope that is helpful.