Does your Model 3 "wake up" when you walk up to it?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm very frustrated as my newly arrived car doesn't "wake up" when I approach. I have a Samsung Galaxy 7. I have to either use the card or unlock via app.

Today's upgrade didn't fix problem. Neither did the suggestion to turn airplane mode on/off or to check the "Apps that can change system settings." Other suggestions?!?

At this point, just give me a key fob - please!
there are some extensive Android specific threads.
This is one seems to have the most info included
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/is-android-as-car-key-ever-going-to-actually-work.7007/

Cintoman

Country
Country
My Settings > Apps > Tesla doesn't HAVE an "Advanced" option. Bluetooth on BOTH iPhone SEs regularly die, but still the phone sometimes locks when you're 2' away (R front), sometimes unlocks when you open the door (not always), often locks on walk-away (but not always); usually does NOT re-connect by turning Bluetooth off & then on, often requires card to start the car even if it's unlocked it. Ain't life mysterious?
Sounds exactly like the issues I'm having with my phone and app:

Been having constant issues with the phone app getting "connection error" or "server error" after the car's been asleep for a few days or so. Also having tons of issues with my Phone Key being "disconnected". Only way to fix the phone key is to turn airplane mode on/off, and then it'll show "connected". But not much afterwards, it'll go back to "disconnected" status again. Quite annoying that, as I walk up to the car, I have to fool around with the airplane mode settings in order to get my phone key connected. Also, there are times where there phone app shows the Phone Key as "connected", yet when I get in and try to start the car, it asks me to place my keycard on the center console.

--Cintoman

breadfan35

Country
Country
So, after having almost 100% success with the phone unlocking the car on approach I am now having issues with it out of the blue. The last few days most times when I walk up the car is locked. I have to wait and then it opens up. :-/

I will say that after getting V9 I have been having bluetooth connection issues when playing media, but that has been a problem since getting V9 (a few weeks ago). The phone key issue just started happening a yesterday.

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, after having almost 100% success with the phone unlocking the car on approach I am now having issues with it out of the blue. The last few days most times when I walk up the car is locked. I have to wait and then it opens up. :-/

I will say that after getting V9 I have been having bluetooth connection issues when playing media, but that has been a problem since getting V9 (a few weeks ago). The phone key issue just started happening a yesterday.
Interesting. So far issues with iPhones seem rare, which is exactly why I switched to one a few weeks ago (XS max) and it's been flawless.
Killed me as I loved Android, but my Galaxy SUCKED at this and I've just read too many similar stories with the rest of them, I had about a 1 in 4 success rate of it ever unlocking on approach and that was when I had made sure the app was fully woken up and front-and-center on top.

Have you tried the old log-out-log-back-in?

SoCalWine

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For me, the issue is where my phone is relative to the pillar. I usually keep it in my back pocket. I often have to turn my body to ensure the phone is closer to the pillar for the car to recognize. Never had problem with phone in hand. Samsung Galaxy S8