Does your Model 3 “beep” when it locks? (Pre-2018.26.1)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Does your Model 3 “beep” when the doors lock?

• Yes

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can’t find the post now, but I was interested enough to start a new thread on this topic.

I always walk away from my car backward waiting for the mirrors to fold for my confirmation.

Someone mentioned there is a beep, but it’s faint.

If there is a beep, I’m not hearing it so hence the poll. Does your Model 3 beep the doors lock?

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This was one of a few gripes my other half has about our 3 as she locks her car 4/5 times when leaving it and tries to listen to its *beep*.
(so no, my 3 does not beep - 22XXX VIN)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought it did but really it is the sound of the mirrors folding but you gotta be close to hear it. I would like a beep but then again, I park in an attached garage at the house. It locks in the garage so I wouldn’t want it to beep when I am coming or going to wake others. Wish I could designate my garage as a NO LOCK zone....
Does anyone have a solution for leaving walk away lock on yet leaving it unlocked in the garage? Other then open the app and unlock it? I like the mirrors folded but dont like having to find my phone just to retrieve something from the car.

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine beeps, very quietly. You have to turn off the auto-folding mirrors to be able to hear it. 21xxx VIN. It was too hard to hear so I use the folding mirrors as a cue instead.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wish we had an option to make it beep upon locking, depending on the angle and lighting sometimes it's hard to tell if the mirrors are folded in. I think I remember reading somewhere that Elon doens't like noise pollution and that may account for the lack of a honking horn when the car locks. I do like the idea of the app giving a notification though, that would be great.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't heard it beep except when using the key card with the windows open. When I get home tomorrow night, I'll try the walk away with the windows open and see if it's beeping inside the car which might explain the "quiet" beep being reported. Agree that it would be nice if the app could notify of locking but, with the potential time lag, I'm not sure that would be any more reassuring than watching over my shoulder.

I'm disappointed in my experience with the onscreen lock icon before closing the last door; it works but doesn't close the mirrors or recognize my bluetooth key when I return (although that was when my phone's bt antenna was having issues so need to test again).

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't heard it beep except when using the key card with the windows open. When I get home tomorrow night, I'll try the walk away with the windows open and see if it's beeping inside the car which might explain the "quiet" beep being reported. Agree that it would be nice if the app could notify of locking but, with the potential time lag, I'm not sure that would be any more reassuring than watching over my shoulder.

I'm disappointed in my experience with the onscreen lock icon before closing the last door; it works but doesn't close the mirrors or recognize my bluetooth key when I return (although that was when my phone's bt antenna was having issues so need to test again).
It does beep when you press that on screen icon to lock the car. It ain’t much of a beep. That might be the sound that is being heard.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't heard it beep except when using the key card with the windows open. When I get home tomorrow night, I'll try the walk away with the windows open and see if it's beeping inside the car which might explain the "quiet" beep being reported.
Yes, the beeping is inside the car and nigh on inaudible from outside when the windows are closed; either that or it only dings when the windows aren’t closed (need to test that next time). I’m glad we don’t get the annoying boop-boop audible up and down the block from so many modern vehicles but a notification from the app or the same quiet ding on the outside as on the inside (or quick chirp) would be a nice option. Perhaps they could develop a way to tune it to be audible only as far away as the Bluetooth key is when the lock engages.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@skygraff may be on to something. For the first and only time today I heard the car beep when it locked. It was in the garage and it caught my attention because I had never heard it before and will admit you wouldn't hear it very far from the car. This evening when we were about to get back out I realized I had left the passenger side window down - and now hence that is why/how I heard the beep. I voted yes on the poll simply because of that and it was before I read these posts. So technically it does, but it was not loud and it did seem to come from the drivers side, but it was the passenger side window that was down. So I'm thinking it was a warning about the window being down. I've never heard it make this sound before.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The 3 does have an exterior speaker for possible future requirements for pedestrian safety noise, so Tesla could update software to generate an exterior beep when locking. Tweet a suggestion to Elon.
As someone said earlier, cars beeping and booping in busy residential areas is the bane of many people's lives. In the spring or fall when you sleep with he windows open in densely populated areas with apartment buildings or tightly packed houses, hearing cars constantly beeping and honking is really annoying. I'm really glad the Model 3 is designed this way.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As someone said earlier, cars beeping and booping in busy residential areas is the bane of many people's lives. In the spring or fall when you sleep with he windows open in densely populated areas with apartment buildings or tightly packed houses, hearing cars constantly beeping and honking is really annoying. I'm really glad the Model 3 is designed this way.
I nice not-too-loud beep is great for confirming your car is locked. A car horn hocnk or full alarm system beep is NOT. Definitely spoken from experience as I have busy street parking feet from my bedroom window. But the great thing about a Tesla is the tone can be programed perfectly by software and it can simply be an option in the GUI.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I nice not-too-loud beep is great for confirming your car is locked. A car horn hocnk or full alarm system beep is NOT. Definitely spoken from experience as I have busy street parking feet from my bedroom window. But the great thing about a Tesla is the tone can be programed perfectly by software and it can simply be an option in the GUI.
True - a flash of the lights or a buzz on your phone would work just as well.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The yellow lights do flash when it locks.
It's super reliable.
If I'm anxious about it, I glance at the app.
However, if the trunk or a door is ajar, it won't lock.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought it did but really it is the sound of the mirrors folding but you gotta be close to hear it. I would like a beep but then again, I park in an attached garage at the house. It locks in the garage so I wouldn’t want it to beep when I am coming or going to wake others. Wish I could designate my garage as a NO LOCK zone....
Does anyone have a solution for leaving walk away lock on yet leaving it unlocked in the garage? Other then open the app and unlock it? I like the mirrors folded but dont like having to find my phone just to retrieve something from the car.
Love the idea of leaving it unlock in our garage too. On numerous occasions, I would run out to Quicksilver go grab something in the back seat and Doh! it is locked o_O, so I run back into the house to grab my phone or spare key card to go back out and unlock it.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, my Volt did that...honking the horn and I hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.