Does V9 require WIFI to download?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have seen a few reports saying that because the V9 update is very large, you have to be connected to WIFI on a consistent basis to get the update. Is this really true? If that's the case I'm going to be pretty frustrated because nowhere did Tesla make that explicitly known to their customers. I live in an apartment and my car doesn't have easy access to wifi. I would need to create a hotspot on my work phone but there is no way I am downloading that update on that.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
V9 isn't that large (~530 MB), but Tesla suggested priority downloads when connected to WiFi.

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
V9 isn't that large (~530 MB), but Tesla suggested priority downloads when connected to WiFi.
I understand giving priority to WIFI but at what point are people going to start getting it over the air? just seems a little unfair for those people who don't live in a house or condo. If the update happened immediately when connecting to WIFI then I wouldn't care but it's not feasible for me to wait around for it to happen.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I understand giving priority to WIFI but at what point are people going to start getting it over the air? just seems a little unfair for those people who don't live in a house or condo. If the update happened immediately when connecting to WIFI then I wouldn't care but it's not feasible for me to wait around for it to happen.
I agree with you completely especially given the thought of "premium LTE connectivity". I'm just not sure of the answer...

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have seen a few reports saying that because the V9 update is very large, you have to be connected to WIFI on a consistent basis to get the update. Is this really true?
There is a large map update that's required before updating to v9, and the car will only download that map update over v9. But if you don't have that yet, you'll get a popup on the car's display telling you that your maps are out of date and you need to connect to wifi to download them.

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a large map update that's required before updating to v9, and the car will only download that map update over v9. But if you don't have that yet, you'll get a popup on the car's display telling you that your maps are out of date and you need to connect to wifi to download them.
I don't remember seeing a popup but if I connect it to my phone using a hotspot, is there a way to see if it's downloading the wifi update. Does it automatically trigger?

RUN TM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was feeling left out for the past 10 days for not receiving v.9, but after reading the complaints of bugs and seeing how many revisions Tesla's burning through, I'm perfectly willing to wait another month for it when it is stable.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
many people claim that it does need to be connected to wifi, if true it would be a first for me, I received V9 over the weekend and I do not know if I've gotten the map update

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really couldn't tell you because the wifi connection isn't a constant, sometimes it's on other times not on. but I have received many updates via LTE
No worries. I ended up putting my work phone in the car for a few hours with WiFi tethering on and I got the update! I really like it so far.

RUN TM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was feeling left out for the past 10 days for not receiving v.9, but after reading the complaints of bugs and seeing how many revisions Tesla's burning through, I'm perfectly willing to wait another month for it when it is stable.
Well, spoke too soon. Got 39.7 tonight. Installed okay. We'll see how things go tomorrow on the drive to work.