Does the "Performance" have 155mph top speed by default?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mhmhsh

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I have received my design invite for the model 3 reservation. Something is a bit confusing regarding the top speed of the "Performance" trim option. The first page of the configurator shows the following:
View media item 810
So it says that the "Performance" includes both the 3.5s acceleration and a top speed of 155 mph, as well as other additional upgrades.

However, when you get to the 2nd page, it lists the 155mph top speed as part of the $5000 upgrade package:
View media item 811
Does the 155mph top speed come by default in the Performance, or do you have to add the $5000 upgrade package on top of it, in order to get that speed?

If the default top speed for the Performance is 145mph unless you add the upgrade package, it means you would be paying $11,000 on top of the AWD non-perofrmance just to speed up your acceleration by 1 second!!!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From what I understand the 10 MPH top speed difference is because of the difference in tires from the base 18" wheels to the upgraded 20" wheels.

mhmhsh

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
From what I understand the 10 MPH top speed difference is because of the difference in tires from the base 18" wheels to the upgraded 20" wheels.
Very plausible. I don't see that explains the 1 second difference in the acceleration though, or maybe the acc. is software controlled?

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The key bit is "Top Speed: up to 155mph".

I can't imagine many people are getting AWD+P because they plan to exceed 145mph (although with some rare exceptions, I'm sure). It's more about acceleration, which is driven both by software and hardware.

Wooloomooloo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was also confused by this when configuring my Performance package. You'll also notice some other things that when you're configuring show as options, but actually they're included as part of the Performance package but they're all there when you're done and check the build details.

There is only one Performance build top speed as far as I can tell - if you have the 3.5s 0-60, you'll get the top speed possible. What I wonder is if this is simply a software configuration on identical hardware to the AWD version, or if something about the hardware makes it possible, and if so is that the motor, battery or a limitation difference in the power regulation.

If it's only software, then in theory the AWD can reach the same acceleration and top speed in future.

Wooloomooloo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The key bit is "Top Speed: up to 155mph".

I can't imagine many people are getting AWD+P because they plan to exceed 145mph (although with some rare exceptions, I'm sure). It's more about acceleration, which is driven both by software and hardware.
Let's be honest, it's all about beating fancy ICE cars (ahem, on a track obviously...)

Wooloomooloo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree, but oddly that's installed upon request at delivery.
It’s part of the configuration.

Your Model 3 build details
  • Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • Performance Upgrade
  • 20’’ Performance Wheels
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Performance Pedals
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s part of the configuration.

Your Model 3 build details
  • Model 3 Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • Performance Upgrade
  • 20’’ Performance Wheels
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Performance Pedals
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot
Yes it is, but it doesn't come on the car from the factory. The pedals and spoiler are both installed locally after the car arrives.

Wooloomooloo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes it is, but it doesn't come on the car from the factory. The pedals and spoiler are both installed locally after the car arrives.
So people have taken delivery of performance versions of the car and experienced that? I hadn’t heard of this, I didn’t even know any performance versions had been delivered.

Diamond.g

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So people have taken delivery of performance versions of the car and experienced that? I hadn’t heard of this, I didn’t even know any performance versions had been delivered.
It used to say in the configurator (not sure if it still does) that the spoiler would be installed after delivery.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I hope people know the caveat about the spoiler. Technically it's likely properly classed as a wing, since the car is surely already designed for optimal aerodynamics without having a spoiler. Spoilers are designed to improve aerodynamics; this won't. Wings are designed to add downforce.

Downforce is negative lift. A wing - like all wings - provides its lift as part of a given L/D ratio. That is, lift comes with some drag. Drag reduces range. Also, the more downforce on the tires, the more rolling drag - again, less range.

An adjustable or retractable wing can go from little to no effect on the aerodynamics, to high downforce/drag, as needed. But AFAIK, this one is fixed. So if it's giving you downforce, it's hurting your range. If it's not giving you downforce, it's just for style (and will still probably have a minor adverse impact to your range - although not as much as those tires!). Most car "spoilers" today fall into the latter category - they're just there to look sporty.

Petra

Country
Country
I thought it was concluded in one of the other threads that this is an unlikely explanation because the overall tire diameters are comparable, width is the same, and the stock tires on the 18" wheels (Michelin MXM4) are W-rated (168mph). It's likely a software imposed limitation.

JeffC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Given all the Tesla factory tires for Model 3 are rated above 155 MPH and are of generally similar diameter, if the top speed unlock is not purely marketing driven, then it's possible the small lip spoiler actually adds some stability at top speed. Model 3 is so low drag that small changes can make a big difference, especially at high speeds. In other words, the spoiler may *not* be purely cosmetic.