Does Standard has Metal or Glass Roof with Liner? Help!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

I've been asking whether the standard will have all metal/partial metal and partial glass with liner (driver side). For manufacturing ease, there is no roof for the robots to do their thing. Once everything is in place, the top needs to be closed. Tinted glass for premium. What is t for standard? I don't see welding metal of some sort again after stamping and painting. Can someone help me clarify? Thanks

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been asking whether the standard will have all metal/partial metal and partial glass with liner (driver side). For manufacturing ease, there is no roof for the robots to do their thing. Once everything is in place, the top needs to be closed. Tinted glass for premium. What is t for standard? I don't see welding metal of some sort again after stamping and painting. Can someone help me clarify? Thanks
I don't think the UV tint is what makes it "premium", I think it's inferring that the roof above the driver's head won't be see through glass unless you get the premium package. There are some varying thoughts on exactly what will be over the driver's head if not the glass, but it's all speculation at the moment now.

ReD eXiLe

Country
Country
I strongly suspect there may be no 'metal roof' option at all. My guess is that every roof will be glass, but that perhaps the base cars will have an 'opaque' finish instead of tinted glass. Like the panels you sometimes see in store fronts that are painted black or white on the inside.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I strongly suspect there may be no 'metal roof' option at all. My guess is that every roof will be glass, but that perhaps the base cars will have an 'opaque' finish instead of tinted glass. Like the panels you sometimes see in store fronts that are painted black or white on the inside.
Someone else made that suggestion as well. It could be. I'm curious to see it.

SSonnentag

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I don't see how anything but glass is possible as the rear window and rear roof are one and the same. The only option for metal would be the small piece between the front and mid roof beams, and I don't think that piece is large enough to warrant having two options on the assembly line.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I don't see how anything but glass is possible as the rear window and rear roof are one and the same. The only option for metal would be the small piece between the front and mid roof beams, and I don't think that piece is large enough to warrant having two options on the assembly line.
and yet that is what Tesla are saying that they are doing.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to the press kit, there's no difference in rear headroom between standard and glass so I think we're still just talking about the front seat roof.

On a side note, the latest press kit (01 August) shows 12-volt power outlet under convenience features (as well as power adjustable side mirrors - no mention of folding until the premium level).

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Interesting exchange.
We will only know for sure in a few months when they start cranking out base versions...

I also tend to agree with this premise, @SSonnentag , yet that does not mean I'd bet a lot on this being a certainly more, if I was a betting man... which I'm not... ;)
..)I don't think that piece is large enough to warrant having two options on the assembly line.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Let's not forget that this picture taken a few weeks ago has never been explained
Are proposing that the white patch is there because Tesla have build a Model 3 with an extra third bulkhead in the roof, right about the passenger heads, so they can put a metal roof all the way back?
Even though the big selling point on the Model 3 is the rear glass, which is essential to the design and allows decent headroom in the rear seats?
Or are you suggesting they are just comparing this to the effectiveness of the roof tint?