Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Does Standard has Metal or Glass Roof with Liner? Help!

6K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  SeriouslyNicePants 
#1 ·
I've been asking whether the standard will have all metal/partial metal and partial glass with liner (driver side). For manufacturing ease, there is no roof for the robots to do their thing. Once everything is in place, the top needs to be closed. Tinted glass for premium. What is t for standard? I don't see welding metal of some sort again after stamping and painting. Can someone help me clarify? Thanks

#3 ·
I don't think the UV tint is what makes it "premium", I think it's inferring that the roof above the driver's head won't be see through glass unless you get the premium package. There are some varying thoughts on exactly what will be over the driver's head if not the glass, but it's all speculation at the moment now.

#5 ·
I strongly suspect there may be no 'metal roof' option at all. My guess is that every roof will be glass, but that perhaps the base cars will have an 'opaque' finish instead of tinted glass. Like the panels you sometimes see in store fronts that are painted black or white on the inside.

#7 ·
I recall reading a spec sheet on interior headroom for both the standard and premium models (I can't recall who reported). There was less headroom in the standard model.

#9 ·
I don't see how anything but glass is possible as the rear window and rear roof are one and the same. The only option for metal would be the small piece between the front and mid roof beams, and I don't think that piece is large enough to warrant having two options on the assembly line.

#10 ·
Furthermore, I think the difference in seating materials could explain the slight rear headroom differences between base and premium.

#14 ·
According to the press kit, there's no difference in rear headroom between standard and glass so I think we're still just talking about the front seat roof.

On a side note, the latest press kit (01 August) shows 12-volt power outlet under convenience features (as well as power adjustable side mirrors - no mention of folding until the premium level).

#15 ·
Ah, OK, I misunderstood the earlier headroom post then. It seems rather clear now then that metal will be standard.

Reactions: PcGuy
#20 ·
Are proposing that the white patch is there because Tesla have build a Model 3 with an extra third bulkhead in the roof, right about the passenger heads, so they can put a metal roof all the way back?
Even though the big selling point on the Model 3 is the rear glass, which is essential to the design and allows decent headroom in the rear seats?
Or are you suggesting they are just comparing this to the effectiveness of the roof tint?

#21 ·
In my book, from the Press Kit materials (link above), the lines:

Head room, standard: 39.6” front row, 37.7” second row
Head room, glass roof: 40.3” front row, 37.7” second row

Seem to me to imply pretty strongly that the standard will be a non-glass roof over the front seats, with glass over the rear. A metal roof would need a headliner and insulation, thus the 0.7" drop in head room.

#23 ·
My understanding, based on discussions with an unnamed source ( source, also mentioned a week before reveal the following: scroll wheel adjusts steering wheel, aero wheel is standard, the existence of memory seats, the ac vent controls via 15" screen) that the glass roof would also be on the base model, just will have liner to make it opaque. So take that with a grain of salt. :)

#24 ·
Hmm, that is odd and doesn't match the current online configurator (for those who've seen it) which specifically says "Manual seats".
Of course Tesla don't wait around to change things when they see fit, so who knows what will happen between now and December ;)

[edit]
Having said that, the statement could be taken as correct, depending on how you term "standard".
All cars right now do include memory seats, glass roof, etc etc as standard - because they're only producing cars with the premium upgrade.

#26 ·
I like the look of the glass roof but she who shall be obeyed doesn't.....so I'm getting the metal roof...I'm sure it'll be fine..

Some people don't like that open airy feeling. I do but not everybody does and the fact it's part of the premiere package as the only way to get the glass roof...for me it's a foregone conclusion not to order it..

It's a metal panel where the glass panel above the drivers head...the rear glass is huge and does reach further forward and looks weird with the small metal patch above the drivers head,,,if you view the car from above..but who does that?

#27 ·
I like the look of the glass roof but she who shall be obeyed doesn't.....so I'm getting the metal roof...I'm sure it'll be fine..

Some people don't like that open airy feeling. I do but not everybody does and the fact it's part of the premiere package as the only way to get the glass roof...for me it's a foregone conclusion not to order it..

It's a metal panel where the glass panel above the drivers head...the rear glass is huge and does reach further forward and looks weird with the small metal patch above the drivers head,,,if you view the car from above..but who does that?
If you haven't yet, get her into a Model S / X with the glass roof and operable sunroof on a bright sunshining day, as close to noon as possible. Get comfortable with the sunroof closed, and then open the sunroof.

At this point, one can truly appreciate how much better the Tesla glass roof is compared to the older sunroof cars she is probably comparing them to. Be careful though, this maneuver may cost you $5000.00 :p

#29 ·
Let's not forget that this picture taken a few weeks ago has never been explained
I have a feeling that this had to do with testing the positioning of the tint. If I remember correctly, there were people in the back seats. Probably driving around for a bit, shift the white cover forward / back, test again.. Looking for the optimized location for where the tint starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.