Does Model 3 ownership give owner priority?

Country
Country
We might not have any data on this yet, but I was wondering if Model 3 ownership will provide priority in the queue for a 2nd model 3.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm a non-owner and I'm wondering if I should put in a 2nd reservation in. Then, once I get my 3 I'd get ownership priority on the 2nd reservation. We wouldn't know the answer to this yet, unless Tesla owner with only 1 Tesla got bumped in priority on their 2nd reservation after they took delivery of their 1st 3.

Thoughts?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I would think not. I think Tesla wanted to help Model S and X owners and also push people on the fence to buy a Model S or X to keep their sales up after the unveil.

telero

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I was kind of wondering if that was how some previous owners with one Tesla were getting two Model 3's with priority. If you were really supposed to only get one priority per Tesla you already owned, was configuring the Model 3 re-triggering whatever algorithm is in place that bumps your reservation up in the queue?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think it was clarified at some point that only ownership of a Roadster, S, or X would give you priority. But I can't find the source of such a statement at the moment, so I could be mis-remembering.

Country
Country
I was kind of wondering if that was how some previous owners with one Tesla were getting two Model 3's with priority. If you were really supposed to only get one priority per Tesla you already owned, was configuring the Model 3 re-triggering whatever algorithm is in place that bumps your reservation up in the queue?
People who have 2 reservations get one on priority and the other like non-owners.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
People who have 2 reservations get one on priority and the other like non-owners.
That's how it should have been done, but apparently existing S/X owners have received both M3s within weeks of each other. Now, to be fair, they might own two MS or MX or one of each, and that would explain it.

But I seem to recall owners of just one having both reservations prioritized.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's how it should have been done, but apparently existing S/X owners have received both M3s within weeks of each other. Now, to be fair, they might own two MS or MX or one of each, and that would explain it.

That sounds familiar to me as well.

Country
Country

I've seen people with 2 Teslas get 2 prioritized. I've seen people with 1 say they got their first prioritized and second not.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but that hasn't been the norm that I've seen.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A relative, a Model S owner for a few years, placed two Model 3 reservations on 3/31 and 4/1. The first reservation was available to configure 12/22 and and order was placed in January. I just found out that the 2nd reservation is now available to configure (probably in the most recent wave of invites that went out). Hope that helps. Wait, no it does not.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A relative, a Model S owner for a few years, placed two Model 3 reservations on 3/31 and 4/1. The first reservation was available to configure 12/22 and and order was placed in January. I just found out that the 2nd reservation is now available to configure (probably in the most recent wave of invites that went out). Hope that helps. Wait, no it does not.
Sounds like that answers at least one question. Just to confirm, the relative has only one Model S correct?

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like that answers at least one question. Just to confirm, the relative has only one Model S correct?
Yes, just a single Model S. The invite for the first reservation was 12/22/17, the invite for the second reservation was this week. The first reservation was converted to an order around the first week of Jan.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, just a single Model S. The invite for the first reservation was 12/22/17, the invite for the second reservation was this week. The first reservation was converted to an order around the first week of Jan.
So that confirms that either:

a) an owner of ONE model S/X can get priority on at least 2 Model 3s, or
b) an owner of ONE model S/X can get priority on one Model 3 and then that Model 3 gets them priority on another Model 3.

This doesn't confirm the original question of whether being the owner of a Model 3 (and no S/X) will give you priority on another. My hunch is no it won't.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just for clarification. Did that relative own an older Model S, and then trade it in later for a new Model S? Previous ownership of a Tesla that you no longer own does appear to qualify you for Model 3 priority.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just for clarification. Did that relative own an older Model S, and then trade it in later for a new Model S? Previous ownership of a Tesla that you no longer own does appear to qualify you for Model 3 priority.
No, AFAIK they've only ever had the one Tesla.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
very good question :)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This doesn't confirm the original question of whether being the owner of a Model 3 (and no S/X) will give you priority on another. My hunch is no it won't.
We could test that theory out easily if a kind, generous soul "donates" $50k to a fellow Model 3 owner for a second car. ;)

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
$50K isn't needed. Just $1K for a reservation. Then we see if an early invite comes.
Now that's someone that's using their head! :p The problem is that the people who confirmed delivery of multiple model 3s already had reserved in the first few days. Who knows if current owners who reserved later than 4/1 get to configure soon.

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just took delivery of a Model 3 under my brother-in-law's reservation. He owns a Model S. As soon as the Model 3 transfers to my account I'm going to do a little experiment: We will each reserve an additional Model 3. I'll create a thread to keep track of the progress of those two reservations (one to a Model S owner that has taken a delivery of a Model 3, one to a Model 3 owner with no previous Teslas)