Do I need Chademo?

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do I need this expensive adapter? I have 1777 adapter. Please help me understand.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do I need this expensive adapter? I have 1777 adapter. Please help me understand.
The CHAdeMO adapter is helpful if you're taking a longer road trip along a route where Superchargers are sparse but there are CHAdeMO quick-charging stations along the way to fill in the gaps. As the Supercharger network expands, fewer and fewer routes will fall into that bucket. (The trans-Canada route comes to mind.)

Otherwise, Superchargers, destination chargers, and public J1772 charging stations will very likely cover all your needs.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The CHAdeMO adapter is helpful if you're taking a longer road trip along a route where Superchargers are sparse but there are CHAdeMO quick-charging stations along the way to fill in the gaps. As the Supercharger network expands, fewer and fewer routes will fall into that bucket. (The trans-Canada route comes to mind.)

Otherwise, Superchargers, destination chargers, and public J1772 charging stations will very likely cover all your needs.
Thanks very much for your thoughts.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Short answer: no.

Chademo is only really popular in Japan. CCS2 has just about completely supplanted it (and the Tesla plug) in Europe, and CCS1 is starting to spread in the Americas. The only people who should get one are people who *know* that they have a need for it.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Chademo is only really popular in Japan. CCS2 has just about completely supplanted it (and the Tesla plug) in Europe, and CCS1 is starting to spread in the Americas. The only people who should get one are people who *know* that they have a need for it.
Ironically, last night I just watched a video about "charging your EV in Japan", and the chargers all had CCS connections.

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's one odd example where I do need the Chademo adapter. I go to Cape Canaveral to watch rocket launches frequently, and there is actually a Chademo station nearby my viewing spot at the Air Force Base gates. It's still the only one I've ever seen or had use for, and the Cape is a bit devoid of destination chargers overall. There are plenty of superchargers on the way up but since you do tend to wait around for a few hours before the launch it would be useful charging time nonetheless.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's one odd example where I do need the Chademo adapter. I go to Cape Canaveral to watch rocket launches frequently, and there is actually a Chademo station nearby my viewing spot at the Air Force Base gates. It's still the only one I've ever seen or had use for, and the Cape is a bit devoid of destination chargers overall. There are plenty of superchargers on the way up but since you do tend to wait around for a few hours before the launch it would be useful charging time nonetheless.
If you check Plugshare, there are a lot of charging spots in the area. The KSC Visitor Center has Tesla connectors as well.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI, the Hampton Inn in Cocoa Beach has destination chargers as does the Marriot next door to it. You probably need to be a guest to use them in both cases.

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you check Plugshare, there are a lot of charging spots in the area. The KSC Visitor Center has Tesla connectors as well.
I should have more specifically mentioned charging access in the immediate areas of the launches. The visitor center is the most official option but I never watch from there, tickets are expensive and the viewing angle actually has the tower blocking the rockets at liftoff. I like Playalinda Beach north of the pads for the closest and best daytime viewing (but absolutely zero charging options), and the Air Force base gates by the cruise port for when the SpaceX boosters come back and land there. That one Chademo station there is actually perfect so I will pay up for the adapter, and the others are just further away. Chademo also means I can fast charge and skip one of the supercharger stops I'd normally have to make on the way home.

Here are a few shots of the Arabsat-6a Falcon Heavy mission I watched from Playalinda back in April. There are usually many Tesla owners out there that are also SpaceX fans, and it's funny always bumping into some of them at the same Melbourne and West Palm superchargers on the way back. And there is another one even closer to the Cape opening soon according to Tesla's updated network map.

IMG_2601.jpg IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2703.png

Last edited:

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's another reason I'll personally need Chademo. I totally forgot about my hometown of Port Charlotte which I still visit for family and holidays. They have always been a dead zone for the Supercharger network, the closest ones being 45 minutes north in Sarasota or 45 minutes south in Fort Myers with no future location in between coming either. Port Charlotte is however covered by two very conveniently placed DC fast charging stations from EVgo and Electrify America that I'll be able to make use of with the new adapter. Checking them out on Plugshare, I saw an Audi E-Tron that was pulling 143kW at the EA one according to the owner. Good stuff.

2B20FEED-2644-44BB-BF64-E396945FD894.jpeg 2D340876-60C4-47F9-A067-BE254D94B0DC.jpeg 406A3FE9-02D3-4F17-84D2-052EFF11F883.jpeg

Last edited:

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Short answer: no.

You only "need" to know about if you have just about any other EV besides a Tesla. CHAdeMO has been the defacto charging in the US for many years and only recent has CCS started being introduced. Most of the CHAdeMO chargers have had CCS added. My guess is that there are essentially 0 CCS only chargers while there are a fair number of CHAdeMO chargers and a LOT of CHAdeMO chargers that were updated tin include CCS.

It's amazing how Tesla owners just don't know that there is a whole 'nother world out there.

Notice a difference???

Atlanta Superchargers
1564364894303.png

Other DC Fast chargers
1564364780410.png

NickyM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yah, it's on a need to know basis. I don't need to know. :D
This line of thinking in life oftentimes prevents you from discovering info that you do, in fact, need to know.

I have benefitted greatly from studying my non-Supercharger options around Florida. Between the ChargePoint and PlugShare apps I now know of several crucial locations to fill in the blanks of the Supercharger network I would not have found otherwise. And I have always coveted public DC fast charging stations for the specific reasons I've posted about so the Chademo adapter news has been exciting.

I personally try to avoid the whole "walled garden" attitude. It's all the same electrons. The more access I have to them on the road, from whatever source, the better. Bring on the dongles.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You only "need" to know about if you have just about any other EV besides a Tesla.
Given that this is a Tesla forum, and the question was asked within a Model 3 subforum, I think we can safely assume that the OP is asking about charging a Tesla Model 3.

What that pretty map doesn't tell you is that the vast majority of those Chademo chargers top out at 50kW.

Also, if you look at only CCS chargers, the map of Atlanta looks almost identical to the Chademo map. It appears that a majority of those charging stations are now dual chademo-ccs stations.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And? That's still a fast charge you may need in a no Supercharger zone.
I agree that chademo can be useful. But Atlanta is not one of these "no supercharger" zones. And 50kW is 3 times slower than a 150kW supercharger. A Tesla owner should only be worrying about chademo if there is no other choice, or if they're in a unique situation that makes it convenient.

The $450 spent on a chademo adapter pays for a lifetime of supercharging.