DIY Trunk light

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PaulK

Country
Country
I also installed an LED strip light in the recessed channel of the cross member. Works great and is invisible unless you put your head inside the trunk.

I also found that the included adhesive failed after a few temperature swings. I used a dab of contact cement (like construction adhesive) every few inches and now it stays put and flush.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Without checking the forum I attempted to use the same strip LEDs as above and I tapped in to the wires of the left side trunk light. I tested it and the strip LED lit up nicely. After a little time the LED went out and the right side light was still lit. I removed the led wires that I tapped in near the connector and reconnected to the original Tesla light. This light now does not work. I checked for voltage, no voltage. I was extremely careful not to short any wires together. Could 18 inches of LED strip cause to much draw on the system? I'm now worried I tripped a breaker of some type. Help! Any suggestions? Thanks

Darelldd

Without checking the forum I attempted to use the same strip LEDs as above and I tapped in to the wires of the left side trunk light. I tested it and the strip LED lit up nicely. After a little time the LED went out and the right side light was still lit. I removed the led wires that I tapped in near the connector and reconnected to the original Tesla light. This light now does not work. I checked for voltage, no voltage. I was extremely careful not to short any wires together. Could 18 inches of LED strip cause to much draw on the system? I'm now worried I tripped a breaker of some type. Help! Any suggestions? Thanks
18 inches is a lot of LEDs! I don't know what sort of buffer the system would have... and would have to test the draw of your 18" strip. But even if you did trip the breaker, it will reset itself once the issue is resolved. You sure that you didn't cut any of the factory wires, creating an "open" (opposite of a short)? That's about all I can think of if the other side remains working (which is another indication that the breaker was not tripped).

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for your response Darelidd, No wires were cut so no opens were created. Hopefully in a few days the original light will come on and maybe Ill try a shorter strip of LEDs. Actually, my strip looked close to the length that Chojn1 posted.

Darelldd

Thanks for your response Darelidd, No wires were cut so no opens were created. Hopefully in a few days the original light will come on and maybe Ill try a shorter strip of LEDs. Actually, my strip looked close to the length that Chojn1 posted.
How did you "tap" into the wires? Depending on the type of tap, those can sever a wire while the insulation can still hold it together enough to make it appear unbroken.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you did trip one of the breakers it will reset, but it requires a certain amount of time or disconnecting power from the car under the back seat. There are some write up on that, I believe from Mountain Pass Performance. Do some searches here, it was learned that one of those lights actually stays on longer than the other after you close the trunk, you may have experienced that. I believe the light on the passenger side remains on longer after you close the trunk.

To say the least you've not likely done any permanent danger, but search here more for trunk lights, etc. Others have already blazed this road for you.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you did trip one of the breakers it will reset, but it requires a certain amount of time or disconnecting power from the car under the back seat. There are some write up on that, I believe from Mountain Pass Performance.
Here you go:

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/tesla-model-3-hard-reset/

"Have you ever had your radio stop working all day? Rearview camera only shows black? Performing a soft reset holding down the steering wheel buttons can’t always fix your problems. This guide will show you how to perform a hard reset on your Model 3 in a matter of minutes, and using only one tool."
Hello friends!

Sasha's music streaming stopped working for a full day last week, and after we got it back up and running using this procedure we realized it would be selfish to not share it with all of you.

This guide will walk you through how to perform a hard reset on your Tesla Model 3, and hopefully, save you a trip to the SC!

Please let us know what issues you were having and if this helped you resolve them, we would love to hear it.

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/tesla-model-3-hard-reset/

- Jesse

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I carefully removed insulation of wires near light connection, no copper was severed. I staggered the removals by an inch or so. Wrapped the LED connections and taped. My plan was to solder but test first. Test failed after a minuet, LEDs lite up but went out. I unwrapped the connections, taped put back to original condition still no light or voltage. Shut car down, woke it snd still no light. Checked it again after two hours, still no light. After 10 hours lights back on! Yea, i didn't smoke my Tesla! Maybe ill try a little shorter strand.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
LED strips come in different lengths with corresponding different power draws. What is less obvious is that they come in different densities also. The more the number of LEDs per inch the more power draw per inch.
In addition there are different power LEDs. So all three factors must be taken into account.