DIY Trunk light

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How is the led strip installed in the trunk ceiling? Is it screwed in or tapes?

PhenomeNhan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How is the led strip installed in the trunk ceiling? Is it screwed in or tapes?
Some LED strips come with a double-sided backing tape you can just install onto the trunk ceiling. Others will not, and you would either have to get some 3M double-side tape.

I'll probably go back and modify mine to put the LED strip into an aluminum channel and let the plastic light diffuser make it look better and more integrated. I bought the 6-pack version of these for a couple of other projects:

quadmasta

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some LED strips come with a double-sided backing tape you can just install onto the trunk ceiling. Others will not, and you would either have to get some 3M double-side tape.

I'll probably go back and modify mine to put the LED strip into an aluminum channel and let the plastic light diffuser make it look better and more integrated. I bought the 6-pack version of these for a couple of other projects:

I agree that the aluminum channel adds a better look
img_20180827_194212-jpg.14175

Darelldd

I agree that the aluminum channel adds a better look
But if totally hidden, the "look" doesn't matter much. I tucked mine into the indent on the cross-member at the top of the trunk. I basically did this same mod back when I was updating all of my factory lights. I decided to just add three emitters in the top center though. It is plenty of light, without being blinding. So great to have light in the center back of the trunk!

181008-004-jpg.17464

Darelldd

Some people have bought the Abstract Ocean replacement puddle lights for the front doors and used the OEM take outs for the trunk. Apparently they are much brighter.
Interesting. First I've heard of that. I've ripped the guts out of every one of my stock modules, so can't say one way or another. ALL of mine are much brighter than stock now.

Brighter isn't the whole story though. This mod goes beyond "bright" and ups the ante with proper placement. The trunk side lights work great if the trunk is empty. But put stuff in there that blocks those side lights, and you'll be happy to have something in the deep recess.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now that the kids are occupying my 3D printers for a while, I've decided to turn to my solder iron for today's project:

View attachment 10998
Here it is mounted:

View attachment 10999

I know Abstract Ocean already have an excellent solution for this, but for me, the fun is in building it myself.
And the before and after pictures:

View attachment 11000
View attachment 11001
These pics helped. My LED strip came with just 3"of wire. I'm trying to think of something around the house where I could steal a foot of wire so I have enough to work with...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i also tripped a fuse or the equivalent. i just moved the t tap to the other side and it worked. this is the first i've heard of needing to wait a few days for it to reset itself. can someone give me add'l background on how the fuse system works in situations like this?

some of you may already know this but the double sided tape that comes w/the LEDs does not work very well. it falls right off the center channel. i had to use double sided tape to secure it.

Edit/update: the trunk light referenced above turned back on. Took maybe 3 hours or less.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i just moved the t tap to the other side and it worked.
@substance12 can you please clarify what you mean by "other side"? Do you mean you moved the 'T' to tap into the existing light on the right side of the trunk or did you move it to tap instead into the light on the left side? (Since it's not clear which side you originally started with, it would be helpful to know.)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@substance12 can you please clarify what you mean by "other side"? Do you mean you moved the 'T' to tap into the existing light on the right side of the trunk or did you move it to tap instead into the light on the left side? (Since it's not clear which side you originally started with, it would be helpful to know.)
i originally installed it on the left side. i screwed something up and the trunk light (and the LED mod) on the left side stopped working. i moved the TTAP to the right side and it worked again. 3 hrs later the light on the left turned back on.

PhenomeNhan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@PhenomeNhan any idea what the cause was for tripping the fuse?
I can't remember specifically, but I think it was because I forgot to disconnect before cutting into the wire :D

But I've also tripped a fuse while disconnecting one of rear door LEDs for another project. This same action did not cause a trip previously (front door LEDs). It seems Tesla is quite sensitive.

PhenomeNhan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i also tripped a fuse or the equivalent. i just moved the t tap to the other side and it worked. this is the first i've heard of needing to wait a few days for it to reset itself. can someone give me add'l background on how the fuse system works in situations like this?

some of you may already know this but the double sided tape that comes w/the LEDs does not work very well. it falls right off the center channel. i had to use double sided tape to secure it.

Edit/update: the trunk light referenced above turned back on. Took maybe 3 hours or less.
It was very difficult trying to find specific info on this. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this subject. This was the best I could find while searching for my answers after my 'fiasco' :D For some reason, the trunk took that long to reset but the one of the rear doors took a few hours, whereas the other one took about a day (didn't really check after the 4th hour).

https://abstractocean.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360008501291-The-Model-3-Fuses-

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model 3 uses shunt devices to measure current draw and transistors to control the power. And of course software behind all that to decide when to shut off power and when to restore. It is a neat technology but not new. My 2011 F150 uses it in the Body Control Module to control power to the lighting circuits. It also has fuses. The following is a long excerpt form the service manual.
Note that the circuits mentioned below are Halogen lights not LEDs but the principles are the same.

Field-Effect Transistor (FET) Protection

A Field-Effect Transistor (FET) is a type of transistor that, when used with module software, monitors and controls current flow on module outputs. The FET protection strategy prevents module damage in the event of excessive current flow.

The BCM utilizes a FET protective circuit strategy for many of its outputs (such as a headlamp output circuit). Output loads (current level) are monitored for excessive current (typically short circuits) and are shut down when a fault event is detected. A short circuit DTC is stored at the fault event and a cumulative counter is started.

When the demand for the output is no longer present, the module resets the FET protection, allowing the circuit to function. If the circuit is still shorted the next time the driver requests a circuit to activate that has been shut down by a previous short ( FET protection), the FET protection shuts off the circuit again and the cumulative counter advances.

When the excessive circuit load occurs often enough, the module shuts down the output until a repair procedure is carried out. Each FET protected circuit has 3 predefined levels of short circuit tolerance based on the harmful effect of each circuit fault on the FET and the ability of the FET to withstand it. A module lifetime level of fault events is established based upon the durability of the FET . If the total tolerance level is determined to be 600 fault events, the 3 predefined levels would be 200, 400 and 600 fault events.

When a tolerance level is reached, the short circuit DTC that was stored on the first failure cannot be cleared by the clear the continuous DTCs command. The module does not allow this code to be cleared or the circuit restored to normal operation until a successful self-test proves that the fault has been repaired. After the self-test has successfully completed (no on-demand DTCs present), DTC U1000:00 and the associated DTC (the DTC related to the shorted circuit) automatically clears and the circuit function returns. The module never resets the fault event counter to zero and continues to advance the fault event counter as short circuit fault events occur.

If the number of short circuit fault events reach the third level, then DTCs U1000:00 and U3000:49 set along with the associated short circuit DTC. DTC U3000:49 cannot be cleared and the module must be replaced after the repair.

The BCM FET protected output circuits for the headlamp system are both low and high beam output circuits.

So even though you think it's OK when the circuit resets, a counter may be monitoring the number of faults and cause the logic to do something else later. Like not restore power.

Ellsworth

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got mine done, but with some difficulty, including tripping the fuse (or whatever it is Tesla has). Had to wait a couple of days for the 3 to reset the 'fuse' :D
PhenomeNhan,

Do you know anything about what eventually reset the circuit protection mechanism? Or did you just find it working one day?

Regards,

Ellsworth

PhenomeNhan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
PhenomeNhan,

Do you know anything about what eventually reset the circuit protection mechanism? Or did you just find it working one day?

Regards,

Ellsworth
Ellsworth,

I do not know what the timing is for the reset. As Feathermerchant explained in the above post, the Tesla software decides the shut-off/restore timing.